Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Furniture that holds up to pets

dmc123
July 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
I have a really old couch, actually a sectional, that saw its better days years ago. I have been covering it with slipcovers for the last several years but now am looking to buy something new.

All of my animals like to share the couch with us. I finally "broke" my older cat from scratching the arms by using double stick tape. The young girls use the scratching post and never thought of touching the couch. I could re-train them all to stay off the furniture but I kind of like sharing the space.

Does anyone that has furniture lounging pets have a recommendation? I have been researching sites on microfiber and leather and read good and bad for both. I know fabrics with woven textures are not good in the "durability" category, much less in the "easy to remove hair" category.

I would appreciate ideas or suggestions.

Lucky Rescue
July 8th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Well, I don't have leather, but everyone I know who does says it holds up wonderfully. Cats don't seem to find the smooth surface attractive for clawing, and of course no hairs stick to it.

I think my next sofa will be leather.:)

cmt489
July 8th, 2004, 05:42 PM
My parents' solution to their pet furnishing needs (4 dogs - 1 akita, 1 akita/wolf, 1 golden and 1 Australian heeler - and 3 cats in the house) was to buy pre-distressesd leather furniture so that no one would notice or care when the claw and scratch marks appeared. I don't have a pic right now of Koji (the Akita/wolf - long story which has been explained once on this board) taking over the extra big armchair (he thinks of it as his.....) but I will try to remember to post one when I am at their house - sooooo cute. :p The heeler has assumed the role of top of the back couch cushion lounger with Fred the cat beside her. The akita prefers the couch, plain and simple. The Golden (a new rescue) sticks to the floor right now.....

In my place (a lot less of a zoo) I also have leather furniture (not distressed) and it is doing okay. There have been some scrape marks left on it but nothing major or disfiguring. ;)

I guess I come by my love of animals honestly..... :rolleyes:

Michelle

chico2
July 8th, 2004, 06:57 PM
DMC,yes definetly leather,we bought all leather after loosing at least 2 sets of sofas and love-seats over the years.I have leather in the livingroom and a micro-fiber or ultra-suede(fake suede)sectional in my den,easy to clean and unattractive to cats,best buys we ever made.

dmc123
July 8th, 2004, 07:44 PM
thanks for the input, that helps me :)

glasslass
July 8th, 2004, 09:17 PM
We put a quilt across the sofa and that keeps it clean. The quilt can just be washed when needed.

Rolly
July 9th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I always learn something on this site...I would never have brought a leather sofa into the house with our menagerie.
My husband mentioned buying a leather sofa a few months ago and my reaction was "are you nuts?" Between the animals and teenagers,grandchildren and grown up kids bringing their animals to visit..i didn't think it would survive.
So i'll get the new sofa/keep the animals/keep the grandkids and get rid of the teenagers!!! terrific It's a win win situation.
Rolly