Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Egypt Pics

onster
July 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
We went to Azhar Park (Great views of the city) as well as The citadel today Im too tired to write up history so if anyone is intereseted you can google the citadel in egypt for the history . For now pics....

Ticket..12 lE for four adults, so $2 or so...

Dad and me at the entrance...

view

onster
July 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM
more azhar, mosques outline
cool flower

onster
July 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Now on to the citadel...amazing. all i can say.

onster
July 14th, 2008, 04:37 PM
El Naser Mhamood Ibn Qalawoon Mosque (in citadel)

Friendly attendant, Ramadan told me he would pose like Omar El sherif (if u know who he is :))

very comfy chair

onster
July 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
mosque details
lilbro in mosque with citadel behind him

lion fountain on top of citadel. All these thigns are made of carved alabaster by the way.

onster
July 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Mosque of Mohamed Ali (also in citadel)
washing station for prayer in Mohamed Ali mosque. Details on that = wow.

inside the mosque. so pretty.

onster
July 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM
one of the massive crystal chandeliers inside. WOW.

He is buried inside this structure in the mosque.
Put the camera through the woodwork and took this picture. His tomb.

By the way the reason the whole mosque is made of hand carved alabaster is because when it was made (took 18 years to complete) there was no electricity and if you light a match or torch the alabaster all lights up (reflects well).

onster
July 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Have more pics but gtg now. Hope u enjoyed these. :D

wdawson
July 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
looks like a very interesting place....great pics

glasslass
July 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks for sharing! The alabaster is beautiful!

Stacer
July 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Wow, those are awesome pics. The mosques are absolutely beautiful.

Someday I'll visit Egypt...

I've seen alabaster, I've touched alabaster, but what the heck is alabaster?

Love4himies
July 14th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Wow, Egypt looks beautiful, and those alabaster statues are gorgeous.

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures, onster, I just love looking at them and dreaming one day I will be able to visit.

onster
July 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys :) Im definately not the best photographer and really this is just a sample of the kajillion pics I took...too much of a pain to resize them and upload on my relatively slow connection. Wish I had a better cam to able to get details in the darker places..pics turned out too dark :sad:

stacer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabaster for what alabaster is.

A few more pics...

Sign for Mohamed Ali Mosque-- tells u when it was built..
Sign for Gawhara Palace Museum. The King who lived in the citadel had many many wives over the years but the youngest and most beautiful was apparently Gawhara (which means gem) to which he made this palace.
He was paranoid about being assasinated. This big mirrors are on every floor and alligned in such a way that they reflect off each other and looking from the top floor onto the mirror there u can actually see all the way to the front steps of the palace! ridiculously cool.

onster
July 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
U know how the mona lisa's eyes follow u? Well there was this painting of him (mohamed Ali Pasha) where not only did his eyes follow you, but it seemed like his whole body shifted from the throne in your direction!!! I wish I could have taken a pic but cameras were restricted :sad:

ANyway...here is his throne. No pics were allowed but the guard liked me :D so he let me turn off my flash and take a quick photo. Notice how it is so short and so wide.....the king was fat and short, lol. It was a gift from france I believe. 24 karat gold plated I think?

Mohamed Ali Pasha

onster
July 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM
For the guys...

there was also a military and police museum. I have a few pics of artillery and things but havent resized them yet....german tanks and things like that!

One area used to be a prison and this is my brother and dad peeking into the cells.

U would find scenes like this showing u how things worked back in the day

The MOST notororious women in Egypt. Rayya and Sekina were murderers in Alexandria, Egypt. More than 30 women and young girls were murdered for their jewelry after being lured by these 2 women. A special leutenant was assigned to the case dealing with the dissappearances of all these women and the first break in the case occureed when a plumber reported finding a head and other body pieces when digging for lines. After that it was all down hill for these two and their gang as more and more bodies were uncovered. They were the first women in Egypt who had the death sentance carried out on them. What I dont understand is why any woman trusted these 2!! They just look creepy. yikes.

onster
July 14th, 2008, 06:54 PM
To end this on a light note...

where there are cats, onster will seek them out :D
By this time I was exhausted it was 4pm or so and the sun was beaaating!!!

A cool statue for the horse people...statues like these are found all over egypt (in the middle of main streets/roundabouts) to commemorate important people. This is Ibrahim Pasha.

onster
July 14th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Kodak was at the citadel too :D

Photo anyone? :crazy:

I thought these were cool. If I wasnt afraid my parents would have suffered from heat stroke I would have posed for one...give them to you on the spot. Would have liked to pose as a bedouin girl maybe? That is what the girl in the middle of the middle row is dressed as.

What a great day. Tomorrow were taking a break. Still have to go to the pyramids among other things.

I have a lot more photos and will be posting them on FB when I get back to Canada...if anyone is on FB and wants to see the whole slew pm me with ure details (as I have super duper crazy privacy settings on FB and u wont find me) and Ill add so u can see them when I add them.

