Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cross eyed cat

kathryn
July 17th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I was talking about Tigger before... I finally got some pictures where you can see his eyes. Was wondering if anyone could explain why his eyes are crossed. My neighbor owns him.. he's bestest friends with my Buddy :)

His pupils are up and to the middle of his face like he is looking at his forehead.

http://i33.tinypic.com/a1mxu.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/352f6op.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/fa8o05.jpg

Any ideas? Someone before mentioned him being..Siamese ?? He clearly doesn't look Siamese or anything. He is just striped.

Just curious. No one has been able to tell me so far. I'm about to just take him to see my vet tech friend Tara and have her tell me :D

chico2
July 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Katheryn,Siamese cats look inwards not upwards like this kitty,I think there is something wrong with his eyes and should be looked at.
He probably cannot even see very well:sad:

kathryn
July 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM
He was one of the ones that ended up at the shelter... and when I went to get him back I pointed it out. He was on alot of medication for about a month at the shelter because they said he had an infection... but said his cross eyes were okay and he could see fine.

It is weird isn't it? I test his vision all the time and he's sharp as could be. See him chasing down butterflies and climbing up trees all the time.

He's always been like this though

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Kathryn it is possible this cat has Siamese or Oriental shorthair somewhere in the background. If a Siamese cat breeds with a non Siamese cat some kittens maybe Siamese & some maybe other colours. Could just be a genetic fluke from not having a diverse gene pool/feral inbreeding :shrug:

Katheryn,Siamese cats look inwards not upwards like this kitty,I think there is something wrong with his eyes and should be looked at.
He probably cannot even see very well:sad:

Not neccessarily Chico, these 2 are both from Siamese Rescue and have upward looking crossed eyes, have no vision problems. There was another cat where it was much more pronounced but I can't find his pic so he musta been adopted:goodvibes:.

kathryn
July 18th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Inbreeding is possible. The thing with him is I don't actually know his history. I know all about all my other cats outside and who's related to who... but all I know about him is that he's over a year old (since I have a picture of him from last summer and he looks atleast 6 months in the picture)... and my neighbor said that one of my favourite cats that ended up going to the shelter to be adopted out was his sister. She was a black cat with a white poof on her chest. Sort of like my russian blue.

There's really no chance of Siamese being in the mix though.. just plain old DSH's live outside.

His pupils are not round like the cats in the pictures you posted Growler. his are like cat eyes where they are vertical. Hard to see in the pictures though.