Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dropped them off

onster
July 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Dropped off Onnie & Bunduk this afternoon at catnap....

Onnie promptly crawled into the litterbox and Bunduk gave me the :eek: stare. Poor Onnie he had such a rough ride over, he was panting all the way and threw up twice :sad: (first time hes been sick in the car)

I just called and apparently Bunduk is mesmerized by the birdfeeders outside his 'cottage' while Onnie is STILL in the litter box ....theyre going to add another litterbox and try to persuade Onnie into a deep basket bed instead.

Certaintly, this is the worst part of travelling. I'll be calling again tomorrow morning before I leave and I hope by then Onnie will be less anxious :fingerscr, I left them with a tshirt id slept in for a few nights so they have some comforting smells.

Anyway I just wanted to thank everyone again for all your wishes and support and hopefully next time Ill be logging in from Cairo :)

Have to go pack my bags (yes still havent :o).

:goodvibes::goodvibes: for my Onnie :grouphug:. Poor boy he really stresses himself out. Im hoping he will be ok by tomorrow as when i adopted him from the Humane society he was in a teeny cage and happy as can be....maybe he thinks im abondoning him tho :shrug::sad: ok.ill leave now b4 i make myself cry , lol...:fingerscr onnie

Lukka'sma
July 8th, 2008, 07:09 PM
It's always hard to have to leave them behind when we travel. It sounds as if you have done everything you can to help them get through this. :goodvibes:being sent to them both and for you too. I know you will be thinking of them and worried, that is natural, but try and have a stress free time while you are away. :thumbs up

aslan
July 8th, 2008, 07:22 PM
:grouphug:for onnie and bunduk, its ok guys mommy will be home before you know it, and you're gonna have soooo much fun you won't even notice.

Onster, have a safe flight and enjoy your vacation.can't believe she came to toronto and didn't tell me, sniff sniff.....

Jim Hall
July 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
have great and safe trip onster the kits will be ok after they settle in and thinhk of the reunion !! :cloud9:

14+kitties
July 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Awww onster. They will be ok. They will love it there! Enjoy your trip hon. :grouphug:

Frenchy
July 8th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Have a good trip onster and don't worry , soon enough the kitties will enjoy their vacation too. :cat:

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2008, 11:55 PM
You should convince someone at catnap to join pets.ca and have them post updates while you're away! :p

They'll be fine, onster :grouphug: They're in good hands. So try not to worry and have a good trip! (And don't forget to take pictures. :D)

TeriM
July 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Awww, poor Onnie and Bunduk :grouphug:.I'm sure they'll settle in quick and be very happy to see you when you return from your travels. Have a great trip Onster :goodvibes:.

onster
July 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM
8 bags all closed, weighed, right on the 50lb max limit + 4 overstuffed carryons...allll done :D

My back is aching and im tired and nervous/excited but its the good nervous :goodvibes:. On the other hand, madame hazel's good friend, madame onster, has made an appearance :crazy: and she keeps insisting that she heard a meow, or that that black waste bucket is Onnie :o (hey it was dark!, sorry noonie) lol.

The house feels so empty without them but im sure they will be fine in a few days (actually according to catnap bunduk is already like paaaartaaaay :party::laughing:) plus ive got my bro's kitty as well as the SPARE animals to keep me company :thumbs up. Thanks for the reassurance all :grouphug:

What I cant decide now is whether to call in the morning and ask bout the kitties or wait until im in cairo and send an email? I think by the time I arrive in Cairo they should be settled in but calling in the morning to hear that Onnie still believes the litterbox is his long lost mother might be a tad bit upsetting :o *sigh*

wooohooo egypt :D lol. so many mixed feelings.

will take lotsa pics!

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Can you sleep on planes, onster?

onster
July 9th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Awww, poor Onnie and Bunduk :grouphug:.I'm sure they'll settle in quick and be very happy to see you when you return from your travels. Have a great trip Onster :goodvibes:.

but that's what im worried about! lol that when I come home theyll be like "who are u??" :rolleyes:

You should convince someone at catnap to join pets.ca and have them post updates while you're away! :p

They'll be fine, onster :grouphug: They're in good hands. So try not to worry and have a good trip! (And don't forget to take pictures. :D)

:evil: They said I could email them as much as I want to ask about them :evil: muahahahahaahah..lol. ill update here on them if anything changes (ie Onnie decides to party or Bunduk's lump decides to go away :pray:)

lol mobro was the one who came with me (mom didnt come cuz she was afraid to cry :o) but he ended up being worse, kept telling me he felt bad for them then had to go wait in the car. He also got a lil upset when the girl there said Bunduk had such a pretty face whereas Onnie didnt get a comment "But Onnie is so sweet, really. He had such a bad car ride I mean....really bunduk is cuter but Onnie is awesome" :rolleyes: needless to say Onnie and mobro have a bond.

