Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bernese pup should be eating...?

yettiyodamarlo
July 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of a getting a bernese puppy and I'm completely confused.

I read many articles here so I can give it the best nutrition possible, and I planned on giving raw food but also keeping dry dog food on hand when things get really hectic and to just offer variety.

Is this a bad idea? Is dry dog food just a big no no? Also, if anyone else has a Bernese, what do you feed him/her?

Thanks so much!

LavenderRott
July 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Berners are lovely dogs. About 20 years ago, I helped a friend whelp a litter of 10.

There is nothing wrong with keeping kibble on hand for emergencies. If you plain on feeding mostly (or all) raw then I would suggest you just keep a small bag on hand and replace it every couple of months so it doesn't go bad. You can donate the "older" bag to a local rescue.

There are many, many threads here about good dry dog foods. I am sure you can find something that will work for your new pup.

rainbow
July 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I would suggest a grain free kibble. Orijen is my preference but there are others like ..... http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

yettiyodamarlo
July 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Okay, thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I should def. watch out for expiration dates, thanks for the reminder.
And thanks for the grain free food recommendation.

Greatly appreciated.! :)