Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long should I watch a cat hit by car?

14+kitties
July 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
John and I were going to Costco this morning to get cat food (go figure). About half a mile down the road there were two vehicles stopped. One was one of the neighbours, the other a stranger. I am so glad they stopped! My neighbour was carrying a cat who she said had been hit by a car. She was bringing it to me thinking it was one of mine. I thought it was too. Same colouring. It isn't. Mine are all accounted for. It is possible it is one of the ferals I got fixed. :shrug:
Anyway, I carried the cat home. No sign of blood, no discernable injuries, no breaks, no swelling of the belly or anywhere else to indicate internal bleeding. She was in shock - breathing through the mouth rapidly. I still have the large dog crate set up in my porch so in she went. I checked her over again. Still couldn't see any sign of injury. Her breathing slowed to normal within a few minutes. I have been keeping an eye on her since then. Have food and water with her of course. She was letting me pet her but now she is hissing. I think the shock is over and she just wants to go. :shrug:
My question is - how long do you think I should keep her? I am thinking 24 to 48 hours? Hubby says she's fine, let her go. MEN! :frustrated: I am checking her about every 15 minutes. If I see a change she will be heading right to vet.

Lukka'sma
July 6th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I have no idea how long you should keep her, but just wanted to say thank God you did!:)

minimomma
July 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I would say 48 hours.. But internal bleeding is a funny thing, Sometimes it won't affect the animal for a week. I guess it depends on the kitty

14+kitties
July 6th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I will of course ask the neighbours if they are missing a kitty. Storm seems to know her which makes me think she is maybe another feral I haven't seen. Or one I have already had fixed. :shrug: They are all looking alike to me. :rolleyes:
Lukka'sma - I would never not stop. I am just glad she isn't seriously hurt. :thumbs up

Dr Lee - if you happen to look in - do you have an idea? She is active, is moving around, no sign of any bleeding, breaks. Seems very alert.

Frenchy
July 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
She was letting me pet her but now she is hissing.

:laughing: I think she's feeling better :laughing:

Thank you so much for taking her , I'm hoping she will keep getting better ! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
July 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Thank goodness she doesn't seem to be injured and that you were there at the right time. I'd keep her overnight at the very least. Maybe PM Dr. Lee. I've seen him tell people to do that.

I wonder if maybe you can take her into the vet tomorrow and have them give her a quick check up. They might be able to at least tell you if she has any internal bleeding.

Love4himies
July 7th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Oh 14+, you are such an angel. I would keep her at least 24 hours, but 48 is better just to make sure she is eating, pooping ok.

I saw a cat get hit by a car, it ran away so everybody thought she was fine, after a few hours she made it home to her 2 day old kittens, the owners took her the vet, broken bones galore, she had to be put down.:sad:

Jim Hall
July 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM
id say 48 hrs but tis tricky as you know

btw when you neuter ferals dont y'all clip an ear ?

wolfcat
July 7th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Yes, things can develop later when cats involved with cars...

Why not be on the safe side and take the cat to the Toronto Humane Society or Toroto Cat Rescue? They have access to their own vets and exist for the benefit of the cats.

14+kitties
July 7th, 2008, 08:49 AM
id say 48 hrs but tis tricky as you know

btw when you neuter ferals dont y'all clip an ear ?

She is good today. I am keeping her and will be in touch with a foster program.
The clipping ears is something I just heard about from you guys in the States. We need to start doing that in Canada too. I will pass the word to the vets I work with. Thanks Jim! :thumbs up

Why not be on the safe side and take the cat to the Toronto Humane Society or Toroto Cat Rescue? They have access to their own vets and exist for the benefit of the cats.

wolfcat - I am about 1 1/2 hours away from TO. Will not take it to the THS and do work through TCR. Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
July 7th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I am glad she is doing OK.:thumbs up

krdahmer
July 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Well a big :thankyou: :2huggers: again for offering your time to take care of yet another kitty! :cat: Hope she keeps getting feistier! :goodvibes:

Oh and clipping the ears does sound like a good idea if it was universal... that way cats with clipped ears wouldn't be picked up and pts, thinking they were feral and uncared for.