aslan I promise we will meet next time Im in TO & sooN! and sorry for not contacting u when I went in 2 town. Had too much going on that day/too much uncertainty (waiting for girl to showup to take keys from mobro etc). :sorry:

onster
July 9th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Can you sleep on planes, onster?

mmm not really. I cant seem to get too comfortable. usually lil bro ends up sprawled on me and I do the motherly patting his hair thing till he sleeps :o Then im soooo uncomfortable with his big skull wedged into my stomache as he snores away yet I feel too bad to move him :rolleyes:

Ill probably arrive in Cairo a Zombee. Were transitting in germany..dunno how many hours, havent checked. Whole fam waiting in cairo airport, dad, gramma, uncle and his fam, auntie and his fam. lol thats how egyptians do it...soooo excited :D:D

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Bunduk's lump will be gone by the time you get back cuz mommie onster won't be irritating it by checking it any more. :p

I used to find vaccination lumps irrisistible...had to feel them all the time...got them all irritated and hard. Finally, madame hazel broke out the cuffs and made me go cold turkey. :o Now I don't check them more than once every two weeks. They go away much faster now... :crazy:

That's sweet how mobro stuck up for Onnie! It's nice when family is close, isn't it? :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM
mmm not really. I cant seem to get too comfortable. usually lil bro ends up sprawled on me and I do the motherly patting his hair thing till he sleeps :o Then im soooo uncomfortable with his big skull wedged into my stomache as he snores away yet I feel too bad to move him :rolleyes:

You should be sleeping now then, or you'll be too tired to greet your family in Egypt! :p

How much time difference is there between here and Cairo? About 10 hours? I should pull down my nifty globe with the time zone indicator on it but I'm too tired. :o

TeriM
July 9th, 2008, 12:39 AM
but that's what im worried about! lol that when I come home theyll be like "who are u??" :rolleyes:

Never happen!! They will miss you and be thrilled to be back home. My kitties always go to my mom's when we go away and they have a great time but as soon as I come back they are all over me and would definately not let us leave them again right away.

onster
July 9th, 2008, 12:39 AM
lol ure probably right re: the lump. Though honestly I didnt touch it much at all the last week :angel:

I should sleep now and I will in abit. Actually have stuff to do in the morning still, have to go to the post office as well as take allllllll my moms plants out on the deck so a friend can water them while were gone.

catnap was so cute they had a board up "welcome Onnie and Bunduk" :lovestruck:

right now its 7:39am in Cairo :thumbs up so if i log on while there ill be parting with the west coasters..weeeee, lol.

growler~GateKeeper
July 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
:goodvibes: for Onnie & Bunduk to relax & settle in for their visit :cat:

:goodvibes: for Onster's trip to be good :D

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2008, 12:42 AM
So only an 8 hour difference! :thumbs up Yep, you'll be an official second shifter there! :D

onster
July 9th, 2008, 12:47 AM
oh by the way, anyone remember a while back how I was saying in chico's thread that my kitties are soooo easy to get into the carriers etc etc. ummm I jinxed it. Onnie is still easy (cuz hes so scared :sad:) but Bunduk has mastered the not getting in the carrier, holy moly he is STRooooonG! And kida dumb too :o even after trying to shove his head in there, being so forceful I thought id bruise him so i let go, he would just stand there next to me, rubbing against my legs purring, this was repeated at least 5 times!!....umm hello cat, this is where u run away, hide under the bed etc :crazy::laughing:

So yes, we were the ones driving down the highway with 2 cats loose in the car. Bunduk was all for it (wooohooo lets sit on the divers head) :laughing: ...i was petrified wed get a ticket. Unfortunatey it also meant that Onnie was sick on my actualy car, not the carrier. Fortunately, this means he didnt get dirty and so didnt have to get hosed down. :thumbs up

onster
July 9th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Never happen!! They will miss you and be thrilled to be back home. My kitties always go to my mom's when we go away and they have a great time but as soon as I come back they are all over me and would definately not let us leave them again right away.

That's really reassuring Teri, :thankyou:. Ive never left any furries of mine not with family b4, that's why im having a hard time of it.

yes growler, rainbow, teri and hazel, for a month and half we shall be united in time shiftedness :D

growler~GateKeeper
July 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Poor kittys, such drama :grouphug:

Bunduk didn't want to leave mommy :lovestruck:
Onnie was probably reacting to everyone's stress in the house too :2huggers:

Duffy loves to ride loose in the car too, she doesn't mind the crate but says curling up on the seat looking out the window is the only way to go :D

onster
July 9th, 2008, 01:00 AM
u know growler I really did notice how they reacted to stress in the car. If mobro and I were fairly quiet it was ok, or if we were talking calmly. However if we started stressing (omg we dont have any gas, oh God I still need to do bla bla bla) Onnie got worse. Also they fed off eachother. If bunduk started meowing, Onnie would respond and back and forth, back and forth until they worked eachother into a frenzy. Realy had to keep Bunduk distracted to keep Onnie in check.

