Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog food suggestions

qhgirl1
July 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I am going to be getting my friend's dog sometime in the next couple months. He is a lab/plott hound mix and is right around a year old. He has not had good nutrition at any point in his life, imo. He was on Ol' Roy for the vast majority and is now on Purina One Large Breed. Ideally he should weigh around 70 pounds. He has A LOT of energy and is constantly on the go, hence he tends to be on the leaner side. When he was younger it wasn't unusual for him to eat 8 cups of the Ol' Roy a day.

When I get him I am definitely going to be changing his food. I was looking at Candiae, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, and Innova primarily. I am also considering some of the puppy formulas and higher fat formulas since it is hard to keep weight on him.

Anyone have any opinions? I'm not used to feeding a large dog...I'm just used to my little beagle mix :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Frenchy
July 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I was looking at Candiae, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, and Innova primarily.

All good choices , I've tried (I mean my dogs :p) Canidae and really liked it.

qhgirl1
July 20th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Candiae is what I am currently feeding my beagle. It would simplify things to feed them both the same thing but only as long as its something that will work for the both of them.

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM
When he was younger it wasn't unusual for him to eat 8 cups of the Ol' Roy a day.

When I get him I am definitely going to be changing his food.

Has he been vet checked and dewormed? 8 cups of food per day is more than twice as much as most feeding guides list, even for the cr@ppy foods.