Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

springer spaniels: any advice on the breed?

Soter
July 15th, 2008, 08:54 AM
if anyone has any tips on springer spaniels. I know they are exceptinally active, (most are) but is there anything about them i should know other than that.

i know they need loadza walks
i know they need regular brushing
i know they are a medium sized dog and therefore need 'medium sized 'dog food made for medium sized dogs.

love them, and am thinking of getting a puppy of the springer breed

soter
shake a paw for those not so fortunate:pawprint:

hazelrunpack
July 15th, 2008, 11:52 PM
You'll need to research your breeder thoroughly. Badly bred springers can be prone to what is often referred to as "Springer Rage", where they fly dangerously off the handle at unpredictable times.

But if you find a good breeder and work with your pup (training, socialization, bonding), Springers can be wonderful companions. We had one a few years back. Hard-headed, but a feisty, friendly girl. Very loyal to her Daddy in particular. :D

They are, as you say, moderately high maintenance--very active and requiring daily brushing. I wouldn't recommend one if you don't have a fenced-in yard or a place to run her--the hunting breeds really do require a lot of exercise to keep them happy.

mafiaprincess
July 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM
You'll need to research your breeder thoroughly. Badly bred springers can be prone to what is often referred to as "Springer Rage", where they fly dangerously off the handle at unpredictable times.

I touched on that in the OP's last thread but seem to have been ignored.

Also asked if you had litters of already whelped cockers or springers in mind. I wouldn't purchase either from someone less than reputable.

LL1
July 18th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Best way to go is contacting Springer rescue.

Longblades
July 18th, 2008, 08:26 PM
They come in two flavours, field and bench. Sometimes referred to as English and American. The split between the two is so pronounced they look like different breeds but fall under the same standard. Both are high energy dogs but the field types may be even more so. You should be looking for the usual health clearances, if you go to a breeder, and I would check out some of their other health concerns as well such as Fucosidosis and PFK. This (http://www.geocities.com/essccanada/) may help as well.