Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Is my dog depressed?

Chewy Vuitton
July 7th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I hope someone can help me. A few days ago I noticed the behaviour of my dog changing. At first she wasn't eating as much, but now she doesn''t move much at all, she doesn''t even greet me when I arrive home from work. She sleeps all day and has lost her appetite. She has also become extremely attached to a toy dog and will not go anywhere without it. I tried to hide it one night and she become extremely anxious and ran around the house looking for it.
I took her to the vet as I was extremely worried but they could not find anything physically wrong with her. She is 3 years old and has not been desexed, but she does not get along socially with other dogs and has always been this way. Can this have anything to do with it?

badger
July 7th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Did the vet take any blood, test for parasites, urine?
The behaviour with the toy does seem a little neurotic. Is she alone for longer periods than usual? Have you thought about asking someone to walk her during the day? Dogs are social animals, they need stimulation.
There are many people here who could help you to socialize her enough to feel more comfortable around other dogs. She needs to get out, at the very least for a good walk morning and evening.

PS If everything checks out physically, please don't give her meds but try more walks, more play, more interaction with her pack (that's you!).

pitgrrl
July 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM
She is 3 years old and has not been desexed, but she does not get along socially with other dogs and has always been this way. Can this have anything to do with it?

Um, did you talk to your vet about your dog going into heat or expereince a false pregnancy, 'cause with the babying of the toy and all the rest of it that would be my bet.

from: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_false_pregnancy.html
CLINICAL FALSE PREGNANCY

When false pregnancy persists it can be a nuisance. The female dog can show the following signs:

* Nesting

* Mothering inanimate objects

* Lactating (giving milk)

* Abdominal distension

* She can even appear to go into labor.

Some female dogs are very sensitive to the hormonal fluctuations of their cycle. Diagnosis is made by history and physical examination rather than by blood test. The key is to find symptoms of pregnancy in a female dog who is not pregnant. Symptoms generally become noticeable 6 to 12 weeks after estrus.

badger
July 7th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Wow. Never even thought of it! but definitely worth checking out (I would expect the opposite behaviour?)

Purpledomino
July 7th, 2008, 11:44 AM
May I ask why you haven't had your girl spayed? If you don't know this, you could be subjecting her to medical problems associated with unaltered females such as pyometra or mammary cancers. I would talk to your vet about this. :pawprint:

Chewy Vuitton
July 14th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the advice...a couple of days after I took away her toy she seems to be getting better slowly. The vet only conducted a body examination and said she couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I guess I'll see how she goes but I think spending more time with her is helping.

lm9012
July 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM
If you don't notice any more changes in her mammary glands and her private area doesn't get swollen you can rule out the false pregnancy. If she continues with the lethargy and the loss of appetite I would take her in and get some blood drawn at least.

There are tons of diseases that start out with something as simple as lethargy, and not eating for a dog is never good!

The fact that she doesn't come greet you when you come home scares me the most. That's how I figured out something had to be wrong with my little one and unfortunately it turned out to be a deadly disease. I truly hope this isn't the case for you OF COURSE!

Hopefully it is just a mental thing, has anything changed about her environment recently? someone who was with her a lot, no longer around? Did you move? Are there new people/animals around now? Dogs are creatures of habit, and sometimes don't adapt to change well. Break-ups, Divorces, new additions to the family, even changing their walking arrangements can affect them...some doggies are much more dramatic than others. I'm the mommy of a DRAMA KING, I know!

Good luck and keep us posted!

And also, please consider getting her spayed, not only will you not have to deal with her heat cycles anymore, but you will help avoid many diseases as well.