I have to say I was really freaked out by Onnie, before he threw up he made the WEIRDEST noises ive ever heard. Really can only be described as yodelling (sp?). Was really scary.

lol duffy could teach onnie and bunduk about cruising :cool:

growler~GateKeeper
July 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Alot of people don't realize how much stress can affect animals

Yup heard that sound before :rolleyes:

In a day or two Onnie will be relaxed & Bunduk's interest in what's going on around them, will help him :grouphug:

luckypenny
July 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM
have great and safe trip onster the kits will be ok after they settle in and thinhk of the reunion !! :cloud9:

I agree!

It's nice when family is close, isn't it? :grouphug:

I agree again :D . You're going to have such a blast when you arrive in Cairo, Onster! I can't wait to see photos, especially of the animals at SPARE :goodvibes: . Have the most wonderful time and don't forget to take lots and lots of pics to share with us.

Love4himies
July 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Have a good trip, onster!!

Bunduk and Onnie will be just fine!

onster
July 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM
:cloud9:Ahhhhh . I missed it so much.

:goodvibes: As soon as we got off a plane there was a man holding a sign up with my mom's name (woohoo our connection came thru) and we were whisked through passport control, baggage and customs :D That in itself was exciting, lol.

Looked up after passing thru customs and there was my dad waving wildly in the huge crowd and it was only after hugging him that I saw the rest of my family (tho we expected them to be there cuz they always come..but stil :thumbs up).

All came back, ordered food from a family favourite restaurant and sat at the big dining room table (had to pull up xta chairs from the 12 seating too, what a change from 3 people eating together in canada!) and had an amazing meal. Even though we were super tired we stayed up late chatting, laughing and playing twister, lol.

I'm still very jetlagged so I havent gone out and experienced anything "egyptian" yet..well other than the food. lol. mmmMmmm....had a cheese and tomatoe sandwhich at dawn with my brothers (darn jetlag) and I was SHOCKED that my sandwhich was dripping tomatoe juices everwhere. The burst of flavour from that tomatoe was, according to A "ridonculous". Mobro says his taste buds were just slapped awake :laughing:.

Hazel, I had an amazing mango for u :D (remember our discussion?) ..its still not the season but I sniffed those mangos out. hahaha as soon as we came into the kitchen I KNEW there were some, their sweet smell was in the air. My dad hooked me up :D lol we must have been funny last night, passing around a mango, each one of us inhaling deeply :laughing:. I have been known to desperately sniff at a mango in zehrs (canadian supermarket), smell nothing but still buy it in desperation and find it rock hard and bland :yuck:.

Other than the food, Cairo is possibly dirtier and definately smoggier than I remember. At dawn we went into the balcony to look over the nile and take in the view but you couldnt see much at all. Stayed that way till noon or so but now the view is amazing, I'll take a pic soon and post it. Amazingly my asthma isnt acting up and my sinuses are clear! Hurrah! (ok so I have to admit, maybe my dad is right and it is my cats that give me asthma and allergies and not "everything" like I claim..but meh).

I'll update again soon and hopefully it will contain more exciting things than talk of fruit and food, lol.

PS. chris & rainbow....did u get any mail? I sent u guys a card b4 I left but and used the addresses on the back of the mail u sent me but Im having these thoughts that I switched envelopes or wrote the wrong addy in the mad scramble that was my last few days in Canada. :o :thankyou: guys again for the SPARE things, Ive already unpacked it all along with the stuff I bought (and the big bag of sample foods petvalue guy gave me) into two of my backpacks and as soon Ive settled in a bit I will be visiting them :D

katherine93
July 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM
So glad to hear you made it there safely!!!!! HOpe you have an amzing trip.

Best of luck to you!

Love4himies
July 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Hi Onster, glad to hear you had a safe trip. I know what you mean about fresh fruit. When I lived in Germany we vacationed in Spain and the fresh fruit was to DIE FOR. Picked ripe so it is so juicy and full of taste!

Frenchy
July 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
At dawn we went into the balcony to look over the nile

:cloud9: omg the view (once the smog clears) must be awesome !!! I can't wait to see pictures :lovestruck: Enjoy your vacation onster ! :cloud9:

luckypenny
July 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'll update again soon and hopefully it will contain more exciting things than talk of fruit and food, lol.