Oh and Palomine had his ear clipped when I took him in (recently from what I could see it was still a bit angry looking) we figured he had been in a fight or something, but maybe it was done on purpose? :shrug:

mona_b
July 7th, 2008, 10:35 AM
That is soooooo good to hear..........:highfive:

Hmmmm,I have never heard of the clipping of the ear...Say a cat that got clipped was found.Would the HS or spca know what this meant????

phoozles
July 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Oh 14+ you are such an :angel:
Glad to hear this little one is bouncing back - I know I had a :crazy: kitty a while back (it was actually my sister's) and he got run over by a car, but didn't sustain any injuries (I guess the bottom of the car completely cleared him) he was very lucky!

14+kitties
July 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM
:o guys. Thanks so much! I couldn't do anything different. She needed someone.
She is definetely not one of the ferals I got fixed. We are thinking now she got dumped. Not even sure if she was hit by a car or not. She may have been kicked out of a car. :shrug: She should have had some marks on her if she had been hit, shouldn't she? There was nothing. She was just lying in the road when the first car got to her and stopped, thank God. Then my neighbours stopped after that. My neighbour was on her way to my place when we got to them with kitty who seemed to be in shock.
She has been out of the crate walking around the porch. Not really super friendly but I can understand that. She has been through a lot. She will stay, probably forever, but at least until I can find her a home.
You can tell by the pic why I thought she was one of mine. But none of mine have a nose smudged like that one!!

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Awww, she's a little cutie. Bless you for taking her in and giving her a place to stay.

Crestedcrazy
July 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I'm so glad she's OK :)

phoozles
July 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Our little guy who was run over didn't have any scratches either - he was just in shock, same as this one - if my brother didn't see it happen we wouldn't have even known that it had..

She's gorgeous - I'm so happy that she's doing well :cloud9: Do you have a name for her yet?

mona_b
July 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
She is sooooooooooooooooooo cute......:cloud9:

And a tabby taboot.........:D

catlady999
July 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM

FYI for future reference: Humane Societies are legally prohibited from providing medical treatment to animals that they do not own. They cannot provide medical treatment to an animal unless that animal is surrendered to them. Some people have done this, and then offered to adopt the animal when it becomes available. But you do, actually, have to sign ownership over to them before they can treat the animal. That's not just THS - that is province wide. It is part of the veterinary act. If you don't want to surrender the animal, you have to go to a private vet.

angeldogs
July 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
She a beauty.glad she is doing better.

14+kitties
July 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Phoozles - I haven't named her yet. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?
Mona - she IS a tabby. :cloud9: :D
She is going in to my vet for a checkup and to be treated for ear mites. She has not been very well looked after. :(

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2008, 10:04 PM
She is very pretty. :lovestruck: And she's camouflaged to fit right in with your crew! :D

Glad to hear she's doing so well! :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for continued good health

14+kitties
July 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
She is kinda camouflaged, isn't she hazel? :rolleyes: It's going to take a while to get her to the point of settling in with my crew though. I am not even sure if she has been spayed. :shrug: I haven't been able to feel any scar tissue. Hopefully the vet can. :fingerscr
Thanks for the good wishes. :)

mona_b
July 7th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I haven't named her yet. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

Ahem.Ummmmm She looks like a......Lets see.Hmmmmmmmmmm.:lightbulb:

MONA..........:D

14+kitties
July 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Ahem.Ummmmm She looks like a......Lets see.Hmmmmmmmmmm.:lightbulb:

MONA..........:D

:laugh::laugh::laugh: But if I name her Mona when you adopt her (cause she's the tabby you have always wanted) it will sound silly you walking around the house calling yourself. :rolleyes: :p

K, I'm going to bed now. :D

krdahmer
July 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: But if I name her Mona when you adopt her (cause she's the tabby you have always wanted) it will sound silly you walking around the house calling yourself. :rolleyes: :p

Or the perfect camoflauge for some already questionable behaviour!:cool: :laughing:

She is beautiful 14... and I wouldn't doubt her being even thrown from a moving car maybe.... in the ghetto, one girl drove off with her cat and came back without it, shocked that it 'may' have jumped out while she was driving! :sad::wall::yell: Cruel and stupid people know no bounds...

