Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spaying questions....

shan
July 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM
My shih tzu/bichon will be 6 months at the beginning of August, and I will be getting her spayed. I am just wondering if I get the operation done on a weekday, will she be okay to be left alone the next day while I am at work? I cant really afford the operation AND to miss work... Also is it necessary for her to stay overnight at the vet or could she come home that night?

Luba
July 8th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't myself. Arrange for it to be done on a Friday then. By Monday morning your girl would be fine for you to go to work. Hope she isn't left alone 'all day' though?

My girl was done yesterday and I brought her home last night at midnight, for her to be more comfortable. Every vet is different though, some want them to stay overnight. AND every dog is different. Some have a rough go of it and start licking a great deal.

shan
July 8th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I thought of getting it done on a weekend, but my weekends are completely booked around that time. I dont want her to go in heat, so I want to get it done as close as possible to 6 months. Thats why I thought a weekday would work.

Shae
July 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Hi....NO, do not leave her alone! Chances are she may lick or chew at her suture line. If it doesnt open it becomes red and swollen and, you think you can't afford it now? Just wait if she ends up licking at it. She'll be back in the hospital and you'll get dinged with another vet bill. Is there anyone that can doggysit her? The animal hospital will usually keep her an additional day if required for a day fee. If you absolutley MUST leave her alone.....pick up Variton cream to lather on the sutures along with a head cone so she cannot reach. Double protection. At our clinic, we'd "give" out the cones for a refundable deposit. And finally make sure she's confined in an enclosed area...small area...like a bathroom where she cannot run about or try to jump on things like a bed,etc. After her surgery , you need to limit your pets acticity for about a week. And NO LICKING ...be sure to grab Variton cream after her surgery. Some vet let the patients go home same day after being spayed but most like to keep them overnight. This way they are confined during the night to a kennel so they can't injure themselves as they wake up and recover from anasthesia. Best to leave her overnight for her own protection if it's possible. She'll be groggy for most of the night anyway. Hope this help! Good luck !

Luba
July 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Then let her stay in boarding at the vets for a couple of days if nobody can stay with her.