Oh, but some of us live for that :laughing: .

So happy you're so excited to be back in Cairo. We're eagerly looking forward to learning more and seeing the pics :goodvibes:!

Chris21711
July 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Glad you made it OK Onster, have lots of fun and lots of pics. Dying to hear what they said at SPARE when you showed up with all of your STUFF.

Not received a card, but haven't been to the PO in over a week. Never in a rush to receive bills :yuck: I did PM you my address, it's the same as on the packet though. I hear ya about switching envelopes, did that once when I lived in Spain, wrote two letters one to my bestest g/f and one to an Aunt. Switched envelopes, Aunt gave letter to g/f to Mother, Holy crow did the ***** hit the fan :eek:

ancientgirl
July 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I totally missed this! I'm glad you made the trip okay, and that Onnie and Bunduk are in their new diggs until you get back.

I can't wait to see pictures!

onster
July 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Tried to take a few pics of the view out now, doesnt look like much tho cuz the nile looks like it just pitch black. This is from the front of the house the big tower structure is cairo tower, the towery structure that is glowing green is one of the neighborhoud mosques....then there are some party boats on the nile:D I could hear a wedding in the background and tried to figure out where it was coming from but couldnt... so no pics of that...

and ya this trafic is at 1am!!! lol...

I missed the hustle and the bustle.

From the back of the house we have a view of the pyramids but not showing up now (too dark) basically u see the outline of them earlier in the day.

and thats about it for now, :). Really should try to sleep.

Thanks all for ure well wishes :goodvibes:

Chris- omg re: the mistake u did with the letter!!! I can imagine! lol I would never want my mom to read my correspondances with my best friend!!! hahaha. I havent been to spare yet , I just emailed the director now tho telling her that I am indeed in town and got her a few things with the help of the kind genorosity of others ;)

onster
July 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
:cry:

Im supposed to have highspeed but its taking forver to download the photos :sad: mmmm...trying to figure out my dad's pc..

onster
July 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
:laughing:so the only photo Ive managed to upload is this one, lol

of course it would be the shakey one :wall:

gonna watch some tv while the rest upload :rolleyes: I think im not connected to the net properly and im stealing a neighbour's slow wireless :o oopsie. lol

hazelrunpack
July 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I'm hoping you only uploaded the one in the post directly above this one, cuz I can't see any at all in the post 3 up from here! :eek: Or is it just my connection again... :o

onster
July 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
nono hazel its the only one I could upload onto Facebook to resize and then post here, the others I wasnt able to post yet. Have to wait until dad is up to show me how to connect to the internet properly. still not asleep andits 5am ...aahhhh
anyways off to try to sleep

onster
July 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
anyone know how to resize with those programs? that would make my life easier, no longer can FB be my crutch, lol.

hazelrunpack
July 11th, 2008, 10:29 PM
What programs do you have available, onster? Sometimes the one you use to view photographs has a resize or a compress feature--like Microsoft Office Picture Manager... Paint has a resize function, too, but you have to do it by percents. :shrug:

Stacer
July 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Are Onnie and Bunduk at Catnap Cottages in Arkell, just outside Guelph?

That's where we take Angus and Finn, it is just the most fabulous place and Anita really knows her stuff, she's awesome!! I get excited whenever we leave them there because I know they are getting the best care and I can totally relax knowing that they are OK.

I love how they welcome the kitties with the little blackboard message! And how they record everything that they do with your cats through the day.

I'm glad someone else here has found Catnap!

Anyways, hope you're having a good time in Egypt, can't wait to see pics.

meg4050
July 11th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Onster, so glad you made it!! :D Can't wait for more pics! HAVE FUNNNN!!!!

krdahmer
July 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Glad you made it! Hope you're having fun!

growler~GateKeeper
July 12th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Hey stranger, good to hear you found yourself a decent mango :D

Can't wait for pics & updates :goodvibes:

How are Onnie & Bunduk settling in? :goodvibes:

onster
July 12th, 2008, 06:46 AM
The nile at night (sorry its so dark)
Boats docked, ready for anyone looking for a late night cruise
as I took the picture another boat came across the water

onster
July 12th, 2008, 06:49 AM
the friendly glowing neighborhoud mosque

Kobri seta octobar (6th of october bridge) at night

view @ back of the appartment, pyramids in the distance (contrary to popular belief, the pyramids arent in the middle of nowhere, they are found in the middle of the city!)

onster
July 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
forgot the name of this bridge in the distance

Cairo tower and in front of that the tennis courts are from nadee el-seed (the shooting club - one of the activities is shooting those disk things in the air)

seta octobar in the day

onster
July 12th, 2008, 06:58 AM
another pic of cairo tower

the nile again

onster
July 12th, 2008, 07:01 AM
The significance of cairo tower

One of the best views is from the Cairo Tower, located on Gezira Island (Zemalak) just north of the Museum of Modern Art (which is also very much worth a visit), which provides a panoramic vision of Cairo. This 187 meter tall tower, in the form of a latticework tube that fans out slightly at the top, is said to imitate a lotus plant, and ranks only fourth among the worlds highest towers. It is made of granite, the same material often used by the ancient Egyptians, and is about 45 meters taller than the Great Pyramid at Giza.

