Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

antibiotics for dogs

cartier
July 17th, 2008, 05:09 AM
My black lab has a large pea size soar on the webbing between his toes. Nothing is embedded in it, it is not draining, it does not smell. My vet cannot tell me what it is however she did not hesitate to prescribe expensive antibiotics. Are these antibiotics really necessary?? If there is no sign of infection and I soak my dogs' foot in epson salts and warm water will this be enough to avoid an infection?? The antibiotique I bought was cephalexin at $2.00 per tablet. There are 70 tablets in the bottle. Quite an expensive trip to the vet for a little zit on his foot I would say!! Anybody have any advise??

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 10:17 AM
70 tablets??? How long does your vet want your pup to take anti-biotics for?

As a rule of thumb here, I most often refuse to medicate our dogs unless we have a definite diagnosis.

If your dog needs meds, ask your vet to write out a prescription that can be filled at any regular pharmacy. This should be included in the cost of the consultation...Cephalexin is a human antibiotic and can be purchased at a pharmacy at a fraction of the cost.

ali_jo
July 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Wow 70 tablets?? That is a bit extreme. Usually it is taken only twice a day for about 7-10 days. hmm..
If it isn't pussing or bleeding then I would give the Epson salt soak a go for a few days and see if it helps. If it opens up and is still fairly clean use a good salve on it and wrap it up. Our malmute had a spear grass removed from his paw 2 years ago and a friend of ours gave us some salve by Watkins and it worked wonders for the healing!
I think vets like doctors are always more inclined to give antibiotics right away just to be safe. But in all reality giving ourselves and our animals these antibiotics just makes them ( and us) more immune to the medicine when we actually need it.
I agree, next time ask for a prescription and take it to your pharmacy, much cheaper!
Good luck

rainbow
July 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Did your vet say if it was an interdigital cyst? They are quite common in labs and the antiobiotic treatment is for a longer period than normal. You may want to consider having it surgically removed.

From http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/caninemedinfo.html#ic

Interdigital Cysts

Interdigital cysts are a common problem in short haired breeds of dogs. Males do seem to be worse and Labs probably worst of all. There are a number of differential diagnoses to consider such as demodex, fungi, pyoderma secondary to atopy, dermoid cysts, etc. Dermoid cysts are invaginations of the skin which forms a pocket of hair and misc. junk. They are often infected and they always recurr unless surgically removed.

Especially if the cysts are recurrent, a good option is to have the cyst surgically removed and send it to a dermatopathologist, not a regular pathologist. It is expensive but it will greatly reduce the number of return trips to the vet. With that diagnosis, it will be easier to deal with future recurrences.

Other treatment includes long-term antibiotic treatment... three to six months may be required. Make sure the antibiotic choice and dosing is appropriate. Culture & antibiotic sensitivity tests are recommended.

Also demodectic mange may be underlying the problem. Skin scrapes can make the diagnosis, but false negatives are possible. Foot dips in mitoban (diluted) followed by warm soaks in dilute chlorihexidine may clear it up.

Fitting the dog with a rubber boot to protect the foot may help speed recovery following the removal of the cyst.

I also remember reading somewhere that diet is a factor that can cause dogs to get recurrent episodes. What are you feeding him? Do you also supplement with Essential Fatty Acids?

Also sometimes it is a thyroid issue so you may want your vet to check for that. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes: