Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing puppy to young cats

yettiyodamarlo
July 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm getting a Bernese puppy tomorrow and we're all set and ready to go, the only thing I'm still worried about is how my two cats that are between 4-6 months apprx. will react.

I've read that it's okay if the cats swat or hiss to let the puppy know what behaviour is acceptable, but at the same time I've heard horror stories from the vet about pups losing their eyes from cat swatting! :eek:

I'd like both dog and cats to get along and any tips or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated! :)

sugarcatmom
July 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Here is a good article on how to introduce dogs and cats: http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Cats.pdf

Chaser
July 19th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry, I have zero experience with cats. But I am completely in love with Berners and I am begging you in advance to post pictures when you get your puppy!

yettiyodamarlo
July 21st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the link, sugarcatmom!

LOL, I will def. post pics ASAP chase_mom : )
very happy to show off my little ball of fur!

phoozles
July 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
Don't know if it's mentioned in the article, but I would recommend trimming the cats' nails before the puppy gets there, just to ensure there aren't any incidents, accidental or otherwise..
Good luck, and we will definitely want to see some pictures!

yettiyodamarlo
July 21st, 2008, 04:16 PM
That's a great tip, phoozles...
thanks a bunch ! :):)

solo-nicolas
July 23rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
I'm sure your adventure has begun already, but here's my 2 cents anyway!

Fortunately for us Nicolas is a very patient and understanding cat. During the first few days we brought Solo home, it was hard to control him from jumping on, body slamming, or trying any other wrestling move he could on Nic. We both had to watch Solo carefully to ensure he wasn't getting too rough or too irritating for Nic.

During the day the best setup for us was crating Solo when we were at work. Now without the crate we created a barrier, so Nic has some space to himself. Especially his litter box!

In your case you might want to make sure the 2 cats don't get overly aggressive with the pup. I'm sure your cats have a strong bond!

possum
July 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Two tips that we found:
1. Never underestimate the ability of a puppy (even short ones) to get up high in quest of the cat. Unfortunatley the puppy isn't as agile at getting down.
2. It's a good idea to put the litter box up high where the cat can get to it but the puppy can't. But keeping in mind tip one, make sure it isn't a direct and easy route. The cat will be happier, and it's hard to kiss a dog that you find has been visiting the 'kitty snack treasure hut' :yuck:

Good luck with the transition. We had an intense beginning but with lots of supervision it's only taken a couple of months for our older kitty and new daschund to get along amicably.

BigDreams
July 26th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I have never had a problem with introducing a dog to cats before. I agree, I'd trim their nails just incase. But for the most part they left eachother alone, however occasionaly puppy would get curios (or kitties would get curios!). They'd sniff eachother, it would usualyl end up with the dog getting a nice scrape across the nose, but they'de learn. Now the dogs and cats all sleep together.