To the late President Gamal Abdul Nasser, the Cairo Tower was the best place to dine out. He used to go together with his family to dine in the tower’s restaurant, where there is also a cafeteria. Today, the restaurant rotates at an almost unnoticeable speed. Signatures of all the presidents and various other prominent figures who visited the tower are here in the honoring book and even engraved in the tower's walls keeping unforgettable memories. But such politicians were not the only ones who loved the tower. In fact, one of its first visitors was Hollywood movie star, Katherine Hepburn, even though the tower had somewhat of a rocky footing back then in Egyptian-American politics. It was actually financed with American funds, but was not exactly what the Americans expected Nasser to do with the money.

Completed in 1961 under the direction of Naum Chebib, some say that the tower is, after the Great Pyramid, Cairo's most famous landmark. Certainly this tallest of Cairo's buildings is a highlight of the modern city.

Why it was considered controversial at the time
The lotus shaped Cairo Tower was meant to impress the world as a Nasserite achievement. Piercing the Cairo skyline it would become the proud symbol for the Cairo Governorate.

Yet no one can blame the Egyptian administration if the inaugural ceremony of the Cairo Tower--the world's then tallest concrete structure was a low-key affair. Without doubt the middle of April 1961, when Nasser's crony Kamal al-Din Hussein unveiled the Tower's commemorative marble plaque, was a cataclysmic time.

On April 12th the Eastern Bloc upstaged the West when Moscow put the first man into space aboard a Vostok 1 rocket. From that day onwards, 27-year old Yuri A. Gargarin became an intergalactic legend. Fidel Castro gave the finger to John F. Kennedy's Camelot on April 17th following the botched Bay of Pigs landing. In Europe, de Gaulle suffered his worst ever humiliation as Algeria gathered momentum towards independence

Meanwhile in Alexandria, two self-congratulating pillars of the burgeoning Non-Aligned Movement --Tito and Nasser were having one of their epoch making summits.

In Cairo things were also happening at breakneck speed. For starters the Arab League, designed by Mahmoud Riad, completed its new headquarters on Tahrir Square boasting a delegates' hall second only to the UN's Security Council. Sixteen kilometers away, on the Giza plateau, the Great Sphinx was about to speak for the first time in 4400 years marking the first Sound and Light show inaugurated on April 13th by President Nasser and Crown Prince (later King Constantine) of Greece. Meanwhile at the old Opera House, world conductor-composer Aram Khachaturian put the final touches to his Rhapsody Concerto for Violins to be premiered on April 20th with the presidents of Egypt and Yugoslavia in attendance.

Whatever Al Borg (Cairo Tower) lacked in architectural pizzazz and feisty inaugurals was more than compensated in print thanks to its controversial origins. The result was that the 187-meter structure was written up in countless biographies dealing with Nasser's Egypt. The first to do so was CIA's Miles Copeland in A Game of Nations where he reveals how the LE 450,000 tower was paid for with American hush money originally meant as a bribe to Egypt's strongman. The main player in this Cold War episode was Kermit Roosevelt a relative of the American presidents of the same name..

Roosevelt, then a roving CIA operative, allegedly gave Nasser's confidant Hassan Al Tohami a suitcase stacked with small bills amounting to one million US dollars reportedly to be "used for purchasing presidential security accouterments."

Furious at the suggestion anyone thought he could be bought, Nasser decided to use the American taxpayers money to send the most blatant of messages back to the US. He would build the highest structure in Cairo superseding the largest pyramid of Giza by 43 meters. It would rise from the ground like a giant middle finger so that even the Americans would see it. The tower was known in Egyptian officialdom as waqf Roosevelt or Roosevelt's Foundation (as in Ford Foundation).

Either out of ignorance or a devilish desire to sour relations even more, Arabists in Washington's State Department interpreted waqf to mean waqef or 'erection' underscoring the malicious pun. Furious at the assumed Egyptian sleight the Americans retaliated by referring to the Cairo Tower as Nasser's Prick.

