Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

breathing

ragtopgirl
July 6th, 2008, 11:56 AM
my cat chewbacca had dental surgery tues has been doing great but noticed last nite she is breathing a little faster then usual, anyone here have or had same thing happen?:confused:

Frenchy
July 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Is she on meds ? Either way , if she's still in the same condition , I would bring her back to the vet.

:fingerscr

14+kitties
July 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I agree. A visit to the vet is in order. :fingerscr

krdahmer
July 8th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Buddy had the same thing after his dental surgery.... I took him back (for free as any post op complication appt should be) and was given prednisone for him, it cleared up in about a week. :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
July 9th, 2008, 02:11 AM
My Duffy also recently had dental surgery but had no breathing issues

Your cat's throat/airway may have been irritated by the surgery tubes :shrug:

Please update us after the vet visit :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Any updates, ragtopgirl? :fingerscr

krdahmer
July 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM
My Duffy also recently had dental surgery but had no breathing issues

Your cat's throat/airway may have been irritated by the surgery tubes :shrug:

That is exactly what they figured was going on with Buddy, the prednisone was just in case it was asthma... but it cleared up so more than likely it was just the tube irritation.

Dr Lee
July 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
my cat chewbacca had dental surgery tues has been doing great but noticed last nite she is breathing a little faster then usual, anyone here have or had same thing happen?:confused:

Sometimes an increase in respiratory rate may be indicative of discomfort. Where there extractions? How bad was the gingivitis? Is Chewbacca on pain medications?

Just a thought. :pawprint:

ragtopgirl
July 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Sometimes an increase in respiratory rate may be indicative of discomfort. Where there extractions? How bad was the gingivitis? Is Chewbacca on pain medications?

Just a thought. :pawprint:

dr lee, yes there were 3 extractions, she is on pain meds and antibiotics as she had bone infection, also tapezole for thyroid. she seems comfortable just a little faster in breathing.

Dr Lee
July 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Since she is on pain medications, antibiotics and tapezole, then if the increased rate of respiration is persistent or certain if it worsens, then a recheck with your vet may be beneficial. I assume the regulation of the thyroid is going well right now? :pawprint:

ragtopgirl
July 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=Dr Lee;620570]Since she is on pain medications, antibiotics and tapezole, then if the increased rate of respiration is persistent or certain if it worsens, then a recheck with your vet may be beneficial. I assume the regulation of the thyroid is going well right now? :pawprint:[/QUO she just started tap today, i called vet yesterday but no return call as yet, is it ok to give her all these meds?

ragtopgirl
July 9th, 2008, 05:48 PM
she started on tapezole today, called vet about breathing but no reply as yet, is it ok to give her clindamycin plus tapezole and buprenex????:frustrated:

Dr Lee
July 9th, 2008, 08:37 PM
she started on tapezole today, called vet about breathing but no reply as yet, is it ok to give her clindamycin plus tapezole and buprenex????:frustrated:

Yes. The main concern will be vomiting. Both clindamycin and tapezole can have this clinical sign. If it occurs, then spreading them might help reduce this occurrence.

Also if tapazole is a new addition, there may still be effects of hyperthyroidism present including high blood pressure which can lead to an increase in respiratory rate. :pawprint: