Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teens in cat microwaving to get psychiaric assessment

Dingo
July 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
CAMROSE -- Microwaving a cat is "shocking" and warrants psychiatric assessments of two teenage boys, says a judge deciding their fates.

The boys, 15 and 16, were to be sentenced in a Camrose court yesterday after earlier pleading guilty in the microwave killing of a cat on Dec. 30. But Crown prosecutor John Laluk said the two weren't acting normally when they listened to the cat scream for 10 minutes.

"That suggests to me that they're not responding appropriately to certain societal norms, and that's why I want to have them looked at," said Laluk outside the court.

Judge J.H. Goss said the circumstances of the cat killing were enough to warrant mental concerns.

"I have to agree with the crown that the circumstances cry out for a deeper look," said Goss. "It is shocking."

Five teenage boys were accused of breaking into a Camrose house Dec. 29 and 30. During the first break-in, Laluk said there was evidence the boys discussed coming back the next day to harm the cat, named Princess, by putting it in the fridge or elsewhere. On Dec. 30, the cat was placed in the microwave - screaming for 10 minutes.

One of the five teens has already been found guilty, while two others go to trial in November.

Chris Millsap, lawyer for one of the accused, said an assessment wouldn't affect sentencing and that his client just wanted to be sentenced.

Judge Goss ordered the psychiatric assessment for both boys and a pre-sentence report for one of them.

They were charged with break, enter and theft under $5,000, mischief under $5,000, possession of stolen property, unlawfully killing an animal and causing unnecessary pain and suffering to an animal.

One boy has moved to Edmonton while the other still lives in Camrose where he will be entering Grade 11.

They are due back in Camrose court Sept. 4.

Soter
July 18th, 2008, 02:26 PM
OH MY GOSH! :eek:

I have never heard anything so sad and horrible. It is so so sad to hear that people do that to innocent animals. These people really are mad.

soter

momsloopy
July 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
This makes my stomach turn. Sick Sick Sick!!

NoahGrey
July 19th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I say lock them in jail and throw away the key for good. Or an eye for an eye mentality is always good and one that I truly believe in.

ACO22