Im glad u liked the photos and its my pleasure to share the history of my country with u all. Egypt today has a alotttttt of problems, almost makes me want to cry. ......*sigh*....such a beautiful people, burdened with so many problems. Yes it is has its problems yes I can fixate on the smog, on the corruption..or I can look past that at the amazing history and at the great laugh and wit that strangers like Ramadan, the attendant, shared with me literally making my heart smile. Many egyptians who live abroad say they never want to come back to egypt as "ewww its so dirty" "so backhward"....well I say different. Egypt is in me, it is who I am. I will take what I learn from my beautiful second country, Canada, and hopefully bring it back to Egypt just as I try take the beautiful qualities of the egyptian people ( immense generosity, kindness to strangers, wit) to Canada..........

Sorry Im rantibng its 3am. Really should go to bed. Have a date with my gramma tomorrow morning :)

Love4himies
July 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks again, onster. Female serial killers:eek: I can think of some crimes that should have punishments like what you pictured:evil:

Byrd
July 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM
OMG Talk about bringing back memories!!! :D

I so love Azhar Park. :goodvibes:

If anyone is looking for info on the Mosque of Mohamed Ali and the Citadel look up The Alabaster Mosque, that's the "street name" for it. It is an absolutely amazing place, I would really love to go back to it, spend more time there, maybe next trip.

I also agree with your last comment, yes it's dirty, yes it's a little backward, but you won't meet a friendlier people anywhere in the world!

Frenchy
July 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
WOW onster ! Thank you for those fabulous pictures , I love the Mosque :cloud9: So grandiose and full of details , must be amazing to be there !

Tomorrow were taking a break. Still have to go to the pyramids among other things.

ohhhh I can't wait to see ! Pics pics pics !!!

Byrd
July 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
LOL Frenchy, you're too funny.

Frenchy
July 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM
LOL Frenchy, you're too funny.

I never got to travel , and probably won't (couldn't bare leaving the dogs :o) but if I could , I would love to visit those places , so full of history and beautiful , majestic buildings :cloud9:

So now at least I get to see some awesome pics ! :thumbs up

Jim Hall
July 14th, 2008, 11:44 PM
great shots onster the citadal and mosgue are amazing thanks for the tour is great seeing pics of your dad and you

hows onnie and bunduk doing?

Rick C
July 15th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the visit to Egypt.

I have a client in Cairo and an open invitation to visit him and his wife, which we might do in the next few years . . . . looks interesting.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

rainbow
July 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
WOW.....what history. :thumbs up

I thoroughly enjoyed all the photos and the mosques are so beautiful. :lovestruck: And got a giggle out of Ramadan posing as Omar El Sharif. :D

I am like Frenchy and would never be able to see any of this in person so a great big :thankyou: for sharing your pics with us. :cloud9:

jiorji
July 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
:eek: so pretty!! I love those earthy colours

but 1. you forgot ...ME!!! why did you leave without me???:yell: and 2. No Mozilla pictures??:rolleyes::D

Byrd
July 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Frenchy, I have tonnes of pics, write me anytime if you need a dose.

Rick, DO IT!!!! If you can travel Egypt with a local it's the best way, so much better (and cheaper) than in a tour group.

growler~GateKeeper
July 16th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Awesome pics Onster :thumbs up

Cool about the mirrors in the Gawhara Palace Museum :cool: were you allowed up to the top to see the effect yourself or was that off limits?

It's great when a country can preserve local history/custom and allow the public to take a step back in time to see what it was like :)

krdahmer
July 17th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Awesome pics... and thanks for the story telling... hope you're keeping cool!!! Can't wait to see more!

onster
July 19th, 2008, 04:31 AM
cool re: ure clients Rick C...what do u do? Im assuming proffessional photographer? (cuz ure photos are the best!)

hehehe jiorji unfortunately I couldnt have any stowaways but u (and everyone) are welcome to visit/come to Egypt with me one day..like Byrd says its best with a local ..not that i can truly be considered a local but theres my cousins, our driver etc :D

Jim Onnie and Bunduk are fine, apparently they are settling in well. I miss them but am still enjoying the holiday. :)

Thanks all for your comments.

Sorry I didnt post after, my mom actually sprained her ankle at the citadel so we didnt do any sight seeing after that till she heals. We went to a great egyptian restaurant called abou el sid..sooo yummy and great atmosphere..u can get a feel for it by visiting the website http://www.abouelsid.com/..its pricey by egyptian standards but ok by canadian ones (15-20 dollars per person). I definately reccomend it to anybody visiting Egypt and wants to give egyptian food a go. The Omm Ali (almost like a warm bread pudding with filo pastry, nuts, cream etc) was to DIE for...and i dont even normally like Omm ali. mmmmmmMMmmmm.

Yesterday was the main egyptian day off (friday) so we all went to a big mall here, city stars, and ate at one of my uncles favourite restaurants, on the border (mexican grill)...i believe its an american chain? :shrug: was good though...we took up 3 tables!!

