Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi, I'm Emma.

luckypenny
July 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Let me introduce myself. My name is Emma and I'm an almost 4 month old Pitbull puppy-girl. Not much is known of my short history other than I was hurt by a big dog and the person who used to own me didn't take me to the vet until I was really sick with an infection. Instead of taking care of me, she took me to a shelter to put me down. There I met a woman with the biggest heart, the softest eyes, and the gentlest touch; her name is BMDLuver and she's my guardian angel :angel: . After I started to heal, she took me to her home and cared for me where she discovered that I have some degree of hearing impairment. Because of my old injuries, my right eye is a little smaller than my left so my perception of depth is a little off. I did catch on using the stairs awfully quickly though and I can now run up and down them with no problems.

So now, here I find myself in this foster home with three other dogs, Lucky, Penny, and Ava. They're quite the rough and tumbly bunch with each other but not with me. Ava even cried anxiously with her tail wagging furiously until we were allowed to meet. I can tell that Lucky is the leader, but he's fair and gentle and I love to get his attention by licking his face and ears. Penny is definitely the one I can play with endlessly. She lets me steal all her toys and never gets mad. I think I surprise her though as she's never got to play tug with another dog who can keep up with her :D .

I'm looking forward to learning from my big foster brother and sisters and to what my new foster mom calls hand signals. She promised me that I'll be able to 'hear' and understand everything I need to by watching her. I'm eager to learn and show my new forever family, whoever they may be, that I'm just like any other loving puppy.

Here are some photos that were taken today. My foster mom says that I'm such a wiggly butt, it's hard to photograph me but promises to post more after we've had more time to get to know each other.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/Emmasfirstdaywithus020.jpg

Penny letting me steal her favorite toy...
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/Emmasfirstdaywithus021.jpg

...and her favorite stick :D .
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/Emmasfirstdaywithus022.jpg

luckypenny
July 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I swear this hole was already here!
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/Emmasfirstdaywithus013.jpg

And after a day of fun and plenty of exercise, I'm ready to call it a night. I can't wait to see what new adventures tomorrow brings :goodvibes: .
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/Emmasfirstdaywithus025.jpg

yettiyodamarlo
July 15th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Aww :) How cute!!

Imagine some people. Waiting 'til their animal companions get even more sick. Irrensponsible.

Luckily she has you to take care of her :)

Frenchy
July 15th, 2008, 10:17 PM
ohhhh she's adorable LP ! She looks like a piglet :cloud9: (that's how they call baby pigs right ? :o) do you still think she can't hear ? I'm glad her new bro and sisters are taking good care of her :thumbs up I knew they would :D

14+kitties
July 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
What a sweetie!! Hopefully she won't be without a loving family for long. She looks like she's already been with your gang forever. :cloud9:
Thank you :dog: :angel: for all you do!!!

szelynn
July 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
OMG she's so beautiful and adorable - I want to squish her!! :cloud9: :lovestruck:

luckypenny
July 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
ohhhh she's adorable LP ! She looks like a piglet :cloud9: (that's how they call baby pigs right ? :o) do you still think she can't hear ? I'm glad her new bro and sisters are taking good care of her :thumbs up I knew they would :D

:laughing: yes, that's what they call baby pigs :cloud9: .

It's only been a day so I still have to test all the different tones she can and can not hear. She doesn't seem to respond to voice at all at this point but her ears do perk up sometimes when she hears a squeaky toy. She didn't budge when I turned on the blender, only lifted her head after ten seconds or so and kind of looked around. If I knock on the counter or floor, she comes flopping towards me immediately :D . I'm going to have to learn alongside her as to what is the best method to teach/communicate.

She is the cuddliest puppy ever though. It's impossible to sit down without her coming to love you up and settle quietly next to you :lovestruck: .

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
She is precious, LP! :flirt: What a doll! :lovestruck:

Sounds like your crew thinks so, too! :dog: Her fortunes have definitely taken a turn in the right direction!

Has she totally healed from her infection now? :fingerscr

Frenchy
July 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM
but her ears do perk up sometimes when she hears a squeaky toy.

omg I will send you one of my coworkers , squeeky annoying voice .... Emma will understand her :laughing:

JanM
July 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
She is so cute! What a relief she is finally able to realize that some humans are pretty ok!

luckypenny
July 15th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Has she totally healed from her infection now? :fingerscr

Other than her eye being just a wee bit weepy when she's out in the sun, there's absolutely no sign of infection. Thank dog the injuries she sustained were punctures rather than tears.

