Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boarding

ROD
July 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I'm sure many here have boarded their dog at one time or another. I have a standard poodle, who I have been told is LARGE for a poodle. People are always surprised when I tell them he's only 15 months old. I've been asked if he's a giant poodle, but I've not heard of a giant poodle before, so if someone has input on that, I'd appreciate it.

However, my family and I are going away for a few days to Vermont, and as much as I'd like to take him to where we are staying, they unfortunately don't allow dogs.

I know from personal experience how important it can be to get input from someone who has experienced something and can make a recommendation.

So.....who has had a positive experience at a place they have boarded their dog for a few days and would recommend it to me. Chester, the poodle, is still young and can be playful when encourage, and always ready to play with other dogs. He enjoys exercising when I take him to the dog run and playing with his friends there and making new ones. He's not aggresive towards others (dogs & people) and does well with kids as well from our experience so far, and I have a 7 and 9 year old children.

any suggestions to where to go, or not to go, would be appreciated in the Montreal region.

We used someone last year who worked out of her house in St. Anne on the west island of Montreal, but unfortunately we were a little late in calling her and she is booked.

:thumbs up:pray:

allymack
July 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Check your phone book, i know this may not sound like the best idea, and that you would mostly like a response from some one who has expirence with a boarding place around you, but if you find one that sounds good in the phone book, go check it out, its worth it. I'm sure you know what your looking for in a boarding place anyways, big open play area, clean, friendly pet loving staff, very safely enclosed, etc... also make sure that they have a rule that your pet has to be up to date on all vaccinations so you wont be taking any chances. Another good place to find a good boarding place is to ask your vet, they will know of a good place or two that you can check out. hope this helps :)

SnowDancer
July 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I agree with asking your vet and if your pup has a groomer - ask there as well. This is how I found the lovely lady who home boards my dog (in Toronto though). You may find that they make use of certain boarding facilities themselves - and I would most likely say "home boarding" options. My Eskimo would not do well in a kennel. I haven't heard of a giant Poodle, but there are so Standards that my Eskie knows (and they love him) that are big - but there are also several little tiny poodles in the mix which perhaps makes the full Standards appear bigger than they are. I remember so well just before my guy was neutered he had encounters with 2 Standard females - not yet spayed - I was very worried I would end up with a basket of EskiePoos on my doorstep. The owners told me not to worry that my dog ws small - 22 bs. and theirs were big - right - their girls were bending over!

ROD
July 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Yes, the woman I used last year is a home boarder, but she is booked and I got her from my vet.

I recently got a couple of additional names, but things are not always what they appear. I was hoping for some personnel imput from people who have had good experiences at any particular place. This is my second time boarding him and thought maybe someone with prior history with boarding their pet might direct me accordingly.

since I'm going to Vermont, i might be willing to try one there as well.

:fingerscr