Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When to take puppy off of wet food?

King
July 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM
King will be three months on Wednesday. I was wondering when is it time to just give him the dry food?

t.pettet
July 13th, 2008, 09:49 PM
He should have been on some dry food from the get-go. Even tiny 8 week olds can crunch up the dry and it is so beneficial for healthy gums and teeth plus makes for more solid stool.

Chaser
July 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
It's always a good idea to feed some wet food. It gets more water into your dog (they don't always drink enough), adds variety, and good-quailty canned food has a lot of great nutrition to offer. Canned food tends to have more meat then kibble so it's a good way to add protein.

My dog always gets a mix...about 70% kibble and 30% canned at each meal if I had to guess. Wellness makes some great canned food and they have a lot of flavours so you can change it up a bit for your dog.

clm
July 13th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Mine have always had a mix of wet and dry. Was using 50/50 but now have gone to 75% wet to 25% dry.

Cindy

Purpledomino
July 14th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I also agree with the other posters here. Canned dog food (good quality of course!) gets a bad rap and doesn't get the credit it deserves regarding nutrition IMO. All you really need to do is read the can ingredients, and you will notice that there are generally more "good" ingredients in there, more real meat, less carbs and fillers that are needed to bind kibble together. Due to the canning process itself, the product is much less processed than kibble, and what was mentioned before, the moisture content is desirable. If you have a smaller breed of dog, it is easier to feed cost wise, but adding some canned is always a good thing. If you consider what it would be like to eat a dry cereal for the rest of your life....you get the picture.
Another thing....due to the water content in canned dog food, it is not as calorie-dense as kibble, so you feed more usually...helpful for overweight dogs. I believe that the "teeth cleaning" properties of kibble is highly inflated and more effective cleaning is done from recreational bones, especially raw. :thumbs up