Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rottweiller Puppy food

water101
July 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM
We just got an 8 week old Rottweiller puppy and I was wondering what would be the best food for him and how much to feed him.

Chaser
July 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Orijen makes a great grain-free Large Breed Puppy Formula

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/puppyLarge.aspx

And if you're not quite prepared to go grain-free, Wellness just came out with a Large Breed Puppy Food too....but I haven't seen it in stores yet so it's availability may be limited.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_dry_super5mix_puppy_health.html

Or Solid Gold's Wolf Cub (Large Breed Puppy)

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=61&code=180

These are just three foods I would personally choose and have heard great things about. They all set out feeding guidelines on their bags to help you out...and you will notice if you compare that with good foods like these you need to feed a lot less than you do with lower-quality kibble - but puppies eat A LOT in the first year so don't be shocked when you see the amounts. It will go down a lot once your pup is full-grown! I find sometimes companies overestimate the feeding amounts a bit though - it just depends on the dog. When mine was a pup he never wanted to eat as much in a day as the bag suggested.

It's also a good idea to add some canned puppy food into your dog's diet to get extra water into him, but just remember to reduce the amount of kibble accordingly (the can will usually tell you how much dry to take away).

Congrats on your pup! What is his name? And please post pictures for us!

water101
July 10th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks, I will look into those foods. He does not have a name as of yet. Last week we had to put our 13 year old black lab down and my kids were very upset, so I have allowed my 17 year old son to name him and he is still thinking. The new pup is our latested family addition and a companion for our Austrial Sheppard X Boarder collie mix.

rainbow
July 10th, 2008, 01:24 PM
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your black lab. It is always hard to lose a beloved pet....my deepest condolences to you and your family. :grouphug: :candle:

Your new addition is absolutely adorable :lovestruck: and hope to see more pics of him with your Austrlian Shepherd/Border Collie in the Photo Forum here. :thumbs up

Chase Mom gave you three good kibble suggestions. I would just like to add that it is best to read as much as you can to learn about the ingredients in dog food.

There are two websites that have great information that I have bookmarked and still refer to quite often:

1. www.dogfoodproject.com ......click on the links on the left hand side of the page like "Ingredients to Avoid" and "Label Information 101" etc.

2. www.dogaware.com ......click on "Dog Feeding Info" and then you can also click on any of the highlighted stuff for further information.

You may find all the information quite overwhelming at first. If so, come back and ask any questions you may have as there is always someone here to help. :)

Chaser
July 10th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Oh my gosh! What a little sweetie! :cloud9:

Yes please post more pics in the photo forum of him and your Aussie X B.C.!

qhgirl1
July 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I have no experience with large breed puppies but I just had to pipe in and say he is such a lil cutie pie!

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2008, 01:18 AM
You've been given great food choices :thumbs up

so I'll just fawn over the adorable little one :lovestruck: so cute & is that a full tail I see :lovestruck: :highfive: Rottie's with full tails are so cute :cloud9:

and definately would love to see your BC mix as well :cloud9:

:rip: black lab :candle:

erykah1310
July 20th, 2008, 08:49 AM
OMG so adorable... also so sorry to hear about your lab :sad:

I love the pups full tail as well. I had a Rottie with a full tail and I loved it!
Looking forward to many many pics of the little one growing up:D

water101
August 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
I think I am going to go with the ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE food. I let him try some and he seems to like it and acts well on it. What are the big advantages to going grain free. I may want to switch the collie over as well.

I will put up some pictures on Monday of both dogs in the picture section, heading will be Rocky and Mandy

hazelrunpack
August 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM
How did I miss this?!? He's adorable!!!! Congratulations! :grouphug:

:sorry: No food advice....a food guru I definitely am not! :D But I wanted to congratulate you on your new pup! And I'm really looking forward to those pictures! :thumbs up

water101
August 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Some current pictures have been added.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=634892&posted=1#post634892