Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bottle kitten not pooping!!

immamacat
July 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi I am new to this forum and new to being a foster mom :confused:
I recently fostered 4 kittens from shelter and they are doing really well except for Bean (he is really tiny). They told me they are 5 weeks old but he seems younger since he doesn't eat the can food/formula mix i make for the others. He will only drink from bottle so i feed her like every 4-5 hrs. I had her for 45 hrs and she hasn't poop anything!! I have been stimulating her after every feeding but she only pees :sad: is this normal since he only drink formula so less poop? Should i be very concerned now? I have been feeding her formula:water ratio 2:3 (too much?). She drinks 8-15ml per feeding. Thank you for any advice :cat:

Love4himies
July 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Yes, that is much too long without a poop. Is her tummy bloated? Sugarcatmom or growler will be along shortly to help you with supplements, they know so much more than I.

sugarcatmom
July 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Gosh, I don't really know anything about feeding such wee kitties, but I did find a couple good articles on the subject:
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/kittens/handrearing.html
http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/kitten.pdf

Is it possible to call a vet and see what they say?

kathryn
July 14th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Nursing kittens don't poo ;)

They only pee. I think you should use more formula then water though.
Are you using KMR brand? I always use that and I just follow the directions. Usually one bottle will last 3 kittens for one day. No clue how many ounces that would be though.

Also feed a bit more often.

It will start to poop once it's off formula and onto wet and dry food. Afterall, it's only drinking liquid so there's nothing to poop out. And beware when it does start to poop... it's horrible! Smelly and liquidly.

Love4himies
July 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM
At 5 weeks old, the kittens should be on a quality kitten canned food (kitten Wellness, canned is a great one) or properly prepared raw diet and should be pooping. Nursing formula may not be enough to sustain her at this age. Try mixing some formula with canned food and see if she will eat it. If the momma was feral, then the kittens may not recognize cat food as food as she would be bringing them back prey to eat.

A raw diet will eliminate most of the smell, a poor quality, grain filled diet will produce very stinky poops. :yuck:

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Here is another site for info http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm

Formula to water ratio should be 1 part formula:2 parts water. Make sure to mix really really well.

Always feed kittens with them lying on their stomachs.

Helping The Kitten Eliminate:
Normal kitten stools are yellowish brown with a jam-like consistency. After every feeding, gently massage the anus and urinary orifice with a cotton ball or Kleenex moistened with warm water until they urinate and defecate. Be very gentle when you do this and donít worry if no urine or stool is produced after every feeding. By the time the kitten is three weeks old it should be able to go without your help.

The first two weeks:
The kitten should urinate at each feeding following stimulation and bowel movements can be every day to every 2 to 3 days.

immamacat
July 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM
thanks everyone for your advise :) the baby has finally pooped! She's starting to eat some canned food with the others but still eats very little. She's fed every 3-4 hrs but refuses to eat sometimes. I think she was constipated since the poop was not liquidy at all (very hard and dark). These kittens are fosters and shelter gave me the formula in a zip lock bag without any instruction so I have no idea what brand it is. I make the milk:water 1:2 now maybe it was a little too thick before. Again thank you everyone :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
July 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
glad to hear it's going well :thumbs up Why on earth would they not give instructions :confused: :wall:

When kittens first start the canned from nursing they may be abit resistant cuz they are so used to milk & are not sure what that stuff on the plate is :D When she sees the other kittens eating the canned she'll be more apt to try it herself, kittens never want to be left out always into everything :D

kathryn
July 16th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I always start my fosters on a bit of Innova Evo because the texture is easy for them to slurp up and they like the smell. They get blue buffalo spa select canned as well when they are young (which is not grain free) only because it comes in different flavours to interest them.

Glad to hear your kitten is pooping XD Mine always started pooping at about 4 weeks because thats when I start feeding little bits of kibble here and there and their poops were always so nasty for the first couple times:crazy:

Weird they just gave you a baggy like that though. I guess they get the big powder formula cans donated and they just ration it out. I buy my own stuff though... I only trust the KMR brand from PetSmart in the blue can.