Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions on bringing home a puppy

Soter
July 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I might be getting a puppy soon, and I have a question. Would appreciate a little bit of help
It was reccomended that i sleep on the sofa or near my new puppy for the first night. If I [I]should[I] do this, how long for?

The thing is, like kids, if i do it one with my new puppy, i assume it will expect it for the next night. For that reason i am confused about the advice. I cant just sleep on the floor beside its bed for the rest of my life. If i should do this for the first few nights, how will i 'wean' it off me sleeping beside it.
thanks

soter

diandpat
July 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Congratulations on the new puppy...if you get it. More info on that story would be nice...and pictures too, I suppose ;);)

Never had a puppy but the way I understand it, if you are crate training (which is a good idea), many people put the crate in the bedroom so if puppy wakes up he will know you are close by.

Many more people will be by to give you much better advise but I know many people who have had puppies and no one is sleeping on the floor :laughing:

Good luck!

kigndano
July 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM
i did crate training and my pup was in another room.

he had no problems with it but i know a lot of dogs do.

the advice about crate training and keeping the crate nearby at night is great stuff and would probably be the approach i would take if my pup had been whining and howling when i first got him.

i would certainly search this board for crate training threads, as well as googling it. it really works wonders for house breaking.

good luck with the doggy should you get it.

angeldogs
July 10th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I agree i would crate train the pup.if you sleep with the pup and don't wake up it could get into things unsupervised.crating will help keep the pup safe.

jessi76
July 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
what breed of pup are you planning on getting? from where? how old? these questions will really help us give you the best advice.

Soter
July 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Crate training sound like a good idea. I am hoping to get a springer or cocker spaniel at 8 weeks (hopefully, but a bit older wont hurt) Your advice is welcomed.
I am a young teenager and am really excited at the prospect of a new puppy. I have wanted one for ages now. You wouldn't believe the amount of books i have on training and caring for dogs.
soter

luckypenny
July 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM
All puppies that come in to our home have crates both in our bedroom and the living or dining room. Hubby says we should just move into a kennel :rolleyes: .

They sleep in our room at night but take naps in their crates in the other rooms during the day. Much easier to hear them, especially when they are very young and need to go out in the middle of the night. Before attempting to crate them, we make sure they get plenty of fresh air (playtime and pee/poop time). Then we'll encourage them into the crates with a few treats in a Kong where they settle quickly and soon are off to dreamland.

Soter
July 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM
We have a crate, but should i wean the dog off it once it is older or should i keep it there for life. Also, my sister doesn't want it in the kitchen, it is too unhygenic. do any of you agree. it is reccomended that i brush a dog once a week, but i think once every other day is good, for keeping the dog clean and for bonding with your dog.

by the way, is it 'really' nesacery for a dog to be crate trained, or can you potty train your dog any other way?
soter

Masha
July 11th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I found crate traaining to be very valulable. You cant ALWAYS watch your puppy, and if it has the run of the house it will get into some trouble and will go on your carpet, floor, anwhere really... but with a crate, it encourages them to hold it until they are taken to the right area. Dogs are clean animals and dont like to 'go' where they sleep therefore as long as you ensure that the crate is the correct size (cant be too large cuz he will sleep on one end and poop on the other) they will hold it in till you take them out. Make sure you dont leave the dog in the crate for too long because puppies just cant hold it in for long period of time. Expect to be getting up at night to take your puppy out for the first while.

Good luck,

luckypenny
July 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Personally, we love the crate. It has so many different uses that we use them all the time for both puppies and the adults. For the pups, it's for housetraining and teaching them to relax on their own. For two of the adults in our home, it's their "safe" place, usually for anxiety issues...they go in there on their own when they need to 'cope' with something that's stressing them. Other than that, they often just walk into them by themselves when they want to take a nap.

Crates are always set up in our home for our permanent dogs. I only shut the door when there will be nobody home but never more than 4 hours at a time, and even then, they've had plenty of exercise beforehand. At night, they are free to sleep wherever they choose...usually in our room or in one of my sons' rooms.

