Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Really concerned!

ks_wager
July 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I took our cat Ruby to the vet and she had a bladder infection. Our vet gave her a 2 week anti-biotic injection. She perked up almost right away and I was happy to see some of her old spunk. About 4 days later, her strange behaviour returned and she started peeing in strange places again. I took her back to the vet and her bladder infection was still strongly present. She is now on 3 weeks of a pill anti-biotic and he gave her a hormone shot thinking that maybe her sfincter(sp?) muscles were underdeveloped. She is being more social but is still peeing. Has anyone heard of this before? Is our mattress ruined or is there a miracle cleaner out there.

Really concerned and hoping for help

wolfcat
July 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I have found most often bladder infections in cats are related to the food they eat - often too much seafood type catfood. I find simple mixtures that are chicken based are best.

Had 3 cats over the years that developed crystals in their urine that made it hard for the cat to pee - quite painful. Happens mostly in male cats.

If it is crystals vet can give medication to break it up, sometimes has to use catheter.

Dont know if this is the case for you but ask vet about it.

As to infections generally, it is really important to be regular and administer antibiotics for as long as is recommended. Never stop early or infection can be back and it gets worse.

Hope this helps good luck

Frenchy
July 14th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Did the vet prescribe special food too ? Because they need to be put on a special diet ... now I'm not crazy about giving vet food to my pets but in special cases , it does help.

As for your mattress , there is products they sell at pet store to get red of those types of odors.