Even though she had a terrible experience, it hasn't affected her attitude with other dogs :thumbs up . She absolutely loves their attention.

luckypenny
July 15th, 2008, 10:36 PM
omg I will send you one of my coworkers , squeeky annoying voice .... Emma will understand her :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: Is that the one that answers the phone?

Frenchy
July 15th, 2008, 10:39 PM
:laughing: :laughing: Is that the one that answers the phone?

That one got fired , if she's looking for a new job , I can send her , even better than the one I was going to send you :laughing:

luckypenny
July 15th, 2008, 10:43 PM
:eek: Oh please, NO!! I had to hold the phone at arm's length when she answered :laughing: .

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM
:eek: Oh please, NO!! I had to hold the phone at arm's length when she answered :laughing: .

:laughing: Sounds like a gem! Can't imagine why she got fired :o

I'm glad Emma has so few consequences of her bad start in life. :grouphug: And now, of course, she must be on :cloud9:

Chaser
July 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
OMG, Emma is the cutest puppy!!! :cloud9: Your furkids sound like they're so fantastic with her! What a little sweetheart....I just want to squish her :lovestruck: And the digging picture is SO cute!

Rottielover
July 16th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Oh I am in love, she is such a doll:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

happycats
July 16th, 2008, 07:17 AM
OMG LP she is just the sweetest little thing!! Thank dog she was saved!
And yes she looks like a cute little piglet:lovestruck:

Love4himies
July 16th, 2008, 07:45 AM
What a cutie :cloud9:. Wow what a turn this sweeties life has taken, from a negectful home to lp's home.

chico2
July 16th, 2008, 08:06 AM
L-P,she is just the cutest little girl,she looks like a"Babe"a little angel-piglet:cloud9:
:grouphug:to BMDlover for stepping in to rescue her and ultimately handing her to you for some all important TLC.:thumbs up

Winston
July 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I agree with Chico she looks like a Babe! LP you are an angel! Thank DAWG for people like you! She would never have a chance here! She will be learning from the Best Family that could possibly teach her!

More pics pls!

Cindy

jessi76
July 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
omg! what a beauty she is!!!!!! I'm smitten! she is SO lucky to have you LP! (honestly, if she were w/ me, that'd be it, she'd have to stay forever! :lovestruck:)

the poor baby - that was a sad start, but her future looks VERY BRIGHT and HAPPY now that she's got you!

Chris21711
July 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM
She's a little beauty LP. She is so lucky to have Lucky, Penny and Ava as her teachers. Oh! and you of course :)

Frenchy
July 16th, 2008, 12:51 PM
ok so those pictures are what....24 hours old ? We need new ones .... well , puppies grow fast !!! :shrug:

ancientgirl
July 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Oh she's the most adorable little girl! She's just beautiful! How sad that with a little care the problems she has could have been prevented:frustrated:

I know you'll take good care of her and she'll learn how to be a great companion soon.

wdawson
July 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
she really is a cutie and yes we need more pics.....

well i gotta go do a map quest :D....oh put her outside so i can google earth your house....not that i'm plotting anything :rolleyes:

:laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
July 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
LP Emma is adorable :lovestruck: :cloud9: :lovestruck: perhaps she's can be the puppy dh was asking about when he asked if any were staying? ;)

:thankyou: BMDLuver & LP for giving this adorable little girl another chance :thumbs up

Frenchy's right we need more pics :D We've seen her alone, and with Penny...now we need pics of Emma & Lucky and Emma & Ava and more Emma alone :D

I wonder if the lack of hearing might be due to her colouring, it's not just white dogs with blue eyes that are prone to being deaf.

Ford Girl
July 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Awww, so cute, what a doll!!! :lovestruck: Your other threee are :angel: too. So are you and BMDL. :angel: :angel:

More pics please!!! :D

allymack
July 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
:flirt: what a cutie!! Way to go BMDluver and LP and thanks for saving her!!

