Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate training puppy

apreston
July 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I have a 3 month old siberian husky puppy, he has free roam of the house during the day but for the night he has to go into a crate, but he wines barks etc.will this go away after time ? And would anyone recamend putting him outdoors with his crate at night?

allymack
July 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
hey,

when he whinesin his crate, ignore it..at all costs, it may be extremely annoying, but it will help. If you give in and give him attention he will continue to whine and cry because he knows that will get him what he wants..attention from you. Anotehr thing you can do is put a towel over the crate so he cant see out. only do that if necessary. Also try giveing him a toy that is safe, like a kong with peanut butter in it. Iw ouldnt reccomend putting him in hig crate outside at night either. There are too many risks with it, the chance that he could be stolen, raccoons. ( if you have them) also, severe weather, like very hot on summer nights and very cold on winter nights.

BusterBoo
July 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
It does take a while to crate train a puppy (3 months is still very young). If he has free roam all day, then he is probably wondering why he has to be in a crate during the night. Where do you keep his crate at night, is it by your bed? If you put the crate beside your bed, you will be able to "ssshhhh" him at night and that is usually what they want....to know that you are close. Does he have access to his crate during the day if he wants to go rest?

It took me a few weeks to get Buster used to being in his crate all day and I started him in it when he was a lot older (because he was making messes on the carpet). when I started, I would just throw a treat in the crate, he would go in and eat and I would leave the door open so he didn't feel punished. Then I started closing the door when he was in the crate sleeping.

Now when I leave for work, I put his kong (with peanut butter and treats), a bone, a small amount of food and water and tell him "Go in your house".... he goes in, I close the door and leave. I don't baby him, he knows that's the routine. When I come home, he stays laying down until I have put my stuff away and then I open his door and he goes CRAZY!!!!!! :crazy:

Be patient, it takes time......:thumbs up

apreston
July 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I keep him in our master bath as we live in a mobile home, should i put him in the crate for awhile during the day as well so he can get used to it ? thx for the help:)

BusterBoo
July 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I keep him in our master bath as we live in a mobile home, should i put him in the crate for awhile during the day as well so he can get used to it ? thx for the help:)

Can you put his crate in your bedroom at night??? Thay way if he cries you can just put your finger through the crate and give him a command....ssshhhh or quiet. He is more than likely missing you at night.

I would leave his crate open to him during the day, throw in some treats, make it a happy place to go! It will take time for him to understand that it isn't a punishment, it's a safe place to relax and sleep.

Dingo
July 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
The whining and crying will stop, as soon as (and only when) he realizes that it doesn't get a response.