Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy

lbiessen
July 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I have a l year shi tzu. For about a week and half she has thrown up about 4 times. But what is wird it is not after she eats, its when she wakes up after sleeping all night, (before she even makes it out the bed).

I brought her to the vet and the said she looked and sounded fine, but said they will treat her for worm just in case.

She is eating, but only once a day (she usually eats 1/2 cup of food twice a day). Yesterday and today I have noticed she is constipated. Anyone have a clue. Do I bring her back to the Dr. for blood work or something?

I lost my previous dog of 13 years to the Dog food recall. I cried for weeks. My heart can't handle another sick puppy.

Soter
July 22nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
I'm so sorry that i can't help you with your sick puppy problem, i don't know what is wrong with the poor thing either, but i can say i will hope that he/she gets better and that no more doggie tragedies happen with you ever again. All animals die of old age, but hopefully no more of your dogs will die of anything else. It is only in those kind of instances that it really really hurts.

My hopes are all for you and your pup

soter :)
make sure you let us know of any more news

kigndano
July 22nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
if you are concerned ask the vet to do a thorough check of ALL possibilities, including blood work etc.

cant hurt to get a clean bill of health if you can afford it.

joeysmama
July 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM
My shih tzu is almost 3. He gets the occasional tummy issues. My husband likes to give him table food and I have to watch him closely to make sure he doesn't give him any. He gave him taco meat once and that gave him diarrhea for a few days. :frustrated:

The last couple weeks he has thrown up two or three times. Yellow foamy throw up but otherwise acts fine. Hubby thinks it's the heat but he hadn't been outside for long at all when it happened. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes. He's been outside for a lot longer than that without getting sick but it was pretty humid so that might have been the problem. Is it hot where your puppy sleeps? Could he be inhaling something that's upsetting his tummy? Carpet cleaner? Febreze?

I do think that shih tzu's tend to be sensitive so I would be watching what kind of treats and food you give him. I never give him those over processed bacon-y flavored treats. He gets dry treats from the pet store or Pounce cat treats. After he goes out for his "ppe pee's and poopies" he gets a piece of chicken or egg or a drop of peanut butter on a piece of apple.

Also, I found that when he has a tummy upset a few hours of no food or water followed by a little boiled chicken and rice will help him a lot.

I don't know if any of this is helpful. If you feel in your gut that something isn't right then you should be insistent with your vet. Poor little guy--and poor you ! It's terrible to lose a pet and it just makes you even more nervous with the next one. Keep us posted !:grouphug:

kigndano
July 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
yellow foamy stuff is stomach bile.

i read that dogs can get it if their stomach sits empty too long . (overnight for example)

what helped for my doggy was to feed him a piece of bread before bedtime. hasnt had it happen since

you can also try feeding later on in the day, like lunch time and dinner time instead of breakfast and lunch if you do that.