Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finally some pics of my little Wren

Chris21711
July 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Finally after taking umpteen pics, they seem to be comfortable with me puttering in the garden.

He/She was on the perch with the beak open and any time a bug flew by, it would be nabbed:

From what I have read about these little guys, they make from 5 - 7 decoy nests, consequently I think that two other boxes we have in the yard are decoys and this one is the one they call home.

Hoping you can see them Hazel, made them a wee bit smaller for the handicapped like you and I :laughing:

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2008, 01:21 PM
:cloud9: Yep, I can see them!

Nice to see wrens again. And yes, the male stuffs twigs into all the suitable nesting sites, then takes the Grand Tour with his lady love. She does the actual choosing...and then, likely as not, will take all the twigs out and start over so as to get it right! :laughing:

We used to have wrens in the city--sort of surprising because we had no underbrush or thickets for them. More bluebird habitat there, but no bluebirds...we'd get tree swallows, but no bluebirds.

Now that we're out in the woods, with tons of wren habitat, we're lucky if we see one wren a year! :shrug: Go figure! And guess what moved into the bird house? Yep...bluebirds. :confused: hazel is confoosed.... :D

Chris21711
July 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I'd kick them all out j/k to have Bluebirds. We have a nest box in the backyard that always has tree swallows and one year I saw Bluebirds checking it out, but alas, it was already taken :sad:

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Tree swallows are great, though! They eat way more mosquitoes than bluebirds do! :D That makes them top bird in my book! :thumbs up

Please Lord, send swallows hazel's way!!!! :pray: The mosquitoes are so wicked this year!!!!

Chris21711
July 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Skeeters are real bad here too Hazel, after a certain time in the evening it is unbearable, sitting outside loses it's pleasure :yell: and we wait so long for warm weather.

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Skeeters are real bad here too Hazel, after a certain time in the evening it is unbearable, sitting outside loses it's pleasure :yell: and we wait so long for warm weather.

:laughing: hazel knows better--she's always waiting longingly for winter! :o

14+kitties
July 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Neat pics Chris!!! It's cool to catch the wren with beak open waiting for bugs! And I love the house!!!!! I need to come take lessons from the artist. :rolleyes:

Chris21711
July 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
:laughing: hazel knows better--she's always waiting longingly for winter! :o

Hazel has been hanging around with madame Hazel too long :laughing:
Neat pics Chris!!! It's cool to catch the wren with beak open waiting for bugs! And I love the house!!!!! I need to come take lessons from the artist. :rolleyes:

This one is made from old cedar shingles 14k, get Hubby hammering :D

Hazel, I was thinking Mrs. Wren is awfully demanding needing so much choice and then rearranging the furniture it's a wonder that Mr. Wren even bothers :confused:

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Well, it's like this, see? Mr Wren has urges.... Only Mrs Wren can satisfy them... So he does what he needs to do to woo her... :p The lady calls the shots! As it should be! :laughing:

Chris21711
July 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Well, it's like this, see? Mr Wren has urges.... Only Mrs Wren can satisfy them... So he does what he needs to do to woo her... :p The lady calls the shots! As it should be! :laughing:

Men! Will do anything for a bit of skirt :laughing:

14+kitties
July 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
This one is made from old cedar shingles 14k, get Hubby hammering :D

Nope, I will get hammering myself, thanks! I love working with my scroll saw. Will give me an excuse to get back out there!! :thumbs up
I love the shingles. I can see why the birdies love it so much! Looks like home to me!

Chris21711
July 8th, 2008, 12:08 PM
He doesn't have a scroll saw, he's underprivelaged :D Actually he has no more old cedar shingles either, those ones were salvaged from Ethel's playhouse he built when she was younger. Man never throws anything away!