Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Whats the Deal with Hamilton

wolfcat
July 14th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hamilton, Ontario animal services seems to have a real problem with feline overpopulation. They also seem more ready to euthanize than services, humane or rescue groups in Toronto.

In fact, over the past few months Toronto Humane and various cat rescues (like Toronto Cat Rescue) are saving cats and kittens that would otherwise be killed.

I am fostering kittens that I got at 4 weeks old who would not be here if not for long distance rescues.

Anyone know why this is happening or if it is a regular thing? :shrug:

Toronto estimates there are 323,000 felines in our city and all shelters are full.

LL1
July 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
It's awful but I think you would find the same with other animal controls.

BusterKitty
July 16th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Yes, it seems pretty strange that Toronto shelters often go to Hamilton to get the cats that are up for euthanizing. Maybe their shelters are just smaller?:confused:

Chaser
July 16th, 2008, 03:31 PM
According to the Hamilton-Burlington SPCA's Annual Report:

- Less than 2% euthanasia rate (Toronto Humane Society 9%)
- 97% live release rate one of the highest in Canada!
- We never euthanize an animal unless for extreme medical or behavioural reasons.

See the full report at:

http://www.hamiltonspca.com/themes/spca1/pdfs/spca_report_06.pdf

When you hear something through word-of-mouth, it's a good idea to do some research before adding to rumours.

badger
July 16th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Our not-lamented ex-chairman (see Mao) of the Montreal SPCA claimed a less than 10% euthanasia rate in a radio interview last year; turns out that was waaaay off. Just to say that getting the correct information is sometimes a problem.

Chaser
July 16th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Our not-lamented ex-chairman (see Mao) of the Montreal SPCA claimed a less than 10% euthanasia rate in a radio interview last year; turns out that was waaaay off. Just to say that getting the correct information is sometimes a problem.

That's very true - any information should be looked at critically. and no matter how low the stats, 0% should be the goal. I just didn't like that the discussion had no informational basis at all. And I can be a bit sensitive to Hamtilon-bashing of any kind :o

Winston
July 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Something else people should now about how Hamilton is setup.

First off if you are looking for Animal Control its at the back of the building. They euthanize ALOT..basically if cats get turned in their they dont really have a chance. THe SPCA is at the front of the building. It takes up 3/4 of the entire building. They are a no kill shelter. They have been this way for the past 5 years that I know of! I confirmed that with one of the people employed there! cause I had heard different.

They are currently trying to have the Animal Control services moved from that location so that there is less confusion as well.

CIndy

Chaser
July 16th, 2008, 08:17 PM
That clears up a lot of confusion Winston....I had thought they were no kill as well and was confused as to how rumours would have started or how rescues in T.O. were getting cats scheduled to be put down in Hamilton.

wolfcat
July 17th, 2008, 07:36 AM
:thumbs up Thanks for all the info on Hamilton.

I had tried googling info to research it but hard to find it. I appreciate the insider look at what's going on. (And it was NOT intended as Hamilton bashing - just worried about why so many animals are being exported to Toronto, where we have serious overpopulation problems - cat/dog. that is lol)

I am just so concerned about finding solutions (other than euthanasia :eek:).

We have a SpayCentral Toronto starting up in a year, to be located in Newmarket, that will off low cost spay/neuter services. This should really help.

Another thing that would help would be for the multitude of rescues, humanes and animal services to be banded together to share resources and trade animals to adopt where there is a need. Essential would be for governments to really step up to the plate and fund animal welfare as a serious endeavour, not just a charity.

We can only hope....:fingerscr:fingerscr

Winston
July 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Wolfcat I was really hoping that we would see the clinic in TO or Hamilton sooner than later! I remember giving money at Woofstock in 2007 as a donation to get one started. It was to be done with help from petsmart! Have not seen anything yet?

Cindy

wolfcat
July 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Check SpayCentral Toronto website - they should be running sometime in 2009.

I think because it's all charity it took a long time to raise the cash.
(seems everything worthwhile is a charity these days)

They are fundraising for a new thing - $30,000 for a "Neuter Scooter" that will pickup and deliver.

Frenchy
July 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Another thing that would help would be for the multitude of rescues, humanes and animal services to be banded together

I would LOVE that ! But ... I don't think I will live to see this. :shrug: too much competition / politics :frustrated:

Chaser
July 17th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Low-cost spay/neuter clinics are an excellent idea....sounds really hard to get them going though :sad:

I was just asking around about spays in the Hamilton area - one vet actually quoted $616 for JUST a spay and microchip! That's robbery! No wonder a lot of people aren't doing it (well, I'm sure there are other reasons too....like ignorance...but prices like this certainly don't help at all.)