Its goign to take a lot of patience, but by the look of her it will go rather quickly! I want another puppy!! i wold just love to cuddle her:cloud9:

glasslass
July 16th, 2008, 07:29 PM
She's such a sweetie! Hard to imagine anyone not wanting to just love and spoil her!

rainbow
July 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Emma is totally adorable. :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Huge hugs to BMDLuver for rescuing her :grouphug: and she couldn't have found a better foster home than with you :angel: and your family and fuzzbutts. :thumbs up

Toonces
July 17th, 2008, 04:06 AM
What a cutie and I love her name, glad to hear she is learing the ropes from your gang, love the digging pic so cute:cloud9:

aslan
July 17th, 2008, 04:25 AM
:flirt::flirt::flirt:i thoroughly believe her that, that hole was already there, she is far to adorable to have done that.

pitgrrl
July 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
:eek: When did you get her? And when are you bringing her to my 'hood so Basil can do his happy puppy dance (aka leaping in the air like a maniacal psycho puppy fever crazy man) for her?

Oh, and you're a mad woman LP, 3 dogs plus a puppy?:crazy:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I'd love nothing more than to take her into town. She absolutely loves people and any lovings she can give/get. She can't seem to read other dogs as easily as regular puppies do (but she's learning) so we have to be cautious as to which ones she can meet. Are your guys super patient with pups?

It's funny Pitgrrl that you mention, "so Basil can do his happy puppy dance (aka leaping in the air like a maniacal psycho puppy fever crazy man)" because that's exactly what she does when she sees Penny :laughing: .

Aslan, she really didn't dig that hole :D. Lucky, Penny, and Ava took turns digging it for Rufus (either as a cool spot for him to lay in or, maybe to bury him, who knows :shrug: :laughing:). There was a moment when he was here and he just disappeared before our eyes. One second he was there, the next, he wasn't. We searched the yard and house thoroughly in a panic when after a second check of the yard, I noticed this little nose sticking out of the hole. He fell asleep in it and didn't hear us calling him. It's at least a foot deep :eek: .

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 11:54 AM
:eek: When did you get her?

I met her Saturday evening when we went to meet Rufus' new family at BMDLuver's home. She arrived here Tuesday morning :lovestruck: .

Dog Dancer
July 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Emma has certainly landed in her pot of gold. Bless you all for saving her. I haven't been around much, and when I was here BMD was so sad after losing Sam I Am, so it's good to see that her ever loving heart is still firing on all cylinders and she's still out there saving lost souls. Bless her for taking Emma and delivering her into your care LP. And I agree, we definitely need more pics. She's just lovely (as are your puppers also of course). You are one of the earths most patient and loving angels LP.

Ford Girl
July 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
:flirt::flirt:i thoroughly believe her that, that hole was already there, she is far to adorable to have done that.

adorable digs holes....trust me. :rolleyes: But I agree, so cute, she couldn't have. :shrug:

Aslan, she really didn't dig that hole :D. Lucky, Penny, and Ava took turns digging it for Rufus (either as a cool spot for him to lay in or, maybe to bury him, who knows :shrug: :laughing:). There was a moment when he was here and he just disappeared before our eyes. One second he was there, the next, he wasn't. We searched the yard and house thoroughly in a panic when after a second check of the yard, I noticed this little nose sticking out of the hole. He fell asleep in it and didn't hear us calling him. It's at least a foot deep :eek: .

They took turns. :angel:

:laughing: :laughing: So cute!! I wish I could spend an afternoon with you guys. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Aslan, she really didn't dig that hole :D. Lucky, Penny, and Ava took turns digging it for Rufus (either as a cool spot for him to lay in or, maybe to bury him, who knows :shrug: :laughing:). .

Teamwork! :D At least you know they'll work well together in a crisis (like a mole that needs excavating! :laughing:) I'm sure they'll have Emma trained up quickly, too. :dog:

krdahmer
July 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
She's gorgeous... and I just love the hole digging face... so sweet!! :lovestruck:

Frenchy
July 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I met the little bugger earlier :lovestruck: so sweet and cuddling ,so funny , I saw her zoom !!! ... almost fit in my purse but like always , LP watches me like a hawk until I'm in my car driving away :laughing:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Emma would like to thank you all for the compliments :) . Sorry, I didn't have a chance to take as many pics as I would have liked to today but I'll share the couple I did take.

Emma asking Lucky if it's alright if she joins him on the bed.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/EmmaLucky002.jpg

"See Mom? Just cuz she asked politely, I let her."
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/EmmaLucky003.jpg

Frenchy
July 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
awwwww :cloud9:

ancientgirl
July 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
OMG that last picture is to die for! Both their faces are so cute!:cloud9:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
The caption on the second pic is perfect! :laughing: I can just hear Lucky saying that! And that look that Emma is throwing your way: See, Mom! I got him wrapped around my little paw! :flirt:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I wonder if the lack of hearing might be due to her colouring, it's not just white dogs with blue eyes that are prone to being deaf.