As your pup matures, he'll most likely not need the crate for training purposes any longer...but if he enjoys it, there's no harm leaving it out for him. But please remember...it should never be used as tool for punishment as he/she'll won't associate it with a "good" experience any longer.

kigndano
July 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM
i would say 8 weeks is too young. i have always heard 12 weeks is the youngest a pup should be taken from its littermates.

someone correct me if im wrong.

jessi76
July 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM
8 weeks is really the earliest a pup should leave the litter. 12 is certainly preferable when possible. staying longer (12wks) enables the pup to learn bite inhibition. How to bite when playing, how hard to bite, and when to stop. If you get a pup early, you will have to work on this skill at home. (you'd have to work on it anyways, all pups play & nip, but pups who stay longer have a better understanding of it)

mafiaprincess
July 11th, 2008, 10:12 AM
I have a badly bred cocker that came home at 8 weeks.. and a cocker from a really great breeder than flew home at 14. Have to say I was whiny and wanted him now.. but waiting till 14 weeks was wonderful in the end. He had a substrate preference. Peed on grass when put on it. He liked his crate never barked in it. Had some pretty stellar bite inhibition. I'd be inclined to wait in future till 12-14 weeks for my next one. Life was easier.

Do you have litters of puppies in mind? American cockers have been over bred. They were the most popular breed registered with the AKC for several years after Lady and the Tramp came out. Sadly, many people are still having litters off poorly tempered un health tested dogs. They have a myriad of eye issues as well as some knee problems.. and many things untestable.. so you want a breeder that knows their lines well.

I'd also be wary of where an ESS comes from. I love the breed.. might own one down the line in future. But I'd also be picky. They have enough health issues as well, along with the potential for springer rage and other temperament issues.

Just be careful where you buy from. I know the prospect of a puppy is exciting. It kills the joy a little when you have an a typical nutso dog that's actually nothign like the breed you had in mind.

I love Cider. I'm glad I grabbed her before she got tossed in the pound.. but we had 2-3 very hard years.. and some things are still difficult. she is not very cocker spaniel like.. but she could be worse for temperament. At least she loves people.

Masha
July 11th, 2008, 10:58 AM
When we were interviewing breeders for a GSD they all said that the puppy goes home at 8 weeks; we took our guy home at 8 weeks. My parent's dobey and in-law's lab also went home at 8 weeks.

rivers
July 11th, 2008, 11:37 AM
You didnt say what breed the puppy will be.
We have a small dog, and what we did is place her bed on the floor next to our bed. Then placed a gate from the end of the bed to the wall, to keep her in this area so she couldn't wander around at night. Newspaper on the floor for accidents.
When she cried during the night, I just had to put my hand down the side of the bed, and pat her to reassure her, and she would go back to sleep. Also I knew when she needed to go outside to pee.
After a few days of this, she knew where to sleep, she knew how to wake me up to go pee outside, no crying.
Now she still sleeps in our room, in her own bed, no barrier anymore, as she doesn't leave the bedroom, even if the door is open. No crate.

The worst is bringing home a puppy, newly taken away from their mother and placing the puppy in a secluded area away from any human contact. No wonder the puppy cries all night!

Good luck with your new puppy

Soter
July 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
apparently 8 weeks is perfect, from 8 - 12 weeks is the puppies 'learning window' any later and they might develop behaviour problems, any earlier and it is too traumatic. I agree with the 'any earlier than 8 weeks' but i thing the 'learnng window' is a bit naive.

I do certainly agree crate training is the best way, i also think it makes the puppy feel more secure that it has its own personal space but it can be near you an stil not get into trouble. Also i know that springer spaniels are exceptionally active (this is good, cos i love going for walks with dogs) so i was wondering, what would be anyones opinions on .... 'it needs less time in the crate and more time outside it..... (because of the breed, it is so active and needs more time running around.) With this also come with extra watching so it doesn't soil the house. I don't mind watching this, but is it really nesacary to let it out of the crate more frequently than another breed e.g golden retriever

soter