Chris21711
July 8th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Phoozles - I haven't named her yet. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?
Mona - she IS a tabby. :cloud9: :D
She is going in to my vet for a checkup and to be treated for ear mites. She has not been very well looked after. :(

She cute 14k, the only Tabby I ever had was called TINKA, it's a cute name non?

Chris21711
July 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
FYI for future reference: Humane Societies are legally prohibited from providing medical treatment to animals that they do not own. They cannot provide medical treatment to an animal unless that animal is surrendered to them. Some people have done this, and then offered to adopt the animal when it becomes available. But you do, actually, have to sign ownership over to them before they can treat the animal. That's not just THS - that is province wide. It is part of the veterinary act. If you don't want to surrender the animal, you have to go to a private vet.

Actually catlady999, FYI - if the OSPCA seizes an animal that needs veterinary care that animal is provided with care, regardless of whether the animal in question has been signed over to them or not. If the said owner is allowed to have the animal back into his/her possession, then all fees are to be reimbursed to the agency in question. Failure to do so, the animal then becomes the 'property' of the OSPCA.

Love4himies
July 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Actually catlady999, FYI - if the OSPCA seizes an animal that needs veterinary care that animal is provided with care, regardless of whether the animal in question has been signed over to them or not. If the said owner is allowed to have the animal back into his/her possession, then all fees are to be reimbursed to the agency in question. Failure to do so, the animal then becomes the 'property' of the OSPCA.

That's true, I know of a case where an OSPCA agent had to seize a cat for medical care when the owners didn't want to turn it over to them.

Frenchy
July 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
:yell: my connection was too crappy yesterday , I couldnt reply :cry:

she is soooo cute ! How is she doing today ? I do agree, she looks like a Mona , and Monab's neighbors probably already knows she's :crazy: so hearing her call out her name wouldn't surprise them ?! :laughing:

So it's settled then ? :rolleyes:

:laughing:

14+kitties
July 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
:yell: my connection was too crappy yesterday , I couldnt reply :cry:

she is soooo cute ! How is she doing today ? I do agree, she looks like a Mona , and Monab's neighbors probably already knows she's :crazy: so hearing her call out her name wouldn't surprise them ?! :laughing:

So it's settled then ? :rolleyes:

:laughing:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You guys crack me up!!! Ok, I cave to the pressure! Mona she is!
Chris - the next tabby I get will be Tinka. I know there are more out there!!

As for how Mona is doing today... she is great! Thanks for asking!!! Except she is in heat so I will be making a call to get her fixed asap.
You guys remember that cat I had in the spring that was returned back to the neighbour missing his "cough,cough" jewels? The more time I spend with Mona and look at her the more I realize she looks a lot like him. So there goes the thought that she was dropped off. I figure she is either a littermate of his or one of his offspring. There is no sense going to the neighbour. I will just get her fixed and then see about getting her adopted. Or I will see how she gets along with the ones in the catuary. :shrug: He obviously doesn't care if the cats are allowed to run around.

Frenchy
July 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I figure she is either a littermate of his or one of his offspring.

sigh .... it never ends :wall:

I'm glad she's doing good !! woohoo !

