Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Holy smokes! Czarina got out of the kitchen!

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Okay, so I'm sitting here looking at some of my emails and I see Oksana next to me. Kiska in their living room, Maks near the window and another smallish cat that isn't in any way Vlad.

I look and think "Okay who is that cat?" I thought Czarina was in the kitchen. I blinked several times and realized "Ack! It's her!"

She walked slowly to the window. Maks walked towards her and she hissed. Then she went under one of the orange chairs and Maks followed her and she hissed and swatted at him. Maks came running to me so I pet him and sent him on his way. I started calling to Czarina and she came out then started walking towards the kitchen. I felt relief because I can see she sees that as her safe area. I moved the screen open for her a little more and she went in.

I'm thinking this is a good sign?

rainbow
July 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I think it is definitely a good sign. :thumbs up As we have all said it's best to let her make the rules. She will probably start coming out a little more once she realizes she is not threatened by anything. :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I think as long as she knows she can go in there I might stop securing the screen closed while I'm home. I'll secure it while I'm at work and at night. But I guess if she wants to come out on her own and explore I'll let her. :fingerscr

14+kitties
July 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
:highfive: She got out, there was no bloodshed! Yes!!!! She is doing fantastic! Definetely progress.
If you decide to unlatch the screen and let her move around the apartment while you are there to watch just make sure once she starts moving around and gets close to one of the others you don't tense up. She will sense that. She is doing soooo well. :highfive: to her AND you!!!

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I'm glad you said that about tensing up. When I realized it was here I was a little worried, especially when I saw Maks going near her. Maks is such a timid little guy when it comes to new things. I didn't want her to hurt him, but when she swatted at him his good kitty reflexes kicked in. :laughing:

I'll remember what you said and just be nonchalant about it. I'm very happy that she wants to explore. I want her to see there is a whole other world for her outside of that kitchen.

Winston
July 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Awesome news AG! my only worry about you leaving the screen open too much is that if the other ones decide to invade her space she may feel threatened again...can I suggest that rather than you leave it open freely you just allow it when your sitting around and can stop the others from going in? maybe for an hour or so at a time? I am just thinking she will gain more confidence rather than maybe some baby steps backwards? What do you think?

Things are certainly lookin good!
:thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Winston, no worries I'm only going to leave it unsecured while I'm actually here in the living room and can watch the goings on. I'll secure it when I go to work and to bed.

When she did get out Oksana went into the kitchen but she came right out when I called her, so the others seem to be respecting her area.

I do not want to have an incident caused by doing something too soon. I'm letting her make the choice and letting her come out when she feels ready.

Stacer
July 7th, 2008, 08:33 PM
That's awesome progress! Yay Czarina!! She'll be snuggling with the others in no time. I guess that prozac is really kicking in! :laughing:

Frenchy
July 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Of course this is a good sign ! :highfive: she's taking baby steps :D

slowly but surely :thumbs up

Love4himies
July 8th, 2008, 07:16 AM
That is an excellent sign :thumbs up. If you see her starting to get a little stressed when she is free, then I would send her back to her room. Better not to let things get too heated.

krdahmer
July 8th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Wow that sounds like it went very smoothly... and Czarina was such a good girl to go willingly back to her room! She was testing the waters and found something of interest... your window! A very exciting first step! :highfive: And Oksana, doing a little recon in enemy territory! Too cute! :rolleyes::laughing:

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I was very lucky she willingly went back to the kitchen. I didn't want to have to pick her up if she was stressed, since that might stress her out more.

Sometimes when I'm leaving the kitchen she follows me to the screen and I can see she wants to go out, but she's still afraid. Hopefully she'll want to explore more and more now.

I think Oksana just wants to be able to climb to the top of her cabinets again.:laughing:

When I get home later I'll leave the screen unsecured again. Just to give her the opportunity of getting out and exploring if she wants. I've also noticed her sitting outside the pyramid more so that's another positive sign. :D

Chris21711
July 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Yikes AG, when I read your heading that Czarina had got out, I thought you meant out out. What a relief, good grief Charlie Brown, seems like progress is being made :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Sorry for the scare. No thankfully she did not get out. She did that once before and it was impossible to get hold of her after that. Once I get her used to the rest of the place I'm going to have to start blocking the front door once again with the screen.