Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

spay/netuer

rebel24
July 8th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Ok I finally found a org. that said they would help me free of charge to get my dogs spayed and netuered. So my little question is what would intale a routine surgery as far as meds. and stuff go. And one more question, see I have never had a male dog until now and this may sound silly but when do their testicles desscened. Because they vouchers are good for six months and he is like about 2 1/2-3 months old. And I want to make sure I can get the operation done. Thanks for any help. I am going to talk to the vet next week when I have the gas money to go there. See they are like over 30 miles away. So thanks for any help.

Lucky Rescue
July 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Puppies' testicles can descend anywere from a couple months old, up to 6 or 7 months. If they do not descend by then, they might not ever do so.

Even if the testicles do not descend, the dog still needs to be neutered.

A neuter is a very simple operation. Puppies recover very quickly and do not need meds unless an infection develops. They must be watched to make sure they dont' lick or chew at the incision site.

Do you have females too? They need to be spayed before the 1st heat which can occur up to one year old, depending on breed. Small dogs tend to come into heat sooner than big ones.

6 months is usually a good age for spay/neuter.

rebel24
July 8th, 2004, 11:41 AM
My female was almost two when I got her. So she has been in heat a few times.I know its better to get it done before the first heat but we did not have her then. Her owners were gonna drop her on the side on the road because she was coming into heat so I brought her home. Thanks for the help.

Lucky Rescue
July 8th, 2004, 12:58 PM
I suggest you get her spayed asap. Each heat she has increases her risk of getting pyometra, a life threatening infection of the uterus that can be fatal and needs very expensive emergency surgery.

buriedinfur
July 8th, 2004, 02:10 PM
If your dogs testicles do not decend (cryptorchidism) then you MUST ensure that he is neutered ASAP. Though nearly every dog should be done in my opinion (high end good quality show ect dogs being my exception) Crypt dogs have an extremely high risk of testicular cancer in the retained testicle(s). So whip them out baby ;)

rebel24
July 8th, 2004, 02:52 PM
All my dogs even the males are getting done no doubt. But the cert. I got said routine surgery and I didn't and still don't know if that would be routine if they had not descended yet. But I will find out when I take the paperwork to the vet. We have to go through alot with state to get the ok to do it for free. At least thats what the vet said we I called them.