Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Training new Puppy

momsloopy
July 17th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone

I have an 13 weeks old English Bulldog Puppy. I have been trying to house train her now for about 1 month. I am having no luck. She will not make any signs that she has to go out and I watch her like a hawk. The second my back is turned she has a puddle on the floor. I have her in a crate at night and I had blankets in for her bed, but she would pee on them too. Even if there are clothes left on the floor she will pee on them too. I took out her blankets and it seemed to help for a while but now she is back peeing and pooping whereever she gets the urg. I will spend lots of time out side with her and she will pee and poop out side and then I will bring her back in and 5 minutes later she is peeing on the floor again. Is she too young yet to understand? What am I doing wrong? My chocolate Lab was so easy to train. I do not want to paper train I would like to just train her to go outside. I have read about Doggy Doorbells. How easy are they to learn how to use? Thanks for any advice that you can give.:pawprint:

Dog Dancer
July 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Congratulations on the new puppy. I don't have a lot to offer you, puppies were a long while back for me, but I'll try a few things. Firstly, as soon as she wakes up take her outside to one area and tell her to do her business, however you choose to call it. She will need to piddle every time she wakes up. Give it a name and praise her like heck every time she goes outside. You must stay with her until she goes. If she's laying down in the living room watching TV with you, as soon as she stands up take her out. Ten minutes after she eats or drinks - take her out. Mostly though, she is just a wee baby still and you cannot expect success with her with any consistancy yet. Your best bet is to confine her to the kitchen or somewhere that won't be destroyed if she makes a mess. Do not scold her, if you catch her in the act let out a loud NO (it startles them a bit and can make them stop going) and take her outside to finish. Scolding or shaming her at this age will not help it will only make her learn to hide from you to do it. As she ages a bit and has more control you can try tethering her to you when you are in the house. That way if she gets up to go pee somewhere you will know and can lead her outside. Good luck to you, it won't be easy but will be worth the effort.

momsloopy
July 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for your advice. I think I will try and tether her that way she is never out of my site:pray:

Purpledomino
July 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Unlike Dog Dancer (who offered good advice by the way:thumbs up), I feel like I have been housetraining puppies for at least the last few years! Your puppy (who looks adorable!) will take quite a while to get into the habit of eliminating outdoors, usually consistancy isn't reached until 5-6 months...but again that will vary. Confine your pup to an area where if an accident happens, it is easily cleaned up...like lino etc. (not carpet) Like Dog Dancer mentioned....take her out OFTEN, after every sleep/nap, after playtime, after eating.... And PRAISE when she goes outside!
This is just going to take TIME....believe me, I have a five month old Minpin and he is just starting to get it, but he is still having accidents....and those times are usually OUR fault, because we left him too long. You will kind of have to train yourself first to read his cues that he has to go...and a young puppy like yours will have to go very often! The bell idea is a good one. Just hang a bell by a string to the doorknob of the door that you use to take your puppy out. When you use the door, it will make a noise. Your dog should associate that sound with going out....and usually they will ring it themself eventually. My other Minpin learned that very quickly. Good luck, be patient...and remember that she is still a baby and this will take time. Also...some pics would be nice! :lovestruck:

momsloopy
July 18th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone! I had a much more positive attitude last night and she did very well. In the morning there were no messes in the crate! I was very happy!:fingerscr

Dog Dancer
July 18th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear you had a good night. Just remember your puppy is very very young and will have accidents. Keep your cool and persevere. The other thing to be certain of is that the crate she's sleeping in isn't too large. She really only needs to be able to lay down and turn around in it. If it's too large and she has room she will poop at one end and sleep at the other. So if you have a larger crate try putting a cardboard box at the back to make it smaller to her size. As she gets bigger you can remove the box to give her more room. But a large crate will encourage accidents. And I agree, more pics are mandatory.

yettiyodamarlo
July 19th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I'm happy your pup is doing better!

Like a previous poster stated, many pups dont get the full hang of it until about 6 months... it does vary though! Don't lose hope!

Also, like dogdancer said, the crate should be the size of your pup, height and length, and a teeny bit of extra stretching room. A dog usually does not like to sleep in anything wet-- especially it's pee, and if the crate is small enough, he/she will try and wait til you take them elsewhere to do their business.

Have you ever noticed human babies tend to poop like... all the time? LOL pups are the same, and usually their metabolisms are so nutty you should take them outside right after they eat. If they aren't ready to 'go' yet, just play around with him/her outside until ready to go.

Good Luck!:thumbs up