Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Happy Ending for an old dog!

LavenderRott
July 9th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Many of you who know me, know that Rottweilers are my first love and I spend a lot of time on a forum much like this one for rottweilers.

Yesterday, someone on that forum posted about an 8 year old dog that had been dumped at the pound. Not only is he 8 years old, but he is blind. This morning when I got up, there wasn't much going on to help this guy, so I pm'ed a couple of friends here to see if they can help.

As many of you who do rescue know, foster homes are hard to find and while we like to help seniors, many are reluctant to take on a special needs dog when there are so very many young dogs to help.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Spunky has found his forever home! He is being pulled from the shelter tomorrow at 12:30 when they open and he will begin his long journey to Montana! And yes, he will be traveling through Canada! The journey starts in New Jersey, so the boy has a long way to go to get to my friend's house, but since they already have a couple of senior pugs that don't see so good, his house comes prepped for his special needs.

My friend has had a rough year. Her best friend died in February. About 2 weeks ago, she had to put one of her pugs down and just this past Monday a dear friend of her's lost her battle with cancer. Shirley is sure that her friend Laurie, who died on Monday has something to do with her getting Stevie.

My Thanks to those of you here that tried to find a place for this boy. And my deepest gratitude to those of you who find a place in your home and your heart for the older ones, who just want to be loved.

Lucky Rescue
July 10th, 2004, 12:00 AM
This is simply wonderful. Seeing old dogs dumped in shelters is, to me, one of the most heartbreaking things around.

Thank you, and thanks to your big-hearted friend. :)

badger
July 10th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Ah, the power of love. I hope he has a safe journey.

Luba
July 10th, 2004, 12:45 AM
YES way to go Sandi!

Thats amazing news :) I am so happy I hope he gets all the love he deserves and then more. I cant wait to tell everyone :D YIPPIE

chico2
July 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Lr....what a wonderful good-news story for this saturday morning :p
Good luck to your big-hearted friend and the lucky old doggie :D
Loads of hugs from all of us here,I'm sure!!!

wAggie
July 12th, 2004, 06:41 PM
YAY!!

I hope the travel goes well. and the new found union is even sweeter!! :D

LavenderRott
July 12th, 2004, 07:16 PM
They pulled two dogs out of that shelter on Saturday. The senior blind dog may not be a senior - current estimate is 5 or 6 and he seems to have some vision. The other dog is younger and is being treated for an upper respritory infection.

This afternoon this same group of people (although not the same individuals) pulled a 4 year old bitch out of a shelter in Tennessee that is notorious for euthanizing dogs the minute they are released from the adoption hold that is put on strays. She is suffering from sarcoptic mange and literally has no hair from her rib cage back.

Spoiled
July 14th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Thats great! Good luck to all of you! :D

sammiec
July 14th, 2004, 04:57 PM
You are so wonderful! And so is your friend! I got all teary eyed reading that story!! That's got to be the best thing anyone could do for these older animals that have been turned over to shelters. All they need is a loving home for the remainder of their time rather then it being cut short because of their age. Wonderful news!! Thank you for sharing!! :D

Missy
July 14th, 2004, 05:34 PM
That's so wonderful, it's the older dogs that really makes me sad and I love hearing when they find forever homes. My next adoption (once Molly gets a little older) will definitely be a senior pet. It would have been this time but my husband fell in love with her and that was the end of it.

I didn't know much about this breed before but I sure have learned a lot from your posts. They really are beautiful animals.