Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

the travelling icelander

ponta
July 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hello!

I am an Icelandic cat friend, my cat is 15 years old, a very healthy happy cat. I logged in on this forum to seek advice about my beloved!
In two months I move to Montréal to stay for at least 3 years, I have two choices, either to end her days or to take her with me. People around me have very different opinions on this matter, her vet says that she´s fit to move to a new continent! That is what I want to do, but then I also hear that it would cruel to her. The apartment I´m moving into is cat friendly, but how is it to bring animals into Canada? Are there any obstacles i should know off? And more importantly, what do you think about my little old lady moving to a new country at this age?

krdahmer
July 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
First off, the second option is not an option. Period. She is healthy and the vet says she can travel, so bring her here! I believe as long as she has a letter from the vet that she is all up to date on the shots she needs here, there isn't a big problem to travel with her. And no it's not cruel, the other option (not ending her life but leaving her there with someone else) is far more cruel. She'll be happy no matter where you live as long as she's with you.

There are many here who have flown and moved large distances with their cats... hopefully they can offer some experience too.

:goodvibes: for a safe trip for you both! (and in 3 years you may just be returning home again with her too!) :fingerscr

glasslass
July 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
The environment inside the apartment is all that matters. She won't care what country it's in.

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I agree with krdahmer. As long as you are constant in her world, there is no reason to think she can't adjust well in another country! :thumbs up

Good luck, ponta, safe trip, and welcome to the board! :D

ponta
July 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Thank you good people!

That was just what I wanted to hear.

It is extremely difficult to move animals into iceland, they have to be in isolation for up to 6 months (!) before putting they´re paws on icelandic soil. (really really horrible...)
In three years I will deal with this, (maybe).
But this might be why icelanders find it extravagant to bring pets between countries.

Is there no isolation rule in canada?

aslan
July 9th, 2008, 06:29 PM
As far as i recall, all you need is proof of vaccinations, especially rabies. I don't know about iceland but that was the reason for the 6 mth quarantine in england, You could call the airlines and make sure the rules haven't changed.