After some of the of research I've managed thus far, I discovered that dogs can actually be part albino. Those that are, are often affected with hearing impairments. However, Gwen's (BHRR) Mudslide is also hearing impaired and she's a Blue/Merle/Brindle (?). So I guess that deafness isn't only particular to all white dogs :shrug: .

She's coming along great. We've been working on sits and comes and I think that when she sees me doing jumping jacks and slapping my thighs, she's finally figured out that she gets yummy treats if she come to me :laughing: (oh, what'll my neighbor's think now :D ?) Penny is by far her best playmate, and I'm sure that she's been Penny's best playmate ever too. SHe's still having a little trouble reading Lucky so when he's trying to let her know what's not acceptable, she goes into a play bow and barks at him thinking he wants to play :rolleyes: . Good thing Lucky can be a patient fella.

Oh, oh, she's also going to make her new family extremely pleased if they're not morning people. Neither is she :laughing: . She sleeps 10 hours straight!

allymack
July 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Aw, such a sweetie, asking if she can join Lucky if she can join:cloud9: and Lucky, of course being so nice, lets her:angel:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Oh, oh, she's also going to make her new family extremely pleased if they're not morning people. Neither is she :laughing: . She sleeps 10 hours straight!

:cloud9:

Think she'd be able to teach that trick to the Pack? :fingerscr

allymack
July 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM
when shes done at Hazels, send her over here so Enzo can learn that too, i try to keep him somewhat awake at night while i am still up, that way he will sleep later then me and then a bit in the morining while i get everytihng set for the day :o but then hes up and full of tons of energy.

otter
July 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
"See Mom? Just cuz she asked politely, I let her."
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/EmmaLucky003.jpg

OMG that last picture is just great. I love those expressions!:thumbs up
Who ever so ever could hurt a sweet pup like Emma:shrug:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 09:52 PM
:cloud9:

Think she'd be able to teach that trick to the Pack? :fingerscr

:eek: Are you looking to adopt??? :D

I forgot to mention, we've been looking for puppy classes for her but haven't been successful. I'll be calling Penny's behaviorist (she's in Ottawa) tomorrow to see if she would be willing to do a home visit. Perhaps she can give me more ideas, other than what I've found on the net and be able to show us 'hands on'. Also, Pitgrrl :angel: has offered to help us make a special collar for her that will hold a vibrating mechanism, using a remote control, that we're going to try to put together this weekend. This way, if her visual attention is elsewhere, she'll 'hear' us calling her :D .

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Who ever so ever could hurt a sweet pup like Emma:shrug:

The story that was told by the old owner was she took her to a dog park when she was 7 or 8 weeks old where she was attacked by another dog :rolleyes: :wall: . IDIOT!!!

allymack
July 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
That collar sounds like a great idea!

Are you not having sucess finding puppy classes because she cant hear? or are they all full or...?

meg4050
July 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
LP, she's adoooorable :cloud9::cloud9:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Are you not having sucess finding puppy classes because she cant hear? or are they all full or...?

Because they're full, or classes only start back up mid-August or September after the summer holidays, or that they don't have the resources to work with a hearing impaired dog...all sorts of reasons...I'm guilty of wondering if some that I spoke with were just looking for excuses :o .

allymack
July 17th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Do you tihnk you culd work on her training on your own? or do you think you need help? I can ask my trainer if he has any advice on working with hearing impaired dogs if you would like.

allymack
July 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
ok, so i got really curious as to see what training a hearing impaired dog compaired to a dog that has good hearing would be like. Its fairly similar....and they dog mention a vibrating collar, like you did.. i ahve a link if you want to check that out. I just thought it offered good info and it did use positive reinforcement. http://www.wagntrain.com/deaf_dog.htm

Chaser
July 17th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Ohhh....Emma and Lucky are SO cute together! Priceless expressions! :cloud9:

Great call on the vibrating collar! What a great idea! :thumbs up

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks Allymack. It's not so much the 'training,' I'm starting to become a pro at that :rolleyes:, but helping her to read other dogs' signals. And also to help me with my dogs when she can't read them. I'm not always so sure how to help in such a situation other than having to remove her from it. My dogs would not hurt her but I can't say the same for other dogs. I just need to learn how to teach her what they mean so she doesn't have to encounter another negative experience involving dogs.

