Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pee on the carpet!!

solo-nicolas
July 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Recently our 15 month old black lab Solo has started the bad habit of relieving his bladder on our area rug while we're at work. It's happened 3 times now!

My wife comes home at lunch to let him outside and to play, so he only has to hold it for 3-4 hours at most. I see no other alternative for our situation other than crating him again until he learns, which I would rather not do obviously. Is he getting lazy? Does he have a bladder condition?

Anyone with experience or thoughts on our situation? Febreeze is expensive!:shrug:

aslan
July 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
It could be an infection, have you made any changes recently.

solo-nicolas
July 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
We have not, but we will be changing his food now that we are better informed! He doesn't seem to have discomfort urinating either.

Chaser
July 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Be sure to thoroughly clean your carpet with an enzyme pet stain cleaner...barring a physical problem, any reamining smell of the urine will draw him back to the spot. If it's possible you could also try blocking access to the room if that's the only place he seems to be doing it.

solo-nicolas
July 22nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
Blocking access is a great idea! I'll look into the enzyme cleaner too. Thanks! :thumbs up

14+kitties
July 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
May I suggest you take him into the vet for a quick checkup just to make sure it isn't a medical problem.

It is possible the first time he went he just couldn't hold it any longer. After that it may be because he could still smell it. Not sure Febreeze would cut it. Pet stores have some very good urine cleaners now. I just can't remember the names of any at the moment.

Does he get lots to drink before you go to work? Maybe that could be it too.

Crating is not a bad thing. Please don't think it's a punishment for him. Make sure he has been taken outside just before you leave for work, give him a kong filled with peanut butter and kibble (frozen for a while) to chew on and he is a happy puppy until you get back.

A lot of dogs get so used to the routine that they head that way automatically as soon as the owners get ready to leave. My two years ago would head for their crates as soon as I got my purse out. They knew I was going out and that's where they went.

solo-nicolas
July 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Crating isn't a bad thing, I agree. He still hangs out in it once in awhile. Our preference for him is his preference. As long as he doesn't eat our sofa! :thumbs up I'll look into some better urine removers too.