Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ospca york region

free
July 9th, 2008, 11:29 AM
wondering if this can be true? our neighbor was given a kitten even though she told the people she was not ready for any new pet yet. her daughter took the kitten to the ospca and they said she needed an appointment to surrender a pet and added if she surrendered the kitten it would be euthanized because they already have 150 cats for adoption.

Love4himies
July 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM
It could be possible, maybe not the kitten, but an older one that has been there for a while may be euthanised to free up a cage.

Not sure if York is a no kill facility.

Chris21711
July 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM
wondering if this can be true? our neighbor was given a kitten even though she told the people she was not ready for any new pet yet. her daughter took the kitten to the ospca and they said she needed an appointment to surrender a pet and added if she surrendered the kitten it would be euthanized because they already have 150 cats for adoption.

Why would your neighbour take a pet if she said that she was not ready.
They do prefer for somebody surrending an animal to call ahead, I don't find that strange.
Did they say that the kitten would be euthanized or that there is always that possibility.
My daughter used to work in the adoption centre there (which is where intakes are done) they always try and deter anyone from surrending a pet, asking if they could not find an alternative measure, at the same time pointing out that there is always the possibility of euthanization, not necessarily because of lack of cage space.
Even though there are 150 cats waiting for adoption, currently they are housing over 300.

It could be possible, maybe not the kitten, but an older one that has been there for a while may be euthanised to free up a cage.

Not sure if York is a no kill facility.

Unfortunately it is not L4H, they have cats coming out of the ying yang. They are disposable right :frustrated:

I have already spoken to Ethel, she is going to mention it to the Manager. Personally I don't think that they would say that the kitten would be euthanized but pointed out the possibilities. :sad:

free
July 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
chris the people who brought her the cat brought it with from montreal and didn't get that she didn't want it.
her daughter told her that they would euthanize the kitten.
thanks for checking it out. it is a pity that animals can be dispensible.