Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Frustrated with #2

Axl&Bailey
July 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
OK so i wrote a week ago about house training my puppy... we are using training pads so that he goes indoors. Now, for #1, he goes relatively often on the pads. We might have an accident or 2 during the day but nothing major. The problem is i can't get the puppy to #2 on the mats AT ALL. not once. I usually put his poo on the pad and show him, and no not my shoving him face in it but just showing him that thats where it goes but still no luck. .. any tips?!?!?! :censored:

Purpledomino
July 7th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Puppies generally have pretty predictable times that they need to poop. If you figure those times out, it should be easier for you to plan to have him near his pee pad or confined with it. It is usually right after eating, or upon waking from a nap.... make sure he is right by his pad with no free reign of your house. Do you crate him or have an X-pen? Those are invaluable to housebreaking a puppy. The whole idea is to make it impossible for him to have the opportunity to make mistakes, and PRAISE when he goes where you want him to. You kind of have to train YOU before he catches on. He will get it eventually, it just takes time...be patient, he is a baby still. You really cannot expect much consistency until about six months or so...but that also depends on the dog. Good luck! :dog:

lm9012
July 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I agree with the other poster..you need to just focus on the Positive. So when they miss, just ignore it and clean it up as soon as possible. If you catch them about to miss pick them up and run them to the pad, and TONS and TONS of praise when they go on the pad. Eventually they will figure out that they only get the parade and yummy treat when they go on the pad! They'll figure it out. Some take longer than others but with patience and lots of POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT it will work.

At least you're indoors, I can't tell you how many looks I would get when I would get an untrained foster and I'm outside clapping saying: "oh that's a good poopy..yey we went poopys, that's such a good doggie, you went poopy all by yourself..yey yey!!"

LOL!! :laughing:

I just read your other post and see the pup is a Jack! as a proud mommy of one myself I can assure you they are super smart! You will be fine!!

Good luck!!

14+kitties
July 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Maybe you should take the time to read this............

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54386

It is a wonderful little story which was just posted today by a regular poster. You will love it!

It takes time and patience to house train a dog. Is there some reason you don't want to train him for outside?