Today in about an hour or so were taking a plane to the city of Sharm El Sheikh where my brothers live and work (mobro and B)...Ill get to meet my bros egyptian kitty Uro for the first time :D. Sharm is not a place for history but for great snorkelling & beaches...Ill try to take pics of the fishies (but I dont have an underwater cam)

onster
July 19th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I had posted a few pics here if anyone missed them...

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54176

Byrd
July 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I loooove Om Ali, I will have to remember that resturant for next time. I love the Koshari place at Tahir Square in Cairo. So yummy.

City Stars is such a cool mall, the first time I went there I was really shocked that Egypt could have such a giant place.

Too bad your mom got hurt, all those loose rocks laying aroundat the Citadel? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I didn't get to Sharm, but went to Dahab, it's really nice on the Red Sea.

growler~GateKeeper
July 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM
:goodvibes: for your mum

YAY kitty Uro pics :D

onster
July 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM
thanks growler :)

I reallly wanna have some fteer (egyptian pancakes) and lo'met el adi (lokmades) andddd hmmm pigeon (mainly for the rice stuffing) - sorry guys im a meat eater lol....i say all this and I just had a 'light' dinner of duck, turkey and an assortment of cheeses with fresh made- like in front of my eyes- balady bread (must remember to sneak bread into canada) :eek: hahaha i really am a carnivore.

oddly enough i always lose tonnes of weight in egypt :shrug:

heheh why am i talking about food again...

ummm yes do u know the name of the koshary place byrd? id like to give it a try.

Oh and my brother's kitty is TOOOOOOO cute!!! hes so weird and yet sooo chillax. he let me clip his nails with no effort and he keeps using his paw to pull my hand over for pets. he misses my sis in law whos on hols in canada now..my bro works too much and doesnt give him enough attention. kitty starts to meow when B goes out of the room and u can hear him meowing as ure walking away from the room block but he calms down once hes out of sight. oddest little cat ever - likes rolling in the bath tub and taking kibble out of his plate and playing hockey with it across the tiles. immediately rolled onto his back for tummy rubs from my mom :cloud9: have pics will post tomorrow as on mobros work pc and the wire is in my room - so hard to type on this thing!!

onster
July 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM
oh and oddly enough im not allergic to uro at all!!!

maybe its the long haired cats?? i almost died when we bought bunduk home. onnie gives me the sniffles but nothing claritin cant handle. maybe im immune to egyptian kitties? :confused:

Byrd
July 20th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Ohhh yes, stuffed pigeon!!! mmmmm I love the Egyptian pizza too, the one with the crust on top, kind of like a phillo coating.

I will see if Mohab knows the name of the koshari place, it's right accross from the museum. I can describe it, but don't know the name, you have to walk down about four stairs to get into it, they have all the fixings right at the front, there are tables downstairs (a few) but you have to go upstairs for the main tables. It's a really cool place, I've had koshari at other places too, but none ever as good as this one! :cloud9:

Byrd
July 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
He says that it's simply called Koshari El-Tahrir.

onster
July 21st, 2008, 03:44 AM
Cool Byrd, ill definately try it out. :thumbs up

Not many pics yet..i still havent taken a pic of the fishies

Uro kitty :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

Nice setting to play basketball eh?

onster
July 21st, 2008, 03:46 AM
from le hotel room

Byrd- my bro really loves Dahab - we'll be visiting inshAllah :)

Its HOTHOTHOT. When we got out of the plane at 6pm (ie when its supposed to be cooler) it was 38 degrees C.

You can almost hear your skin frying :eek: I tend to venture out at night :D

Jim Hall
July 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
omg it looks like miami LOL

glad your having a goos time hows the kits doing in the boarding place?

Frenchy
July 21st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Wow , even I would try to play basketball on that court :cloud9: and then the pool :lovestruck:

rainbow
July 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM
LOL....it does look like Miami :cloud9: ....well from pics I've seen anyway :D since I never get to go anywhere. :rolleyes:

Byrd
July 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
Sharm does look a lot like Dahab. Dahab was so relaxing, especially from a tourist's point of view (I tend to have a rough time in other places with the whole foreigner woman/Egyptian man thing). I hope you get to Dahab, there's a nice seaside restaurant there... again don't know the name, where we had a great dinner, it was right at the beginning of the market. If you go to Star of Dahab restaurant ask for Ashraf and tell him that you know Mohab and Judy, see if he remembers us, he's a friend of Mohab's brother, he makes the best coffee (Americana - kind of latte like). :cloud9: I love Ash and his silly socks.

growler~GateKeeper
July 22nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwwww Uro kitty :lovestruck: :cloud9: so cute :flirt:

awesome views :cloud9:

rainbow
August 3rd, 2008, 01:28 AM
Onster, where are you? .....I hope everything is okay. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Byrd
August 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
She just posted pics on Facebook, so I'm sure she's fine.

rainbow
August 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Yep....she posted in her other threads here after I was asking. :)