Winston
July 17th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Chase'smom! Simcoe is the cheapest around here! Queensway Animal Hospital! and you have to drive about an hour!

Cindy

Chaser
July 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I also found out about Beattie Animal Hospital in Brantford...VERY reasonable. But it still isn't fair at all for low-income city-dwellers that likely don't have cars. If someone can't get out to the country, I can't imagaine how they afford to have a pet in the city. It's very frustrating and unfair....so it would be great to see a Spay/Neuter clinic come to Hamilton too!

Sylvie
July 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
On the subject of clinics. There is a program in the States, not sure what city, where they have a travelling clinic. The low income families, bring there dogs to the bus,(not sure if cats were involved) they get the operation and then go right back to their home for recovery. Not sure what the statistics look like, but they can only be better for all the strays in the area.

If only I could win the big one I would set this up in Hamilton. :D What a beautiful dream.

P.S. I know there would still be :loser:s that would not get their dogs or cats fixed. I live in the country and see too many strays and feral cats. :sad:

LL1
July 18th, 2008, 01:34 AM
:-
Another thing that would help would be for the multitude of rescues, humanes and animal services to be banded together to share resources and trade animals to adopt where there is a need.

Actually this is done in Ontario in many cases

14+kitties
July 18th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Something else people should now about how Hamilton is setup.

First off if you are looking for Animal Control its at the back of the building. They euthanize ALOT..basically if cats get turned in their they dont really have a chance. THe SPCA is at the front of the building. It takes up 3/4 of the entire building. They are a no kill shelter. They have been this way for the past 5 years that I know of! I confirmed that with one of the people employed there! cause I had heard different.

They are currently trying to have the Animal Control services moved from that location so that there is less confusion as well.

CIndy

Winston - Is this the Hamilton/Burlington No-kill shelter at the front of the building or is it an entirely different building? I am not familiar with Hamilton. Can you tell? But I always hear the commercials on the radio and they specifically say they are not affiliated with Hamilton's Animal Control. Am I thinking the right one?

Winston
July 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
yes you are! Animal Control is around the back of the building...

chico2
July 18th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I had a really good experience with Hamilton SPCA,I called about a poor bunny,owned by my sons neighbor,who was so obviously very sick,the only food he had was a rotten apple.
I was angry at my son,for doing nothing about this,the bunnies cage,was against his fence,hidden way back in the neighbors backyard:yell:
Hamilton SPCA was there the same day to pick up this poor animal,probably to be euthanized,but it's better than a slow death of starvation and neglect.

Puppy4me
July 19th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I am sort of new here but want to add my
:2cents: if that's ok.

The entrance is to animal control is small and the smell sadly tells it all.

As for vets in Hamilton, I have to agree with Chase Mom. If you don't drive, your out of luck. Lots of seniors would so love to have a pet but can't afford the city vet prices. So they loose out on the love an animal brings when it comes into the home.

One thing I did want to tell everyone, was about our local pet vet. My friend had decided to move back to Hamilton from Ottawa. This took alot of planning because she is blind and her husband was very ill. She thought coming back here would be better for the two of them. In the process of moving, her husband suddenly passed away. However she completed the move and was back in Hamilton by November. You would think that she could pick up and try and put her life back together but then, things got worse.

We live in the same building and at 5am on a December morning, she called me in a panic. her guide dog was having trouble breathing. I was there in a heart beat and got transport organized for her dog to go to the emergancy vet. In the space of a few hours, her guide dog went from the emergancy vet to pet vet and then, on to Guelph. His lungs were filling with fluid. I had to work the gift wrap at Eastgate and couldn't go with her. There was no one who could open for me and my heart was breaking for her.

They drained fluid from the lungs but surgery was needed and results from that came back that her working partner and best friend had cancer. He passed away in April but she didn't see him again once she left him at Guelph that december morning. Her husband and guide dog were gone from her life in 2 months of each other.

The reason I wanted to relate this story is because pet vet did not charge her a cent for their services that day.

My friend has a new guide dog and is settling in to her new home now. He is a big boy and our cat Chase looks at him like he is dirt and pretends he just isn't there. :laughing:

Winston
July 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM
What is pet vet? I dont think I have heard of it? Thank you for sharing this tragic circumstances!

Cindy

chico2
July 20th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Yes,I was going to ask that too,somehow Pet-Vet rings a bell:shrug:

Puppy4me
July 20th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Pet Vet is on Queenston Road (Highway 8) just before Fortinos at Fiesta Mall.