I'm really tired. Am I making sense :o ?

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2008, 10:35 PM
:eek: Are you looking to adopt??? :D

http://foolstown.com/sm/obm.gif :eek:

Thanks Allymack. It's not so much the 'training,' I'm starting to become a pro at that :rolleyes:, but helping her to read other dogs' signals. And also to help me with my dogs when she can't read them. I'm not always so sure how to help in such a situation other than having to remove her from it. My dogs would not hurt her but I can't say the same for other dogs. I just need to learn how to teach her what they mean so she doesn't have to encounter another negative experience involving dogs.

Is it that she has trouble reading the other dogs, or is it just that in her naive puppy way, she pushes too far?

That vibrating collar sounds ideal! :thumbs up If you want to try something akin to clicker training with her, a small flashlight can be used the same as a clicker, too.

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I think it may be a problem reading them. I don't know (this is where the behaviorist will certainly come in handy). Perhaps she was taken away from her mother and pack mates a bit early? I'm confident she'll catch on eventually though. Aidan was taken away from his litter too young and he was an excellent student here so I'm sure that Emma will catch on soon enough. I'm just a worrywart I guess :o .

Frenchy
July 17th, 2008, 10:42 PM
That vibrating collar sounds ideal!

omg she's going to wrap a vibrator on Emma's collar ? :headslap:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
omg she's going to wrap a vibrator on Emma's collar ? :headslap:

Actually, we're going to use the motor of a remote control car, but hey :lightbulb:, that might work too. I'm serious :D .

Frenchy
July 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Actually, we're going to use the motor of a remote control car, but hey :lightbulb:, that might work too. I'm serious :D .

It would work but you would become very popular on your walks in the neighborhood :D

14+kitties
July 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
OMG!! I open this thread to read up on how Emma is doing and I get to read about attaching vibrators to her neck! What is this world coming to? :eek:

I love the pic of her and Lucky. Lucky always looks so happy. :cloud9:

Frenchy
July 17th, 2008, 10:59 PM
and I get to read about attaching vibrators to her neck! What is this world coming to? :eek:

I know ! LP has weird ideas sometimes , but her heart is in the right place. :laughing:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM
It would work but you would become very popular on your walks in the neighborhood :D

Silly girl, we'd have to remove the motor from it :D. Now that you have me thinking about it...it might actually be easier than with a toy car. Do they sell remote control vibrators??? I really wouldn't know about these things :shrug: :laughing: . I can just see myself going into one of those shops and asking for a vibrator...for my dog :eek: .

:laugh:

Oh my goodness, I must be getting really tired now :o .

allymack
July 17th, 2008, 11:06 PM

ahh ok, and yes that made sense, i think if you let her meet with other dogs that you are 100% positive will react friendly and grett properly, she should pick up on proper body language quite quickly!

Silly girl, we'd have to remove the motor from it :D. Now that you have me thinking about it...it might actually be easier than with a toy car. Do they sell remote control vibrators??? I really wouldn't know about these things :shrug: :laughing: . I can just see myself going into one of those shops and asking for a vibrator...for my dog :eek: .

Gee wouldnt that be a conversation starter with that worker...So, Ahem, i am looking for a vibrator.....for my dog..the worker would be so weirded out:laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Maybe you should just get a pager for her collar and put her on speed dial on your phone. :o

I know that some electronic training collars have a vibration function along with the shock function (which you wouldn't use, of course) but they tend to be heavy and expensive things....

Chaser
July 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM
It really doesn't take long for the most well-intentioned threads on here to turn dirty. :D :laughing:

luckypenny
July 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Maybe you should just get a pager for her collar and put her on speed dial on your phone. :o

I know that some electronic training collars have a vibration function along with the shock function (which you wouldn't use, of course) but they tend to be heavy and expensive things....

There's another great idea I didn't think about Hazelrunpack. I did look into the commercially available collars but the thought of accidentally shocking her scares the wits out of me :o . Some prices I saw were 150-500$ and I did notice that most were heavy. There's a great website, deafdogs.org , that lists the different makes and models available. That's where I got the idea of a homemade collar as well.

