Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

VET Bills....how much do you pay for the first visit?

Orange
July 16th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone! Hope someone gives me an idea.

Today I visited a vet for the first time in Canada :ca: (My cat & I are immigrants).
And I have a question about the VET bill....
How much do you pay for the first visit to vet (excluding medicine)?
Me & my cat used to go to vet which chaged us a little (but it's not in Canada).
And I was shocked to see the bill charged $45 for 10-minite checking up (didn't do any tests & excluding medicine cost)
I just wanted to continue the medicine I give him for his allegie reactions, so I explained situation, then Doctor gave me the same medication as I'm using, that's it.
Medicine costed only $30, but "checking up" costed so much, so total were about $85 after tax.
I don't know the standard in Canada, so if anyone could give me some "Standard" Bill amount, it might make sense more to me.
Right now, I don't think I can afford going there often (like every 2 weeks), if they charge me like that.
Is there anyone help me from your experience? :pray:

Ford Girl
July 16th, 2008, 03:46 PM
My vet charges $60 for a visit, this is on the expensive side of rates in Calgary, some clinics in north end of the city charge way less. My vet waves this fee since we are in so often. :rolleyes::frustrated:

Where in Canada are you? There are clinics that cater to those who are finacially straped. :thumbs up

wdawson
July 16th, 2008, 03:51 PM
why do you need to go every 2 weeks?....if its just a refill on the meds you should be able to ask over the phone and just pick them up.

without pulling past vet bills , i think my old vet was $65.....my new vet is $55 i think.

bendyfoot
July 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Just to clear up the med presciption renewal thing...if you're a new client, the vet must examine the pet before renewing any meds (and 45 $ is a pretty standard/low-average rate for an exam in my area). Most vets will then let you renew the 'script for the next year without an exam, unless it's a condition that needs routine monitoring. A yearly exam would be a minimum.

Purpledomino
July 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I was thinking that the examination fee was very reasonable in your case. I don't know offhand, but I believe I pay around $50 or so for the exam, give or take, so your vet seems right in that ballpark. If your pet does need medication on an ongoing basis, usually that just means a phone call and pick-up/pay. It is in the pets best interest to examine him or her initially before administrating meds. To not do so would be unethical and unsafe. :pawprint:

14+kitties
July 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
My vet charges $53.00. But not often cause I am in so much with my gang. I usually don't pay for anything but meds. He is an exceptional vet!! :cloud9:

TacoGrl
July 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I use a vet who specializes in CATS and is on the expensive side (I think) $65 for the 10 min visit/20 min wait :rolleyes: and I must say I never seem to get out of there without at least owing a couple of hundred... :frustrated: ...but then my cat is 16 and has just started needing a vet for things other than regular check-ups...

I think your vet is charging a fair fee...HTH...

Rottielover
July 17th, 2008, 05:44 AM
My vet in Montreal charges 61$ plus tax for a consult, but I trust her with my pets lives, and she is the type of vet that will go out of her way for you. Well worth the money

Love4himies
July 17th, 2008, 06:03 AM
My vet charges 50+tax for a 10 minute visit.

Lise
July 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM
My vet charges me twenty per visit,but she's being merciful since they vacc all my dogs/cats and their large animal vet does my horses.It costs me at least seven hundred a year in routine vet care and with then there's always more, Nell was almost six hundred with pancreatitis and Arabesque had to have stitches in his shoulder after an argument with another horse,Tess gets her thyroid checked every six months.I could go on,but twenty dollar consults are the least they can do!!

wolfcat
July 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Sadly, the $50 average just to say hello is standard. Kinda understandable, as there are liability issues in them dispensing advice or medicine.

Some vets do however waive that portion of the fee for subsequent visits, but only if you have more than 2-3 pets.

As to the exam - vets are way more trained than your average pet owner to look for signs of ill health. Usually, they don't do all the blood test/urine-feces samples/etc that doctors do for humans (which costs extra too), but they know what to look for.

I feel okay knowing that many vets care for recues, help out animal groups, etc with greatly reduced or even free services.

(My big beef is with the private 24 hour emergency hospitals that wont lift a finger unless you pay all the money up front - Sorry your cat/dog may die, but cash up front please) :evil:

Orange
July 17th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Hi!
Thank you all for sharing your experiences, now I understand the system. This forum is really great! :thumbs up
I will talk to my vet if picking up the medicines without bringing him :cat: in is ok, except the time he is in the unusual condition.

SnowDancer
July 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I think I am paying about $70 for the consult in Toronto. WolfCat - I know what you mean about the 24 hour emergency clinics and the upfront fees. If you ever have to rush to Guelph for midnight surgery, don't forget your waller - 50% upfront in cash or equivalent before the admitting doctor will even let your pet near the on-call neurosurgeon.

BusterKitty
July 21st, 2008, 08:56 PM
Really? My friend's cat went in to check out his fur. He had fleas so he received flea medication($45), flea comb($1), and nail clipping($15). It all added up to only $60 something and she was in there for 20 minutes. Strange...