14+kitties
July 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Nope, and until people start realizing they need to get their animals they allow to run around fixed it never will. So you do what you can and preach s/n every chance you get. :wall::wall:

Chris21711
July 8th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Tinka, Tinka, Here Tinks, Tinks, come see mummy. :laughing:

14+kitties
July 8th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Tinka, Tinka, Here Tinks, Tinks, come see mummy. :laughing:

Chris - you aren't THAT far away from me! When I get TINKA she may be visiting YOU permanently! :p
Little Momma (one of the ferals I can't catch) has a litter somewhere behind the greenhouses. I can't find them yet. :sad: I figure in another two weeks she will bring them out of hiding.

Chris21711
July 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM
For me no problemo, its the crusty old fart that I live with :laughing:

14+kitties
July 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
For me no problemo, its the crusty old fart that I live with :laughing:

Look familiar? :D

chico2
July 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
14+,you are a kitty :angel2:of all kitty:angel2:'s,I am sooo glad Mona(he,he)ended up at your place,her absolute luckiest day:thumbs up
Hopefully she will be ok in your cat-haven:pray:

14+kitties
July 9th, 2008, 11:04 PM
14+,you are a kitty :angel2:of all kitty:angel2:'s,I am sooo glad Mona(he,he)ended up at your place,her absolute luckiest day:thumbs up
Hopefully she will be ok in your cat-haven:pray:

Thanks for the kind words chico. :)
I am not sure if she will be ok or not with my guys. She sure doesn't like Storm coming in with me when I go to see her. :rolleyes: But then she is in heat. That may have something to do with it. It will take lots of patience to get her to the point where she will feel comfortable around that many kitties. I am also not sure how they would be. I think it's pretty much a closed colony, which is good. Guess hubby just has to start building again. :rolleyes:

She goes in to see the vet on Tues. Fastest one I could get. He's a busy guy. And after that I will set up appt for getting her fixed.

mona_b
July 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
:I do agree, she looks like a Mona , and Monab's neighbors probably already knows she's :crazy: so hearing her call out her name wouldn't surprise them ?! :laughing:

Have my neighbors been calling you?:eek:;):p:D

Or the perfect camoflauge for some already questionable behaviour!

:eek: :laughing:

Sooooo,how is our girl doing?

14+kitties
July 20th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Mona - by now you have probably read my PM to you. :p
for everyone else - Minimo had her vet appt on Tues. She had very bad ear mites and tapeworms. She was treated for both of course. Was a much happier kitty a couple of days after. Today was her spay op. She was pretty dopey when I picked her up. When we got back home with her I put her in her crate to recoup and she was having some problem with her balance. I am thinking they may have given her too much anestethic. She looks bigger than she is. She only weighs 6.4 lbs. I am checking her often. If I find anything unusual she will be going in to my vet tomorrow or tonight if necessary. So far she is just sleepy. I can tell by her sutures she had a different vet than my other gals did. She has more stitches.
All in all she is a pretty good kitty. If she was feral she has had some dealings with humans. She is too tame not to have. So, once again, my thought is back to she was dumped. :evil: people!! She is safe now. :cloud9:
Oh, and Mona - thanks for asking mf!!

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Happy to hear Minimo was feeling better after the mite/worm treatment & :highfive: for the spay.

Do you think she might be intergrated to the catuary? or is she friendly enough for adoption? :goodvibes:

14+kitties
July 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Happy to hear Minimo was feeling better after the mite/worm treatment & :highfive: for the spay.

Do you think she might be intergrated to the catuary? or is she friendly enough for adoption? :goodvibes:

growler - I think with a little work she will be good to be adopted. Possibly to a family with no dogs. She really does not like Sam! She is not a cuddler, yet. She seems to stiffen a little when she is picked up but I am sure soon she will be fine. If I can't find a home for her I am hoping to integrate her into the catuary. :fingerscr
And thank you. She deserves a better life.

