Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog poos in middle of lawn

timbo
July 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hi, i have a problem with my new dog (8 months old, had her for 2 months) which i couldn''t find an answer to. She was housetrained when we got her, but she poops on the back lawn right in the middle of where we walk out to the back shed. I''ve tried walking her out to an area where we want her to poo after feeding & first thing in the mornings etc. I''ve tried pointing at the poo and saying "dont poo here" angrily while moving it away. I''ve even tried rubbing her nose in it. But she just still poos there. Do you have any suggestions? (shes a red shar pei/ staffy cross) Thanks, Tim:confused:

Chaser
July 7th, 2008, 12:04 AM
You're on the right track by taking her to where you want her to go, but I would stay away from punishing her and especially from rubbing her nose in it! As far as she knows, she got it on the grass and not in the house and is therefore doing a great job....so she will get very confused at you getting mad at her.

Keep taking her out to do business in in your preferred spot on a leash, and offer LOTS of praise and special treats when she goes in that spot. There will no doubt be some mistakes, so just ignore them and keep the focus on the positive reinforcers when she goes where you want her to. It shouldn't take long for her to prefer that spot herself and go to it automatically most of the time.

Lissa
July 7th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hi, i have a problem with my new dog (8 months old, had her for 2 months) which i couldn''t find an answer to. She was housetrained when we got her, but she poops on the back lawn right in the middle of where we walk out to the back shed. I''ve tried walking her out to an area where we want her to poo after feeding & first thing in the mornings etc. I''ve tried pointing at the poo and saying "dont poo here" angrily while moving it away. I''ve even tried rubbing her nose in it. But she just still poos there. Do you have any suggestions? (shes a red shar pei/ staffy cross) Thanks, Tim:confused:

Please remember this dog is still a puppy and having switched homes, she is having to make all sorts of adjustments... Training takes time - you need to set her up for success and not allow her to make the wrong choice.
BTW - rubbing her nose in her business is abusive - I hope you will no longer choose that route - especially since its obviously not working.
Also - disciplining her for doing her business outside is not a good idea, unless you want regressions in house training.
If this is such a problem, why not just take her for a walk and solve all your problems?

Keep taking her out to do business in in your preferred spot on a leash, and offer LOTS of praise and special treats when she goes in that spot. There will no doubt be some mistakes, so just ignore them and keep the focus on the positive reinforcers when she goes where you want her to. It shouldn't take long for her to prefer that spot herself and go to it automatically most of the time.

Excellent advice...all I would add is that there should be NO mistakes if YOU manage it correctly.... If your dog is on-leash, going poop in the wrong spot should not even be a possibility.

This is a handler issue, not a dog one... It could take 100s of repititions before your puppy understands that only 1 part of that yard is hers... Until you managed the situation so that you are clear about what you want, your dog will remain confused!

mona_b
July 7th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I agree with what was said by the other posters.

Also,what you can do is,when she poops,take her back in.Pick that poop up and put it where you want her to go.Clean up where she went before real good.But remember,when you take her back out,take her directly to the spot where you put it.When she goes in that spot,praise her like crazy.Hope that made sense.I had to do this with one of my GSD.

PLEASE don't rub her nose in it...That is just sooooo wrong.And yes,abusive.:sad:

Purpledomino
July 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I think you are asking way too much too soon. An eight month old dog is a PUPPY...and you are lucky that she is going outside consistantly at all. I am also surprised that your aren't having more problems with her than going in the "exact spot", considering the cruel way you are dealing with this by "rubbing her nose in it". That is appalling. :mad:

When you find her going where you don't want her to, just shoo her away or guide her to the area you want her to go...making dissaproving sounds. When she goes in the right spot...praise her and play with her. Dogs live in the moment, so unless you correct at the exact time...it is pointless.

And if she NEVER understands that and still goes outside in the wrong spot....you need to pick up her poo each time instead, resigning to the fact that your dog is still housetrained. Be content with that. :2cents:

yettiyodamarlo
July 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
First,
don't rub his nose in feces. That's disgusting and most likely is not helping him learn what you want him to AT ALL.

I'd recommed trying to pen an area where you want him to go potty? That way you can place the pup in there for some amount of time after a meal or whenever he needs to. After a while, he'll get used to it and you'll be able to take the pen away.

Good Luck! :)

kigndano
July 21st, 2008, 05:25 PM
ditto.

some people here would say im overly physical with my dog.

but that said, i wouldnt rub a dogs nose in poop. not only is it gross, but i would think poop up the nose could infect something?

then youd have a non-housebroken dog, and a vet bill too.

i did hear that training myth a lot though, so i understand where you would think that was something that you could/should do.

just listen to all the advice here and you'll be fine, it does take time...i will vouch for that.

the people here are really really smart, and usually offer very friendly advice.