Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Scale

DougG
July 5th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I'm looking for a reasonably priced and accurate scale that would be appropriate for pet use e.g. my three Himalayan cats. Since my cat Silky had some health problems over the past couple of months I've been weighing her weekly at the vet clinic.

Silky's doing great now, and I'd like to keep weighing her weekly at home and also be able to weigh the other two cats whenever I want. I bought a digital bathroom scale thinking it would work, but it couldn't register anything under about 15 pounds. So I returned it.

Any recommendations or pointers? Thanks!

mona_b
July 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM
What about a baby scale?:shrug:

14+kitties
July 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Yep, that's what I've heard too. L4H uses a baby scale for her fosters. I am on the lookout for one too. Good luck. :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
July 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Phoozles mentions here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=580350&postcount=20 that her mum bought her a baby scale @ Costco for around $60, she seems quite happy with it. Perhaps you could pm her to see which brand she has :)

DougG
July 6th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks for responding!

Aah, I'd never thought of a baby scale. I'm not a Costco member but a friend of mine is, and has been urging me to go. I think I'll finally take him up on it. I'm not sure when we'll go but I'll post again here when / if there's news...

:cool:

ancientgirl
July 6th, 2008, 07:22 AM
You can try searching online too. Amazon has some decent prices or you can always try ebay.

SnowDancer
July 6th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Plan B - and this is what I do - I get on the scale and weigh myself - and then I pick up my dog and way the 2 of us again. So far we have been accurate to about 1 lb. The bad news is that I have to weigh myself first - the good news is that my Eskie is not wearing his harness etc. as when being weighed at the vet's. By using this approach, the scale will register the higher weight.

Purpledomino
July 6th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Plan B - and this is what I do - I get on the scale and weigh myself - and then I pick up my dog and way the 2 of us again. So far we have been accurate to about 1 lb. The bad news is that I have to weigh myself first - the good news is that my Eskie is not wearing his harness etc. as when being weighed at the vet's. By using this approach, the scale will register the higher weight.

Yup, this is how I weigh my little dogs. Better yet....get your kid to hold the dog, that way you won't have to see your own weight! :D

Love4himies
July 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM

That's what I do with my adult cats, the hard part is looking at what I weigh :eek::yuck:

SnowDancer
July 7th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Yep, looking at my own weight is the problem - so sometimes I make my husband get on with my pup. My husband, who is about to turn 60 weighs the same as he did at 25 - 6 feet - 170 lbs. And eats like a horse. Not fair. Our vet has a baby scale, but I had seen her get on a big scale holding a dog a few times - after weighing herself first. Maybe this is now why they have a big scale just for the dogs! But personally, I think weighing yourself first and then hold pet with you might be a bit more accurate because the pets tend to get edgy when you try and get them to stand still on the scale. When we had our 10 lb. Dachshunds they could be weighed in the "baby" scale, but not a chance in "h" that was going to happen - which is why she weighed them with her - after all, they weren't babies they were super dogs (and they were)! Now my 22 lb. Eskimo he is a baby.

mona_b
July 7th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Not that easy when you have a 105lb dog and a bad back...:sad:;)

Love4himies
July 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Not that easy when you have a 105lb dog and a bad back...:sad:;)

:laughing::laughing: you would need more than a baby scale for that baby:eek:

mona_b
July 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM
:laughing::laughing: you would need more than a baby scale for that baby:eek:

:laughing::laughing:.True

phoozles
July 7th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Just saw this now..

Yep, my baby scale was about $60 - it's not the best (those are closer to $150), but it registers their weight pretty well - you just need to make sure you can get them to sit, and sit still, for at least 5 seconds (easier said than done sometimes :laughing:). You can check it out online on Costco's site if you are interested.