Here is the link

http://valuewebdesigners.com/pet_vet_eastside.htm

wolfcat
July 21st, 2008, 09:22 PM
Latest news story: http://www.flamboroughreview.com/news/article/191992

After three years of a restructured animal control system, Hamilton continues to euthanize 59 per cent of the cats it picks up, a recent operational review revealed. :sad:

"It's better than in 2003," said Todd MacDonald, of the consulting firm Performance Concepts, which was hired to conduct a four-month review. "(Hamilton) should not be in the business of euthanasia."

Statistics for that "abysmal" year (2003) revealed the city euthanized 78 per cent of the cats picked up, saving only 14 per cent, MacDonald reported. :rip:

Currently, animal control officers retrieve stray cats; if the animal is not claimed within five days, it's euthanized, usually without prior notice to the owner or complainant.

City officials agreed that simple phone calls can often reunite felines with their owners, but they were cautious about creating a cat licensing program. Instead, they are looking into a cat registration program. Ward 5 councillor Chad Collins said the city might even need to regulate the sale of kittens.

"The advertisements (in the newspaper) for free kittens' don't help us," he said. <<<

HAMILTON is to re decide its animal control policies by August 5

>>>Time for Hamilton and area animal lovers to get involved << :lightbulb:

Winston
July 21st, 2008, 10:05 PM
This is a huge problem and one I spoke about previously regarding the difference between the SPCA and Animal Control. However, what are the solutions? They cant keep every animal ? I think although the article is harsh as far as stats goes but maybe people will wake up! and spay or neuter their pets! I am willing to do anything to help but its certainly is a tough one! Thanks for caring by the way! :thumbs up

chico2
July 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
IMO the problem lies with people and how they view cats,cute little kittens for free,are a temporary diversion for some.
Once the kittens get older,out they go,:yell:maybe to be replaced by another free kitten and so on...

Humane Societies can start by not adopting out un-altered cats,opening up spay/neuter clinics,which would be a good beginning to control the cat-population.

Sylvie
July 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Humane Societies can start by not adopting out un-altered cats,opening up spay/neuter clinics,which would be a good beginning to control the cat-population.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious, I thought they fixed the animals before adoption. That would seem like a good start.

Winston
July 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
What I would like to know is how to get one of these places started? Where does one begin? I would be willing to do whatever it takes to bring some low cost spay and neuter locations here! we need it! people cant own a cherished pet because of the expense to get these major things done! I think most would agree it doesnt usually cost a horrible amount of money in food per month its the initial shots, rabies, spays, neuters etc...thats what adds up!

CIndy

wolfcat
July 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure this is thge exact truth, but I do know that there ws this rich philanthropist animal lover in California (L.A. I think) who used his own money to set up an animal recuperation center, like a mountain spa retreat, for sick, stray, unwanted animals (cats, dogs). He then spent money on a mobile van that went to the poorest sections of town and did free vet services for low income people. I remember the story but forgot the animal saint's name - sorry.

I think this is where the now-being-setup Toronto (Newmarklet) SpayCentral Toronto got their ideas for a "Neuter-Scooter" = a van that picks up cat/dog, takes away and neuters/spays then returns. My understanding is that the T.O. location expects to be able to charge $50 for the procedure, although not confirmed yet.

kashtin's kin
July 23rd, 2008, 02:31 AM
Ouch, so many of my PET peeves discussed above...lack of low-cost s/n + difficulty of access (i.e. car) for many people + shelter issues/confusion + 'cute kitty...dead cat' sydrome + neuter scooter idea (when I was doing some research last year, found a few places in the U.S. that have this great service) ETC.

Soon, '14+' and I will be almost-neighbours, and will be brainstorming (or storming brains?!); hopefully together we'll sort some stuff out...just gotta pull a bank job or two first-pas de sweat, right 14+ ?!

Anyhow, glad to see so many BB stalwarts, and some newer folks discussing some of the above ongoing and frustrating critter stuff; it's heartening to know of the great :angel: critterfolk out there. Every 'bit' counts, and together, we're better/more effective :thumbs up.

chico2
July 23rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
KK,I am sure you and 14+could pull anything off:laughing:keep buying lottery-tickets!!
Wolf-cat,I've seen what you are talking about,it seems to me the US does more for people who don't have the money to pay $300 for a spay,but who love their animals.
I believe with some vets spay/neuter has really hit the roof,but it's the only solution to the cat-overpopulation.
I read,I think it was from TO humane S,cats/kittens were selling for $90,included was spay/neuter and microchipping,I could be wrong about Toronto HS:confused:
Our HS here in Oakville,does not adopt out intact animals,I know that for a fact.