Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My day putting up the fence

erykah1310
July 19th, 2008, 09:52 AM
yesterday was full on tackle of putting up the fencing for the horses.
It did NOT go well for me.
My man escaped un-injured, however, NOT ME

First, there is a bee nest in the horse shack.
Who gets stung? ME
Where? ON THE FOREHEAD!
Who the heck gets stung on the forehead? ( ME)
So, I panic every time I get stung by a bee, just in case I am all of a sudden allergic or something.
I run to the truck and grab the mans Epi-pen ( as he has horrible reactions when he gets bit by earwigs) My brow is swelling ( naturally) and I am doing a little dance.
All in all, I didnt need to waste the Epi-pen on myself, as I am still not allergic to the little bastids *phew*

And we proceed with the posts.

I am the official "sitter on the back of the quad and hold the supplies" gurl so I am doing my job as we are transporting some goods to the site.
We hit a small crevice in the ground and the HUGE Axe proceeds to shift and slam my middle and ring finger into the rack of the bike... GREAT.
Now it feels like I have 2 crushed fingers ( which are turning blue at an alarming rate)

My man throws all the crap off the back of the quad and rushes me to the house to get me some ice and wrap my hand.

We wait it out a few minutes, blueness starts to leave, fingers swell a bit, can still move them.
Not crushed!

After this I decided it was time to wear all the PPE ( personal protective equiptment) I can find

For the rest of the post driving I am in the field with skidoo gloves, my quad helmet ( motocross one) and my goggles ( in the event the pissy bee's come after me again)

I looked like a fool, but its almost finished, should be done by noon today then
MY HORSES CAN COME HOME YAY!!!
All the pain is so worth it!

BusterBoo
July 19th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Sounds like it was quite the day!!!!

Sorry, but I can't help but laugh when I picture you in all your protective gear! :laughing:

Hope today is uneventful and the horses are home soon! :thumbs up

Frenchy
July 19th, 2008, 11:00 AM
After this I decided it was time to wear all the PPE ( personal protective equiptment) I can find

For the rest of the post driving I am in the field with skidoo gloves, my quad helmet ( motocross one) and my goggles ( in the event the pissy bee's come after me again)

Ah come on ! No picture ? It could be educating , for prone accident people :shrug:

:laughing: good luck with the rest of it , we wanna see horses pics soon :thumbs up

krdahmer
July 19th, 2008, 02:08 PM
You are hilarious! The way you retold that had me in stitches!! Hope the injuries heal quickly and that your horsies appreciate their fence!! :goodvibes:

rainbow
July 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Awww.....sorry about your owies, Erykah but I also think Guy should have taken pics in all your protective gear. :D And I'm really disappointed cuz you know how we all love a good laugh here. :laughing:

I'll settle for some horse pics though. :cloud9:

chico2
July 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Aww Erykah,I am sorry but I just had to laugh:laughing::laughing:
At least no broken fingers:thumbs up
You know once you get those horses you have to post lots of pics,I adore horses,but my backyard is too small:laughing:

Stacer
July 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Sounds like alot of unnecessary pain :laughing:

I once got stung right between my eyebrows by a ground wasp, my fore head swelled up so horribly I looked like a neaderthal.

ancientgirl
July 19th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Oh man, sounds like an I Love Lucy episode! :D But you got it done and you can now bring your new babies home!!!http://espacioforos.miarroba.com/21494/Caretos/clapping.gif

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Well, at least the fence should be done now! :highfive: :laughing:

Once the fence is up, can the horses come home right away, or do you still have to wait a few day? You must be so excited! :cloud9: So excited that you're making absolutely positive your camera battery is charged, yes? :D No...no ulterior motive or hidden agenda in my question... :p

Oh, and here's a wasp tip, Erykah (and Stacer)...and yes, I've used it and it seems to work! :thumbs up

When you get stung, get to an onion as fast as you can. (The faster you get there, the faster you get relief!) Cut a fresh slice from the onion and place a juicy surface on the site of the sting. In less than 20 minutes, the sting no longer hurts and the swelling is completely gone. I don't know how it works, but my guess is the sulfuric acid in the onion is neutralizing the venom :shrug:

If you're deathly allergic, of course, the onion should only be applied after application of the Epi-pen! :o

erykah1310
July 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Well, everything is up and running.
Now all I have to do is remember that the rope that was so fun to run my hands down in the field is now electric and not touch it and I should be fine!

No other injuries to report ( thankfully) but I have some bizarre ringing/fluttering in my ears today ( possible ear infection or another allergic reaction in them again.. who knows)

My horses come home in 4 ish hours.... I can hardly wait. The guy we are buying them from is bringing them out when he gets back from Sudbury running errands.

Pictures will soon be on their way.

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
WooooHoooooo! :highfive:

Only another threeish hours till pictures, then? :o :fingerscr

Lise
July 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM
If it makes you feel any better Daniel got a hernia from doing one of our fences and went in for surgery two days after it was finished.The really sad part is he's the only one here who doesn't ride.