Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teeny weeny steps in progress.

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Not much happening in progress, but just a little bit. I haven't let Czarina out since the incredibly hard time I had this past week getting her back in the kitchen after letting her out for a bit.

Twice today Oksana has gotten in the kitchen, only to be followed by Maks in the morning and now Vlad this evening.

Oksana usually goes in, they eye each other and Oksana gets on the counter and up onto the cabinets. This morning Maks followed her in and he got close enough to Czarina for her to hesitantly touch her nose with his. She hissed and swatted at him only seconds later so I got him out of there as well as Oksana.

Now this evening Vlad followed Oksana in. Same thing, Vlad and Czarina touched noses, she hissed he meowed which sounded like "what's your problem tease?" LOL. She didn't swat at Vlad, but she turned and walked over to the screen and laid herself down. I did the same though, I got Vlad out of there and Oksana too.

I'll take it as a good sign that Czarina did allow the millisecond of contact so I'm going to just keep things going the way they have been for a while. Until I feel comfortable she won't lunge at any of the others I won't be letting her out again.

So that's it. Nothing major but it's something right?

krdahmer
July 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM
That is great! But isn't taking Vlad and Oksana out as soon as she hisses sort of giving her exactly what she wants, to be left alone? I'm just wondering if she'll ever get used to them being around if as soon as there is any contact, they get taken away. (Of course if they are in danger, and she is too upset, you have to do that.) The fact that they've been getting in and she's ok until they're right in her face is a big step! :thumbs up

It's amazing that she's come so far already... not that long ago, she didn't even use a litter box! Or I imagine even know what toys were! It just makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing she's safe and learning so many new things... soon enough that will include getting along with other cats! :fingerscr

krdahmer
July 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Oh and just some light for the end of your tunnel...

Right now Smoke is in her cubby by the desk here... and Palomine is just inches above her on top of it.... not one hiss or growl! :eek: And these moments are 3 years in the making! So by that standard, Czarina is actually going by leaps and bounds not baby steps!!!:laughing:

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2008, 07:05 PM
That is great! But isn't taking Vlad and Oksana out as soon as she hisses sort of giving her exactly what she wants, to be left alone? I'm just wondering if she'll ever get used to them being around if as soon as there is any contact, they get taken away. (Of course if they are in danger, and she is too upset, you have to do that.) The fact that they've been getting in and she's ok until they're right in her face is a big step! :thumbs up

You know, I thought about that after I did it. But I just don't have enough trust in her to just leave them all in there. I know I have to give her the benefit of the doubt at some point, but just this morning she was swatting and hissing up a storm at Vlad through the screen.

I think if there was a fight, she would probably put a hurting on Maks. He's about her size, but she out weighs him and he's so non confrontational and skittish to begin with. Vlad, if she tried to fight with him, I'm sure he could defend himself but I'd rather not have any bad blood because of a fight.

Vlad and Oksana fight, but even though I hear meows and screeching I don't believe they would ever hurt themselves badly. I feel differently towards Czarina because she's lived outdoors for so long. LOL, I equate them to Czarina being the city mouse and my gang being country mice. She's more "wordly" than my gang.

I'm hoping that in another month I'll be able to see more progress. I have been just allowing Oksana to get into the kitchen and when I saw Vlad and Maks come in I stood back and watched.

I really hope it doesn't take Czarina 3 years to get along with the rest of the gang. :eek:

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Oh and just some light for the end of your tunnel...

Right now Smoke is in her cubby by the desk here... and Palomine is just inches above her on top of it.... not one hiss or growl! :eek: And these moments are 3 years in the making! So by that standard, Czarina is actually going by leaps and bounds not baby steps!!!:laughing:

I'm glad Smoke is at least comfortable enough to be close enough to Palomine and no fur is flying.

14+kitties
July 19th, 2008, 08:20 PM
IMO I think you should take every little second they are in the same room without major incidence as a giant step forward. I would let them do a little more swatting at each other if that will help settle things. Sometimes that's all it takes. They just have to prove to one another that they are the tough ones and then it's all gravy.
Just keep your spray bottle handy. Or something that you can drop on the floor to make a loud noise, something to startle them. Even a whistle. But if they are in the same room and not allowed to follow through a little on the process it may take longer.
Like I said, JMO. I get to start with mine in a couple of weeks when Minimo is recouperated from her surgery. Unless I try to adopt her.
Mmmmmm, anyone want a totally feral kitty?

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
LOL, I had a towel in my hand. I thought of grabbing the faucet sprayer but then though, if anything happened, I'd have to mop up a lot of water.

I do think you're right. Any incident met with not a lot of violence has to be good.

katherine93
July 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I admit, I have no experiance with this, buuut, I have heard somebody talk about this method, and they said it worked. So.. Is it possiblle to get 2 large metal dog crates like this http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3106/2488663955_8a7cf5f5b5.jpg?v=0
(maybe borrow them/ Buy second hand) And set them up right next to each other and put Czarina in one, and oksana in the other one. For the first few days of doing this, keep them in it for 10 minutes. Then a few days later, put them in for 20 minutes, then in a few days,30 minutes. They can still swat, but the can get away from each other and nobody will get hurt. It doesnt stress them out as much as just letting them encounter each other in a big, open room. Keep your spray bottle on hand and squirt if one hisses/swats/anything not nice. And when they are good, praise them. Even a nice firm NO when they are misbehaving is effective. You think this would help at all?

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Right now, I can't afford two of those cages. The screen helps in that they swat and can't get at each other. The others are good at just leaving her alone when she starts to swat. Where I need to get things moving along is them being in the same room with nothing separating them and not worry about anybody getting hurt. I'm almost there, but not quite.:D