Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Say What?!?

TacoGrl
July 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Found this on another site...

"I have a 2 yr old German Shepherd/Husky mix dog. He is a real sweety, and loves to cuddle. He has never been around little kids, but would make the perfect addition to a family with Children. His owner abandoned him...I cannot keep him due to allergies. "

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Oy, the dreaded allergy excuse. Um...I think before that person tries to give that dog to a family with kids they should actually test him out around kids, especially little kids.

yettiyodamarlo
July 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Sucks this person has allergies... perhaps just another excuse...?

Very good point made about testing the dog around children first. Dogs are like people. They know what they've lived. If this dog has never spent time with children, how should it know how to react?

Surely this woman/man is a little braindead? If they have realized this dog is not a child lover, surely saying it's a family dog is a little off?

:confused:

lm9012
July 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I am very allergic to cats. But when I met my future kitty I fell in love with her instantly. I researched as much as I could, washed my hands vigorously after touching her, washed her with anti-dander wash, bought a huge supply of Claritin, cleaned the house like a maniac...you name it..determined to make it work.

Luckily, she had other potential adopters that wanted her and I knew that if my allergies wouldn't get under control..she would find a good home, even if not my own.

What do you know..barely two weeks later my allergies mysterioulsy disappeared. :shrug: :confused::D

I heard that you can 'adjust' to your pets dander and was just thrilled when that's exactly what happened to me! Which was the best news because she is super lovable and just wants to kiss you and rub her face on your face constantly. She is now part of my little family and brings joy everyday! There are ways around allergies..these *&^% people don't even try!!

I would never give my cat or dog up. Never. I'd die before I let anything bad happen to them. That is the promise I made when I adopted them. They need me to care for them, and in return they love me unconditionally. That's the way it should be. If you don't want that commitment, don't get a furbaby!!

yettiyodamarlo
July 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I am very allergic to cats. But when I met my future kitty I fell in love with her instantly. I researched as much as I could, washed my hands vigorously after touching her, washed her with anti-dander wash, bought a huge supply of Claritin, cleaned the house like a maniac...you name it..determined to make it work.

Luckily, she had other potential adopters that wanted her and I knew that if my allergies wouldn't get under control..she would find a good home, even if not my own.

What do you know..barely two weeks later my allergies mysterioulsy disappeared. :shrug: :confused::D

I heard that you can 'adjust' to your pets dander and was just thrilled when that's exactly what happened to me! Which was the best news because she is super lovable and just wants to kiss you and rub her face on your face constantly. She is now part of my little family and brings joy everyday! There are ways around allergies..these *&^% people don't even try!!

I would never give my cat or dog up. Never. I'd die before I let anything bad happen to them. That is the promise I made when I adopted them. They need me to care for them, and in return they love me unconditionally. That's the way it should be. If you don't want that commitment, don't get a furbaby!!

I do agree with you that people should try and fight around their allergies. I am very allergic to cats, but I own two and volunteer at the shelter, still. I'm guessing I'm allergic to shedding or dander because my clean cats at home rub against my face adn everything and dont even bother me any more. But the shelter cats make me sick for days. I don't really learn though, lol, I still volunteer many hours at a time.

However, some people have severe allergies, and can not own a pet. THAT said, every potential pet owner should be tested for allergies so that they know. You can't get a pet, decide you can't live with the sniffles and then discard. It's irresponsible and cruel. Many factors are involved in the preparation of bringing another living creature into your house and first of is making sure you can have one.

ancientgirl
July 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I have severe allergies. For years I lived with not even being able to be in the same room as a dog or cat. My face swells, my throat starts to close, I can't breathe and my eyes start to itch so bad I want to tear them out.

I have 5 cats. I got my first one after not having a cat from the age of 16 to 40. I started taking allergy medication for general allergies I developed, and figured if I am taking medication I can have a pet. It was several months of trial and error, finding the right medication, not to mention getting accustomed to each new cat, as I kept adding to my furry family every few months.:laughing:

I now have asthma, but I use advair in the mornings. I also now only need to use Nasonex in the evenings. I have days when I have sneezing fits, but for the most part, I'd say 95% of the time, I'm absolutely fine. My gang all sleep with me and yeah, there's hair on my furniture, clothes etc...

Many times people just see the allergy excuse as an easy way out. They get tired of their pet or didn't realize it was going to be that much trouble or that much expense. So they think people will "understand" when they say allergy.

Trouble is, whenever anyone has given me that excuse I tell them to their face about my allergies. They pretty much shut up after that and try to get away from me. Happened to me once at the vet's office. Sorry, you'll get no sympathy from me.