The accuracy of the above parable notwithstanding, it made for entertaining and anecdotal reading. Since then journalists and authors alike could not resist mentioning the incident in their political memoirs.

onster
July 12th, 2008, 07:13 AM
thanks hazel for the info, i figured out how to resize (my dad has ACDsee on his comp)

Stacer I actually posted on ure old thread about catnap..it was u who I got their name from (thanks for posting it!!)!! I wanted to give them ure name so u could get a discount. I can still do that, if u pm me ure info.

My babies are settlign in :D Just got this email from anita

Hello Alia,

Well, has Onnie come out of his shell!!! I'd say. Litterally after I talked to you, I went over and spent some more time with them. Onnie was ALL over me. ALL over. He is so, so affectionate that we can hardly clean his cottage! He is so busy rubbing and giving us head butts. When we put him up on the shelf to clean the bottom self, he comes instantly back down for lov'n.

Bunduk has been just as cute. He now lies on his back and stares at us with the cutest face as if to say, 'how can you resist this face'.

They are both more and more social every day. They play more now than before and are still eating well with all movements normal. They are complete sweeties and such a joy to care for.

I hope this helps you enjoy your holiday!!!

ancientgirl
July 12th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Well first of all, I'm so happy to see Onnie and Bunduk are enjoying their little vacation too!

Now for the pictures. Wow, you have some amazing views. And I especially loved the one with the faint outline of the Pyramid in the background. I've always noticed in pictures how very close it is to Cairo. I think that's neat. I'm looking forward to more pictures.

meg4050
July 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Great pics Onster!! Sounds like Onnie and Bunduk are doing just fine :D

rainbow
July 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM
:headslap: Onster, I didn't realized that you were continuing to post in this thread :o .....I've been watching for pics from you in the photo forum. :D

I'm glad that you arrived safely and the pics are all great :thumbs up .....you have a wonderful view. :cloud9:

That was so nice of the lady from Catnap to email you with the update on Bunduk & Onnie. :thumbs up It must make you feel a little better that they are being so well taken care of. :goodvibes:

Frenchy
July 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I love the pictures onster ! The boats at night , love the lights , like x-mas :D

growler~GateKeeper
July 13th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Good to hear the boys are settling in well :thumbs up

Great pics, love the pyramid in the background - now we need a better look ;) :D Pyramids are so :cool:

The Nile is awesome :cloud9: to think of all the people way back when the pyramids were still being build were sailing on that same river :cool:

Why is the bridge called Kobri seta octobar (6th of october bridge)? Is there significance to the 6th of October other than the bridge's completion date?

I love Ancient Egypt the pyramids, the hieroglyphs, the pharaohs :cool:

It would rise from the ground like a giant middle finger so that even the Americans would see it. The tower was known in Egyptian officialdom as waqf Roosevelt or Roosevelt's Foundation (as in Ford Foundation).

Either out of ignorance or a devilish desire to sour relations even more, Arabists in Washington's State Department interpreted waqf to mean waqef or 'erection' underscoring the malicious pun. Furious at the assumed Egyptian sleight the Americans retaliated by referring to the Cairo Tower as Nasser's Prick.

:laugh: politicians eh :rolleyes: :laughing:

chico2
July 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Oh Onster,so glad I found this thread,I totally missed it before:sad:
Love your pics,beautiful colors in the night-pics.
Of course little Bunduk will cause a stir with his cuteness and Onnie no less cute, is coming around too,must make you feel better.:cat:
Love to see some more pics,but you can take your time,enjoy yourself first!
Are Onnie and Bunduk going to be at Catnap for a month and a half???

onster
July 13th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys, I'm glad u liked the photos.

I think tomorrow we will start to head out and explore/be touristy :D My mom is still suffering from jetlag but the appartment is now clean and were all unpacked :thumbs up Up till now weve just been ordering in yummy food, cleaning, unpacking and playing chess (how exciting :crazy:).

growler http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_October_Bridge for the 6th october bridge thing (yay wikipedia). and yeah those :crazy: politicians !

Chico yep they will be there until August 23...if ure ever in guelph and want to check out catnap cottages (if u ever need to board ure kitties this place is amazing) u should definately give my kitties a visit :D lol ull get to see mr floofy tail in the flesh.

591 Arkell Road
Arkell, ON N0B 1C0

is their addy ....v near guelph :)

onster
July 13th, 2008, 09:03 AM
When I have new photos Ill start in a thread in the off topic forum or something as I dont think this qualifies as on topic anymore :o

sorry mods!

Love4himies
July 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM
When I have new photos Ill start in a thread in the off topic forum or something as I dont think this qualifies as on topic anymore :o

sorry mods!

Good idea, Onster, will you also be posting all the pictures to that thread too? It may make it easier for us to follow your Egypt trip if it is all in one post.

Beautiful pictures, I love looking at pictures of different places around the world.