It really doesn't take long for the most well-intentioned threads on here to turn dirty. :D :laughing:

Notice how Frenchy always posts in these threads :rolleyes:? I wonder if there's a correlation? :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2008, 12:36 AM
We've seen her alone, and with Penny...now we need pics of Emma & Lucky and Emma & Ava and more Emma alone :D

Okay so we got the Lucky & Emma pics so cute, love the 2nd one :flirt:, now we need Ava & Emma ;) :D

After some of the of research I've managed thus far, I discovered that dogs can actually be part albino. Those that are, are often affected with hearing impairments. However, Gwen's (BHRR) Mudslide is also hearing impaired and she's a Blue/Merle/Brindle (?). So I guess that deafness isn't only particular to all white dogs :shrug: .

Oh I know it can afflict any dog any colour most people think only white with blue eyes, I just wanted to point out the possibility with Emma that it might be genetic & not as a result of the attack. :shrug: I wonder if she either didn't hear the dog approach or din't hear the warning growls/sounds of the dog that attacked :shrug:

Some deaf dogs are only deaf in one ear but can hear with the other, of course which side of the dog you are on will impact how well they hear. You mention she can hear some tones, when you are testing her reactions to sound try to see if she can hear better in one ear over the other, that should help with training - trying to make sure you are on the side she can hear from etc....

ancientgirl
July 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Because they're full, or classes only start back up mid-August or September after the summer holidays, or that they don't have the resources to work with a hearing impaired dog...all sorts of reasons...I'm guilty of wondering if some that I spoke with were just looking for excuses :o .

It's excuses like that and people like that, who don't even want to try that put dogs like Emma in a situation where they are euthanized. People think they can't be trained and what not, because they don't want to be bothered to try. Then you wind up with a dog that's grown and unsocialized. :frustrated:

Thanks to you she's at least going to have a chance.

Frenchy
July 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Do they sell remote control vibrators???

Yes they do :laughing: and really , I ONLY KNOW THIS BECAUSE : I watch Sex In The City and Kim Catrall had one in a episode and put it beside a baby that wouldn't stop crying and ... it did with the vibrator by his side :laughing:

rainbow
July 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Notice how Frenchy always posts in these threads :rolleyes:? I wonder if there's a correlation? :laughing:

Yep....Frenchy is :evil:

:D

:thumbs up

The pics of Emma and Lucky are so sweet. :cloud9:

The vibrating collar is a great idea and :grouphug: to Pitgrrl for offering her help to make one. :angel:

Frenchy
July 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM

Yep....Frenchy is :evil:

ahem , exsqueeze me but I post in almost ALL the threads :D

luckypenny
July 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Okay so we got the Lucky & Emma pics so cute, love the 2nd one :flirt:, now we need Ava & Emma ;) :D

Haven't had a chance to get one of Ava and Emma together yet, but I think I did better :D . How about all of them?

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/19-07-2008004.jpg

Penny-girl looks a little upset because I wouldn't let her roll on the pillows :rolleyes: .

Here's another of Ava and Lucky with Emma looking on. I just love that crazed look in Lucky's eyes :laughing: .

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/19-07-2008011.jpg

Frenchy
July 19th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I just love that crazed look in Lucky's eyes :laughing: .

You go Lucky boy ! I like how Emma is looking at them , like she wants in :laughing: :lovestruck:

luckypenny
July 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
And, of course, more of Emma and Penny :o . :shrug: The two of them are inseparable :cloud9: .

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/19-07-2008021.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/19-07-2008018.jpg

Here's an example of what Penny and Emma do for hours at a time. Penny :angel: will always play with puppies using her toys or getting them to chase her but, Emma is the very first who's allowed wrestle and jump all over her.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/th_19-07-2008023.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb195/luckypenny_02_2007/?action=view&current=19-07-2008023.flv)

Frenchy
July 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Penny is such a good girl , she's Emma favorite toy :laughing:

luckypenny
July 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
:D I think it's the other way around. You should see Emma light up when she sees Penny. She does this little dance and rooroos and then bounces all over her :cloud9: .

14+kitties
July 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Wow!! Quite the wrestling match! I got to watch half of it before my silly wireless fizzled. Who won? :rolleyes:
I love all of them on the bed together. :cloud9: They look so proud of themselves. Emma is so lucky to have Penny to play with all day. I bet they all sleep like logs at night!!

allymack
July 19th, 2008, 10:19 PM
i love the picture of all of them on the bed:cloud9: and emma really does look liek she wants in on playing with ava and lucky

Chaser
July 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Oh they're all so cute! But I have to say I especially love Penny :lovestruck: What a sweetheart for being so tolerant and playful!

