Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what's wrong with people ?

kiara
July 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM
As a rescuer I just got a call from a lady who has been feeding a stray cat outside, for several years along with other neighbors. The cat is loved by many of them and now seems to have a broken leg. What can we do for this cat she asks me? Vets make room for this kind of emergency, because the cat is in pain and needs immediate care. She called the local vet that I recommended and they quoted $1200 to $1500, for all the vet bills. X-rays and surgery. Euthanasia is always the last resort, but sometimes the only humane option! I am able to get it in for euthanasia but the lady doesn't want the cat to be put down. Who will pay for the euthanasia, she asks me? Now the neighbors are all debating maybe they could all chip in and save the cat? which is still in pain. And then what, release it outside again? WHY NO ONE TOOK IT IN WHEN IT WAS LIVING OUTSIDE IN THE COLD? WHY BIG HEARTS NOW, HUMANS MAKE ME SICK. opinions please

14+kitties
July 16th, 2008, 06:52 PM
It's always easier to look after a healthy animal than it is a sick one. Has anyone done anything for the poor thing yet? If not, let me know the cost of euthansia and maybe I can get some money together.
:grouphug: for you and thank you for what you do.

kiara
July 16th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Apparently the cat hopped away and her mother is still debating with the neighbors. SICK!!!!

14+kitties
July 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM
You mean they haven't even taken the poor thing in to see if the leg is really broken? :loser:s!

kiara
July 16th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I called the lady again and her daughter answered the phone. Apparently, she does not want it to get euthanised and but does not mind watching it suffer !!!! I called the city security for that town and they are supposed to go there and look at the cat. But unfortunately this town does not pick up cats only dogs. Sick!!!

14+kitties
July 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Is there any rescues in the town that will step in? It seems so senseless to let the kitty suffer. Dang! I hate people some times! :frustrated:

Jim Hall
July 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM
the lady and her daughter :loser: what else can you say ?

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Unbelievable. If tehy had cared for the cat like they say they did, they might have made an attempt to bring it in from the outdoors. If they don't want it to be put down they should get off their butts and help the poor thing.

rainbow
July 17th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Is the poor cat still suffering? :sad:

kiara
July 19th, 2008, 11:42 AM
I have given up, never dealt with people like this before. Most cases have been simple and people listened to my ideas, as I am the rescuer and hopefully together with them can make decisions depending on the situation. My husband says to let it go, don't like confrontations, I have many more cats to rescue. Too bad the poor cat has been caught in the middle.

TacoGrl
July 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
kiara...can you not go pick the cat up and take it to your vet...they would surrender any rights to it of course...not that they have any rights now, but you know what I mean...don't take it back to them if there is something that can be done to save it's life?

kiara
July 21st, 2008, 04:02 PM
Since I called them several times about the cat, they could have told me what they decided to do in the end. Drove there today, could not leave the situation "unfinished". Did not speak to the B*****, but the next door neighbor, who was very friendly and apologetic. Apparently they both took the cat to SPCA and had it examined by a vet and the leg was not broken after all. Strained muscles, they told her that the cat will be fine and has been put up for adoption.

ancientgirl
July 21st, 2008, 05:17 PM
Thank goodness! At least the cat is safe and will be away from those morons. :fingerscr it finds a great new home.

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
I am glad to hear the cat is safe now :thumbs up