I thought the pyramids were in the middle of a desert too:eek::o

Frenchy
July 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I thought the pyramids were in the middle of a desert too:eek::o

Same here :o It must be awesome to see them from your appartement :crazy:

rainbow
July 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I didn't think the pyramids were in the middle of the desert but I always thought they were on the outskirts of the city.

Looking forward to all your pics. :thumbs up Are you going to do a thread for "touristy pics" and a thread for "SPARE" pics?

Byrd
July 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Onster, were those from your parent's apartment or a hotel? That's an incredible locale! When I first saw them on Facebook I thought that they were from the tower.

I stayed in an apartment in Zamalek my first time there, but there was no view.

When I first went I actually thought Giza was closer to the city, I thought you'd be able to see the pyramids driving through downtown... guess I'm the opposite of everyone else, I was actually shocked at how far we had to drive out to see them. Here's a link to an arial shot where you can actually see how close the city is to them. www.fileupyours.com/files/82395/2.jpg Another thing that shocked me was the layout, I thought they were the other way around, with the sphinx pointing out toward the desert, not toward the Nile. Funny how we perceive things.

I'm surprised that no one has commented on all the trees. LOL People do seem to think Egypt is still in the past and completely desert. One girl I know actually thought that they still rode camels everywhere and lived in tents. :loser:

I think the other bridge is called 15 of July or something like that. I believe the dates are significant to historical happenings.

onster
July 20th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hiya Byrd :)

Yep thats from my parent's appartment in Cairo - we live on the 12th floor and my uncle lives on the 23rd :).

I actually met an egyptian online who knew the exact building in which I lived from the photos!! lol....if ure ever in the area, its the building with the mobinil and HSBC at the bottom...

Yup the bridge is 15 yulya :D (15 july) I usually know these things but then sometimes I blank..lol...I remember once I was trying to explain to friends (who frequent egypt) where we lived and all I could think of was "we live on the nile" hahaha the one guy in the group said I probably lived in Khartoum (sudan) and I didnt know it :laughing:

gotta run..will post later in the photo thread with some sharm pics.

Youve probably seen this from FB byrd...but it really is a great view..makes chess a little more exciting :rolleyes::D

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
How neat! I'd love to have such a wonderful view from my fake balcony.

Byrd
July 20th, 2008, 11:34 AM
OMG Yeah, I think I do know that building, we stayed at a hotel close to it my last trip. :laughing: How cool. I would love to have that view from my balcony, would make living in an apartment building worth while.

Hubby says the bridges are named after significant dates in history, to quote him "supposingly some important political occasions like the revolution of 1952 and the correction revolution of 1981".

Byrd
July 20th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hey, look what I found, it's the friendly neighbourhood glowing mosque as seen from Cairo Tower, therefore I assume that the tall apartment building to the right of it is the building that all of Onster's pics are from.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7655/april7cairotower8fp2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And although this one's a little fuzzy (it's windy up there) there's the building, pretty much dead centre. If only I'd known at the time. Wouldn't it be funny if we were there at the same time.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/7228/april7cairotower35sz9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

onster
July 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
yuppity yup, thats our place ;)

Its cool I get to see it often on documentaries or tv series when theyre doing a panoramic view of cairo as its got a great location...*pats back off onster's dad* good job baba :thumbs up:D:laughing: The biggest blessing is there is a multistorey parking garage for building residents with reserved spots.....a Godsend in Cairo

onster
July 20th, 2008, 02:49 PM
byrd, im not in town often but seriiously if we are ever in egypt at the same time, you and mohab should be our guests :)

Byrd
July 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
byrd, im not in town often but seriiously if we are ever in egypt at the same time, you and mohab should be our guests :)

Will will definitely take you up on that. If he's not here by December, I'm heading back for New Year's (Dec 27 - Jan 10 approx).

So, do your parents travel between the two countries? I thought you all lived in Canada?

onster
July 21st, 2008, 04:23 AM
my dad travels between the two - he essentially lives in both countries has a full set of clothes here and there. My brothers live here permenantly, one with his canadian wife :)

We used to visit every summer but with clashing school schedules (me in uni lil bro in highschool and now in uni - then hes goign to be on co-op) it can be hard.

I might be going for xmas not sure - really want to go in the winter! I would love to be in the country at the same time as you but I also wish that Mohab has his immigration stuff cleared by then :goodvibes:

Love4himies
July 21st, 2008, 07:10 AM
I'm surprised that no one has commented on all the trees. LOL People do seem to think Egypt is still in the past and completely desert. One girl I know actually thought that they still rode camels everywhere and lived in tents. :loser:

:laughing: Some people are just so ignorant of the world outside their yard. I had an American say to me that he thought Canada was one of the states :loser::loser:

Now I must go in search of Egypt pics.

onster
July 21st, 2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=625850#post625850

here love4himmies :)

The kids have been great... purrring CONSTANTLY and playing and socializing... eating well (even the wet food off and on). We noticed that Bunduk has been doing some heavy breathing with a slight coughing reflex. We looked at his file and see that he has a history of kitty colds and were wondering if this is something we should worry about and take him to the vet for or if it is normal for him and we should just let it go. I don't want to stress him out by taking him to the vet for nothing or for something that is just normal for him, because he is so happy right now and doing so well..

Pls advise us as to what you want us to do. He is eating well and his attitude is the same happy cat despite.

I told her thats somewhat normal for him, to watch him for a few days and then go from there however at any point if shes concerned to take them to the vet. Also asked about the lump.

Got this reply
Thank you so very much for your prompt reply. The lump seems to have gone away completely. We haven't been able to find it for some time now. I gave him a through exam a few times and cannot find anything (btw, the entire time he's purring and giving me love chin nibbles- too cute).

We have put them into the Penthouse suite just in case it is an upper respiratory reoccurance as to not infect others in the kennel. He is still in very good spirits. He has not been outside in the past couple of days, but it may have something to do with the weather either way. We have had a major heat wave. CatNap is kept around 21 degrees, as the cats like it slightly warm, but I am convinced that air conditioning brings out allergies and pre-existing upper repairatory conditions in its own right. So, we will keep a good eye on him, but I agree to not rush to the vet at this point. We do have something here called Viralyse. We get it from our vet and many cats that have history of upper respiratory infection bring it with them when they board. It is only an immune enhancer and not a 'drug' as it is more a food suppliment. I would advise we give this to Bunduk 2x/day. The charge is only $1- extra/day. It is only a 'break even fee' which covers my staff time and we do not even charge you for the meds themselves. Can we give this too him?

We will keep you updated, but I am really not worried. Have a wonderful time away,

I ok-ed the viralyse but I have no idea what it is??? anybody?

lol I think bunduk faked it so he could get the penthouse suite :rolleyes: Dont let those chin nibbles fool u, he's a sneaky one :evil::laughing:

Chris21711
July 21st, 2008, 09:25 AM
I just asked in your picture thread of your bro's kittie, how your guys were doing and now got my answer, sounds all good Onster :thumbs up.

Jim Hall
July 21st, 2008, 12:44 PM
glad to hear the kits are doing well

rainbow
July 21st, 2008, 01:18 PM
I ok-ed the viralyse but I have no idea what it is??? anybody?

I haven't heard of it but I'm presuming that it is a medication with lysine in it as that is good for treating URI's. :thumbs up

Awesome pics of your view. :cloud9:

Byrd
July 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
If I go back this year, we are going to do the 'grand tour' thing again, we had so much fun with that last time. Ideally, I would love to be able to go and 'pick him up', we could travel back together, it would be nice.

:laughing: Some people are just so ignorant of the world outside their yard. I had an American say to me that he thought Canada was one of the states :loser::loser:

:laughing: Camping at Algonquin Park in July, someone from the US came up with their skiis and winter clothes wondering where all the snow was. :loser:

chico2
July 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
L4H,you are right,North American schools really need to teach our kids there is a world outside of the US and Canada:laughing:
I worked with a girl,a 21yr old,who thought Paris was in Italy:yell:

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2008, 08:39 AM
L4H,you are right,North American schools really need to teach our kids there is a world outside of the US and Canada:laughing:

I agree, with all the info that is on the internet, there could be an "International" cirriculum (sp?) that can include history and current info, pics and videos on different countries and cultures. I think that would relieve a lot of ignorance and racism that exists in our society.

ancientgirl
July 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM

It pains me to say this, but my own niece asked one day, when watching a program about the pyramids, "Tia, what's the big deal about all those old things."

Um...no big deal, just the awakening of civilization. Some kids don't see further than their own back yard. They don't know there is a world out there and it has history that is hundreds and thousands of years old. All they care about is who's on My Space and where is the next party.

chico2
July 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Ancient,yes,it's kind of sad....when I went to school,I had to learn 3 languages,English,French and German and I actually loved it.
+ History and Geography from almost every country in the world and I am still interested in History and Geography.
Mind you,before we moved to Canada,I thought there would be Indians wearing feathers and living in Tepees in Canada:laughing:

ancientgirl
July 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
I've always loved learning about ancient cultures and learning about other countries. I only know how to speak English and Spanish, but I've always wanted to learn German and Italian. I wish I had the means to travel, but I watch History channel and National Geographic and get a pretty good amount of travel on my TV :D