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2008, 12:09 AM
awwww 4 pups on the bed :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck: that made my day :cloud9:

The Ava, Lucky & Emma pic you can just hear Emma thinking "okay, that's how to get the upper paw w/Lucky - put your foot on his head" :lightbulb: :laughing:

Penny is such a sweetie w/Emma - so gentle :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2008, 01:46 AM
They all look so darn good together on the bed, LP! :cloud9: And playing... :eek: I love how Penny lets Emma roll her in the yard! :laughing: Penny is such a good Auntie. :lovestruck:

chico2
July 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
L-P,that video is great,what a little fireball Emma is:lovestruck:and Penny seems to enjoy every minute..adorable:lovestruck:

BMDLuver
July 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
The folks who do system fencing out in Rigaud may have a vibrating collar so I'll call them and see what I can do for one. I know their rep and he's a dog trainer and rescue friendly so give me a day or two to sort it out.

LP rocks when it comes to fostering and Emma's a very lucky little girl to have someone care for her so deeply. As usual, she'll get the best of care and socialisation from LP. Emma broke my heart when I first saw her and she deserves to have a happy life now.

Chris21711
July 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
She is beautiful BMDLuver, Kudos to you for rescueing her and Kudos to LP for giving her a great home to blossom in :thumbs up

BHRR
September 2nd, 2008, 01:24 AM
LP,

"Albino's" do not exist in the GD world. Per JP Yousha(much better explained that a long Gwennie Novel) :p; "Albino Series – is not recorded in the Great Dane. It is found in such breeds as the Doberman, where it causes some problems, and in the German Shepherd, where is it disqualified under the standard, and in some other breeds, where – in a modified form – it is allowed. In many breeds there are "cream" dogs who have genes in this series without health problems."

As for Mudslide, she is a blue brindle(visual) and carries the merle gene(hidden) which can cause hearing impairments and/or deafness or sight impairments and/or blindness. However; it is believed that her limited hearing loss is from neurological impairment and not as any 'double' merle gene result though. She was premature and I know that she had quite the fight to survive. I have known many Merle coloured GD's that have also had hearing impairment and not only have seen this in predominantly white or light marked Harle GD's. I have also met quite a few white/blue eye GD's that have had no hearing/visual problems at all.

"Merle is a pattern of coloring observed in the coat of the domestic dog and is characterized by patches of diluted pigment. This trait is inherited in an autosomal, incompletely dominant fashion. Dogs heterozygous or homozygous for the merle locus exhibit a wide range of auditory and ophthalmologic abnormalities, which are similar to those observed for the human auditory–pigmentation disorder Waardenburg syndrome."

Research "will be useful in many way, not only so-called "cryptic" merles (dogs who are merles but don't look it), but for telling if our "merles" are heterozygous or homozygous, and finding out the same answer......"

"Merling is the only known dog gene for color associated with defects in the dog."

http://www.gdca.org/health/merlegene.htm

"2) Recessive Spotting White – is found in many, many breeds. In some, like the Dalmatian, deafness can be part of the loss of pigment, as can blue eyes. In dogs who have more pigment these recessive genes don't cause any trouble. Our Mantle pattern results from such recessive genes. Piebald Danes can have blue eyes and could in theory be deaf, although most have dark caps of color on their heads and have brown eyes, so are not in danger of deafness as a rule.

3) Dominant Spotting White – or merle genes – are not commonly found in many dogs or dog breeds, as merle to merle breedings produce dogs with defects, so the color (and these breedings) are generally avoided. Harlequin (and merle, white, merlikin) Great Danes carry merle genes. Dogs with merle genes who are predominately white, who have blue eyes, who lack color on the head, especially around the ears and eyes, can and do suffer both hearing and sight defects. But blue eyes are NOT directly correlated to deafness. Rather lack of pigment can give a dog a blue eye and a chance of ear and eye defects. So the two traits, deafness and blue eyes DO travel together, but not all blue eyed Danes are deaf."

"Note that merle is unique in that it is considered both a pigment AND pattern locus-as a gene it affects both at once. And it's worth repeating that pigment is not merely decorative; pigment has structural and protective functions, and pigment cells have other duties beyond color. The predominance of white is a gross lack of pigment. Dysfunction of pigment and pigment cells can have far reaching effects: not all colors and patterns are therefore born equal."