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I'm glad she's getting what she needs, which of course I knew you would give her. I hope she's able to become integrated into your gang. I feel bad she was dumped, which it sounds like what happened. :sad:

14+kitties
July 20th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks ancient. She had a heat before she went in to get fixed. Was a little owly with me. :rolleyes: I got the claw in the hand when I went near her tail. My fault. She has been an angel since it was over. She won't ever have to have another one.

Frenchy
July 20th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Thank you 14+ for saving yet , another kittie ! :2huggers:

chico2
July 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM
14+,so glad spay and everything is over,now Mona can concentrate on living the good life,hopefully with your other kitties:fingerscr
She's one lucky little girl:thumbs up

mona_b
July 21st, 2008, 07:46 AM
Yup,I just read it...And replied to it....;)

You have done a GREAT job:thumbs up.YOU saved her....:angel:.....Give it a few more days and I'm sure she will be back to herself...;)

Some cats are not cuddlers.Or they are when THEY want to be.My Winnie is like that.And I have had her since she was 8 weeks and she is 4 1/2.She will come to you for lovings.If you pick her up,your lucky to hold her for 3 mins...:rolleyes:..But if you are laying down,she is right there all up in your face.And bed time,you just say night night time winnie,and she is on the bed before you are.LOL

Chris21711
July 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
TINKA, TINKA, silly me Mona, Mona, She might have been dumped 14k and she was smart enough to get dumped in your lap. Thanks for taking this girl under your wing and caring for her :thumbs up

14+kitties
July 21st, 2008, 11:18 AM
TINKA, TINKA, silly me Mona, Mona, She might have been dumped 14k and she was smart enough to get dumped in your lap. Thanks for taking this girl under your wing and caring for her :thumbs up

:laughing::laughing: Actually Chris - her name is now Minimo. It seems to suit her better. :thumbs up

She is doing better today. Has been eating, using litter, not staggering. Her eyes are still a little dilated but not nearly like yesterday. On the road to recovery. :fingerscr

rainbow
July 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
Somehow I managed to miss this thread until now. :o

Glad to hear that Minimo is on the road to recovery. :thumbs up And thanks to you for saving yet another kitty. :angel:

hazelrunpack
July 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm glad to hear the surgery didn't slow her up too much. :thumbs up Minimo, eh? I like it. Has a nice friendly ring to it! :D

phoozles
July 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Sounds like she's doing well - but we'll probably need some more pictures to prove it.. :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
July 22nd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Exactly Phoozles :thumbs up

Need pic updates just to be sure ;) :D

mona_b
July 22nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
That is soooooo good to hear 14+........:highfive:

Seems like she is on the road to recovery.(does the happy dance)

Yup,we need pics..........:D

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Whats the delay in pics :confused: They were requested yesterday and now it is mid morning and no pics :yell: What else could you possibly have to do but post pics for us:D:laughing:??

14+kitties
July 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
But if you are laying down,she is right there all up in your face.And bed time,you just say night night time winnie,and she is on the bed before you are.LOL

What a great story!! You know you are loved when they do that!! And seeing as I am being asked for pics................. :rolleyes:

I can't remember seeing any pics from any of the askees lately.

14+kitties
July 22nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
Whats the delay in pics :confused: They were requested yesterday and now it is mid morning and no pics :yell: What else could you possibly have to do but post pics for us:D:laughing:??

They are right here..............

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54648

Love4himies
July 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
They are right here..............

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54648

Thank you.

bg1seven
July 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
:cat:No matter how that turns out - you are a true animal---itarian. I've taken in all sorts of critters over the years. he best was Hoty the barred owl. Taught him to fly. Wait48 hours and let the feline go right into the Humane Society. Safe - secure and a brand new family at adopon.

14+kitties
July 22nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks bg1seven. I posted this on July 6th. Since then the kitty has been named, gone to my vet for deworming and ear mites, and has been spayed. I will be keeping her and looking for a home for her along with my other ones who need homes. There are too many kittens/cats in our shelters at the moment. Her chances in one would not be good. :sad: