Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

CatCam & CatTrack- GPS cat trackers and cameras

kathryn
July 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/pe_catcam1.htm

http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/PICS/CCTRIP1_04.JPG

http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/PICS/CCTRIP2_05.JPG

Really neat stuff! I know everyone on here want's cats to be inside.. but you have to admit.. this is AWESOME!

Basically it's a really small camera that you attached to your cats collar, and is it goes on about it's day it snaps pictures, or I think you can even take them from your computer?

Also there's a GPS tracker where it connects to google earth and you can see where your cat has been and what time he was there.

I'm thinking of getting both actually. Buddy disappears into the woods for up to 4 hours at a time sometimes.. and it drives me crazy! Most of the time he stays right outside my yard and plays with his best friend Tigger, but some days he just runs off for a bit. I'd really like to know what he does and where he goes... in all honesty I think he just sleeps a few yards from my backyard and ignores me when I call for him XD

Neat stuff isn't it?

katherine93
July 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
that is pretty cool, does it work for dogs as a 'just in case they get away' type thing?

kathryn
July 22nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
that is pretty cool, does it work for dogs as a 'just in case they get away' type thing?

I don't think so... I think at this point once the cat gets home you plug it in and then see where the cat has been. It appears the person is working on Real Time things though. Alot of it's in German so I don't really know :loser:

ancientgirl
July 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Mine are all inside but it would be interesting to see what they do on a daily basis.

kathryn
July 25th, 2008, 09:24 PM
It's official, my moms letting me order the tracker! Hahaha... 53$ total.

I hate wasting money, but i really feel this is an interesting little gadget. If I don't like it I'll just sell it to someone else.

Buddy was gone for like 5 hours today and it drove me crazy. I had seen him earlier and went to bring him in because I noticed he had a ton of burrs stuck in his fur, and the little brat runs off and starts doing his cat and mouse routine (the closer you come the more he backs up just to mess with you)... so then he finally came home for dinner.

I think he must have a second family or something now. Or else he's just sleeping right outside the backyard.

Hope I find out something interesting. I'll let everyone know how it is once I get it probably in 2 weeks or so.

Maybe my cat is a superhero in disguise.. but then I would blow his cover :loser:

ancientgirl
July 25th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Oh, let us know what you manage to get on film. :D

kathryn
July 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
The cameras are on backorder now.. I just got the GPS tracker. It's really tiny and comes with a holder to stick it to the collar.

I hope Buddy doesn't loose his collar or I'll be mad. It's not in real time tracking, it just registers every so many seconds and when the kitty gets home, you plug it in and it pulls up where he was and when on Google Earth.

I really am interested in buying the camera too if I like the tracker. I could only afford one or another at this time, and since the cameras aren't available ATM I got the tracker.

Imagine if I find out he hikes like 10 miles down the road or something ???

I really can't even imagine what I'm going to find out with this weirdo.

kathryn
August 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I got the tracker today! It is not totally accurate though. It crosses over buildings and stuff because it's set to track every 15 seconds. So if Buddy i behind a building and runs around it to the front, it tracks it as if her climbed over the roof. It's fairly decent other wise though. Sometimes if there's too much tree coverage it doesn't track, so it seems like he has moved a few hundred feet in 15 seconds, but really it just skipped a few tracks because the trees were to dense.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/katsart/cattracker.jpg

That's from being outside about 2 hours tonight. I hooked it up to a safety collar. The manual recommends using a harness, but it also states obviously the cat can't get out of it if he gets caught on something. So I'm more worried about my cats safety then a 50$ piece of plastic.

It's interesting. Look where he went...!! all over the place!! He almost made it to my grandmoms house!!