"In the homozygote ("double") merle, white in the coat typically predominates and sensory defects are normally found, but the dog is NOT usually all white and not necessarily obviously deaf or blind."

"Merle is a complex phenomenon and still incompletely understood. The subject of "cryptic" merles (dogs that produce merle but don't appear to be merles) is still being investigated, as is the "flip side" of that coin..."

"That said most mismarks in the Great Dane are the result of two carriers producing a recessive color trait. The more dominant the color and pattern a dog has, the more recessives that can hide there; black pigment can hide any number of dilutes and solid coats can hide any number of patterns. mismarks result from careless breeding, although careless breedings produce a lot of dogs who do not fit the standard, in color as in other traits.

"For most mismarks found in our litters, be it piebald or blue brindle, maskless fawns or some disqualifying dilute, the take-home message is "it takes two to tango:" i.e. both parents are carriers. Carriers can remain unseen for 3 generations or 30. So a blue fawn pup from two standard fawn parents or a fawn pup from a Harlequin breeding can happen without mixed color pedigrees or bad breeders being the issue. It's simply a matter of recessives carried along--sight unseen. "

Therefore, one can also see reputable/quality GD Breeders also having mismarks appear!

BHRR
September 2nd, 2008, 01:32 AM
LP,

From someone that has worked with SN's animals for over 20 years from Rescuing them to my extensive behavoural work to physically plus mentally rehabilitating them to training them plus new owners of those SN's that we do adopt out; there are very few places that I could/would honestly recommend that would be qualified as proper resources/support system/training places for SN's. It is an unfortunate reality......:sad:

In my program, I train via a mixture of ASL and made-up hand signals, I use light training in the turning off and on of lights ie outside in the fenced in yard to 'come in' etc.(not lasers as some dogs/breeds can be predisposed towards OCD), I use vibration training via the banging of door jambs and floors(yet not vibration collars...that is just a personal and professional preference), plus touch and scent training.

I shall always been the proud owner of at least one SN's GD for as long as I can! :lovestruck:

Ford Girl
September 2nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
I haven't been up to speed in this thread, just saw the new pics and video, OMG, what a cutie!!! Pennys such a good girl too, amazing. Lucky boy too, so much to leanr from your guys.

Any news or updates?

Brandykins
September 3rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
Aw she is a lovely wee lass - love the one where she is out for the count!! Lovely to see pups playing and sleeping so soundly afterwards:)

Great pics.

luckypenny
January 5th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Adopted!!!

:D

Frenchy
January 5th, 2009, 09:21 PM
wooohooo ! Congratulations Emma , LP and FG ! Great work ! :highfive:

http://bestsmileys.com/ballons/3.gif

hazelrunpack
January 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM
What great news! :highfive: Fortunate Emma :cloud9:

angeldogs
January 5th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I'm glad she was adopted.first time seeing this thread.

Oh my she looked like a little darling.:cloud9::lovestruck:

Congrats Emma and everyone helping her.:thumbs up

Ford Girl
January 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Awww, amazing little pup found an amazing home!! :cloud9: She deserves it!! :lovestruck:

LP - you are an :angel:! Another pup saved cuz of your big heart and determination! Thank you for opening up your home and working so hard to find this pup the perfect forever family! :dog:

growler~GateKeeper
January 5th, 2009, 11:40 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif Congrats Emma & her new furever family! http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/1.gif

WTG LP :highfive: FG

allymack
January 5th, 2009, 11:49 PM
WOOHOO! congrats Emma!! what a lucky girl to have such loving people to helping her out!:dog:

chico2
January 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM
LP,thank you:grouphug:
She must have grown quiet a bit since the last pic and having been in your house probably learned to be a lady:thumbs up

Love4himies
January 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Wahoo :thumbs up :highfive:. So glad she is going to her forever home. I hope they have a "Penny" at their home to. :fingerscr

Chris21711
January 6th, 2009, 10:40 AM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gifSo good to hear, I hope LMP can manage to get pics for us as Emma grows :lovestruck:

BenMax
January 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Good girl Emma. Bless you little one and have a happy healthy life.:dog:

Luvmypitgirls
January 7th, 2009, 03:45 AM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/greenstars.gifSo good to hear, I hope LMP can manage to get pics for us as Emma grows :lovestruck:

I will certainly do my best!
She is so precious:cloud9::lovestruck: