Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My "lesson" on breeding English Bulldogs... (UGH)

jaclmickles
July 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
This is my long rant. Sorry to put you all through this. However, this is the one place I knew I could come and rant to.

My neighbor has a "friend," who came over to our house to see our dogs tonight. First, I'm not fond of this guy to begin with. Then, when I thought he was finally leaving, he broke into the story of how he used to breed these English Bulldogs. :wall:
This guy went into the specifics as to how to artificially inseminate them (very graphic) since they apparently can't breed on their own. My initial thought on this was, "Then maybe they shouldn't be bred at all." Then he went into telling me about them having to have c-sections since they can't deliver on their own. (See initial thought above.) After that, of course, was informing me how to care for newborn puppies, which I already know, followed by how to wean them.
As if that wasn't enough, he started telling me about his "world champion" and how everybody wanted his sperm. (The dog's, not the guy's. :laughing: ) Then I got to hear about freezing sperm. I'm sure you all could imagine what all that entailed. After that, he informed me of how many hundreds of vials of this dog's sperm he had on ice when it died. Followed by the qualifications the females had to meet in order to be inseminated with it. :frustrated:
The only silver lining was when he commented that of course he only followed one rule: That the breeding he did was strictly for the betterment of the breed. Then, of course, he had to throw in that if any puppies did not meet his standards, he would just have it put down.

:yell:

I would have loved to have been able to get this guy to leave. Unfortunately, he doesn't shut up long enough for any one else to get a word in. Then again, why should he: He knows everything. :rolleyes: :loser:

Okay, sorry, rant's over for now. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam.

Frenchy
July 19th, 2008, 10:48 PM
I've been there ... I mean hearing people talking about breeding .... and sometimes I just don't bother saying anything , I just leave. It brings your body temp way up don't it ? :frustrated:

those poor dogs , being force to get pregnant and c-sections :frustrated:

allymack
July 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
i have heard that a few times before that bulldogs actually dog need c- sections becuase the pups heads are to big to fit out..or somehting liek that:o although i have never heard of them not being able to breed on their own, i mean they must have beeing doing it for sometime now..without help from humans..but its very annoying listening to people go on like that know everything, when they really know very little:loser:

jaclmickles
July 19th, 2008, 11:04 PM
This was really bad. It wasn't just a simple, "Yeah, I used to breed and show English Bulldogs." He got graphic; talking about the left and right fallopian tubes, the speed of withdrawing the syringe, and that was just the beginning.
Why would anyone want to cross-breed a dog to begin with, let alone one that can't even reproduce itself? I had to listen to some guy at my husband's office tell me he intentionally wanted to breed his dog with a different breed just beacuse. :eek: Of course I asked him why he would want to breed his dog for a mutt. (After all, there are pleanty out there already that need homes.)

momsloopy
July 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM
[/QUOTE]"Then maybe they shouldn't be bred at all." [QUOTE]

:sad:I Love my English Bulldog and it makes me sad to hear that someone would think she was to much trouble not to have been bred at all.:sad: Her mother had to have a c-section for the health of both the mother and her 5 pups, but I think she was worth all that trouble. She is the sweetest puppy:lovestruck:

I am sorry you had to listen to a "know it all" for alittle while but I get to enjoy my English bully for I hope quite a few years:)

allymack
July 19th, 2008, 11:40 PM
i agree there was defineately no need for him to get all graphic about the description, i mean your right he could have said oh i used to show and breed english bulldogs..i mean if you asked more about it ( which it definately seems like you didnt, lol) i could see him going in to a bit mroe detail, but still as far as he went..

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I've only had an experience like that at the vets office and decided to shut my mouth and not cause trouble, since I felt like telling the person she was an idiot.

But I'd be hard pressed to keep quiet in my own home. Man, that guy was a real jerk. There's no need to be so descriptive, especially if he didn't know you very well and should have been more conscious you may not feel the same way about breeding than he does.