Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

An idea for giving pills

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Yesterday I decided to give pill pockets a try. I've been giving Czarina her medication now by crushing her pill and putting it in her food. I've suspected for a few days she may not be getting the medication in her system properly, plus she sometimes doesn't eat all of her food, thus I throw away most of the food and medication.

I looked for the Greenies pill pockets, which they always have. Of course the day I need to buy them, they're out. I asked the sales person and I got the usual answer "everything we have is out" :rolleyes:

I went to the treat section, thinking I could get something soft enough to wrap around the pill. I found these: Pounce Hairball Treat-ment (http://www.petco.com/product/5830/Pounce-Hairball-Treat-Ment.aspx) I got them and when I got home I gave Czarina a couple to see if she liked them and to get her used to the taste. She loved them. And the great thing is, they are like little pillows. This morning I took one and since some of them are slightly open at the ends, I just squeezed it lightly, stuck the pill in as far as I could and gave it to her. She ate it with no problem and even looked up at me for more. They were $4 as opposed to the $10 the Greenies were. I'd prefer to give her something a little more nutritious as a snack, but these do have the added hairball gel so it's not all bad.

Chris21711
July 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
AG - I think I read somewhere a while back on the forum that 'Greenies' are not so good.

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Ack! I didn't see that! Do you remember where you saw it?

Chris21711
July 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48402&highlight=greenies

Here it is AG.

Love4himies
July 16th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Here is a link to greenies:

http://www.greenies.com/en_ca/Products/FelinePillPockets.aspx

However, if they allow you to pill a cat without stress, maybe a few here and there is not too bad.:shrug:

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the link guys.

They didn't have the pill pockets anyway, and I know the pounce probably isn't great either for her, but I don't think giving it to her once a day will do any harm.

Now I've got to try and get those Wellness treats. I was buying them some Organix treats and the ingredients looked pretty good.

No more greenies in the house. Vlad's not going to like that.:laughing:

krdahmer
July 16th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Ok... I'm a bit behind here... is it the green dye that isn't good for the cats? I don't get the greenies, no one here liked them, but I do give them those Temptations Dental treats which are green. (I have tried treats with better ingredients but they turn their noses up at them.)

And I would say if those pounce things work... thats the main thing to get Czarina to take her meds. I'm sure a couple every day won't hurt her.

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
They love greenies, but now that I read about the green dye, I'm worried enough to stop giving it to them.

I also give them the Temptations for hairball and they have these new ones that are a little bigger. I had been buying them these jerky treats that were all natural but they stopped liking them:sad: I'll just get them the organix stuff next time I go to the store and see if Petco has the Wellness treats.

BTW, did you get the package? I'm wondering if the smell of catnip made customs think I was sending contraband!

phoozles
July 16th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Ancient, to give Ethel her pill I just used some soft treats (pounce, I think) and surrounded the pill with them - worked like a charm, and I agree, if it's just for the pill, it shouldn't be too bad to give them.. :shrug:

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm going to keep using what I have, which is the Pounce. She likes them and the added benefit of it having a little hairball treatment is better. I'm going to go and get another bottle of the stuff this weekend, and see if Oksana likes it. She's always suffering from trying to get a hairball out. It's hard to give her Laxatone because she hates it and when I put it on her paws she still tries to shake it off. If she likes the little treat then I'll give her some.

But I did like that this is a nice little pocket and you can easily get the pill inside and the taste is masked by the taste of the hairball remedy.:D