Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hot spots on dogs

trese52
July 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
We are having a problem with our 6year old yellow lab mix. This is the first time in all her 6 years that she got these hot spots. The first time was last month and we thought it was from a flea collar, but rushed her to the emergency dog clinic and were told she had a hot spot. After a steroid shot and antibiotics to take home and salve for her sore she was back to her old self in say maybe 3 days. Well here it is a month later and she has more hot spots. Another visit to the vet, she wouldn't let us shave her, and now she is on a prednisone and antibiotic treatment again, but this time she is wetting herself and my rugs and even on the bed had an accident. I understand that she is very thirsty because of the meds and can't not leave water down for her, but does anybody else have or had this problem? The vet also told us this is probably allergies and to give her zyrtec daily. We are kind of at our wits end. Thanks for looking.:dog:

Frenchy
July 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM
can't not leave water down for her,

Why not ? When my Bailey starts his Vanectyl every spring , he drinks a lot too because of these meds , I just let him outside more often. :shrug: In the first few days he may have accidents in the house while I'm at work but it's not his fault , it's no biggie to me. :shrug:

rainbow
July 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Recurrent hot spots are usually because of allergies, especially to either flea bites or the food they are eating, so you need to find out the underlying cause.

Does she have fleas or is the collar a preventative? What are you feeding her?

trese52
July 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Recurrent hot spots are usually because of allergies, especially to either flea bites or the food they are eating, so you need to find out the underlying cause.

Does she have fleas or is the collar a preventative? What are you feeding her?

She does not have fleas, but the vet did say it is allergies, which she never had before. Actually we use advantix and only used the collar till she had a bath which ended in the trip to the er with her. I do feed her lamb and rice, but she has always gotten table scraps.

rainbow
July 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Food allergies can start at any time in a dog's life. I would cut out all the table scraps and try a kibble with a different protein source to start with. California Natural (www.naturapet.com) formulas have simple ingredients that are recommended for dogs with allergies.

I would try the Chicken Meal & Rice (http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=62) formula or the Herring & Sweet Potato (http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/default.asp?id=1326) formula.

Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

BusterBoo
July 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Buster had a hot spot (his first) a month or so ago and I too rushed him to the ER (always on a weekend!). They werent' sure what caused it...allergies, or a bug bite but he didn't react the way your pup did. He was just very stressed, pacing, panting and circling. After a few days on Topagen (sp?) he came around. I am keeping that antibiotic spray close by!

Good luck with your pup!!! :fingerscr