Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Czarna's one month anniversary!

ancientgirl
July 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM
So today is a month since I brought Czarina indoors. I'll admit, I had hoped to have her out with the rest of the gang by now, but at least I've seen some progress in the time she's been inside.

She's playing with fuzzy squirrels, she's using the litter box well and she's not foaming at the mouth when she sees the other cats.

Twice now Oksana has gotten into the kitchen and walked past her warily. Much hissing on Czarina's part, but thankfully nothing else. Day by day she's spending a little more time outside her little pyramid.

I hope when the time comes that I am able to let her out into the rest of the place, Vlad doesn't blow it by wanting to play with her in his "special" way. Oksana just hisses at him, Czarina might tear his ear off. He's pretty smart though. Once he hears growling he backs off.

So here I am, counting the days, weeks and now months seeing little bits of progress here and there.

It's hard emotionally and hard financially. I've never dealt with a semi-feral stray. There are days when I wish I'd never seen her. The days I sit in there with her and she climbs on my lap and purrs, I'm ashamed I ever wished I'd never seen her.

And to think, I only ever really planned on having one cat.http://www3.b92.net/ipb_uploads/av-1512.gifhttp://www.comicguide.net/images/smilies/cat3.gifhttp://2ni2.com/emoticon/animal/gatos.gif

14+kitties
July 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
It's hard emotionally and hard financially. I've never dealt with a semi-feral stray. There are days when I wish I'd never seen her. The days I sit in there with her and she climbs on my lap and purrs, I'm ashamed I ever wished I'd never seen her.

Don't feel bad for feeling guilty. I can empathize with the financial part. I deal with that daily. Stop kicking yourself. It's normal. As for the emotional part - yeah, they do that to you. You wonder if you are doing the right thing, if you could do more. You are doing what you can. It's more than most would do. :grouphug:
Semi feral and feral cats really aren't that much different than other kitties. They just need tons more love. Czarina knows you love her. She knows you are trying to help her. One day when all your kitties are in the same room peacefully you will look back on this and wonder what all the fuss was about. That day will come. I promise you. :thumbs up

Oh cr@p! I forgot! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!

ancientgirl
July 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
One day when all your kitties are in the same room peacefully you will look back on this and wonder what all the fuss was about. That day will come. I promise you. :thumbs up

Oh cr@p! I forgot! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!

I swear the day that happens, I think I'll throw a party! Kitty party!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/SesshoumaruLvr/Emoticons/rightcele.gif

Chris21711
July 5th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Don't kick yourself AG you did the greatest thing by taking Czarina in, it was the right thing to do. My two guys have been together for nearly 6 years and Herbie still hisses at Kale and they really have nothing to do with each other. The odd time you might see Kale give Herbie a lick or two and it's always greeted with a hiss and the odd swat. Things will be good
:thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you Chris. This forum and all of the people on it bring me such a great amount of comfort and hope. Whenever I feel doubtful or like nothing is getting better I come here and read stories about how others have done the same thing with success. Every little bit of progress I make is a step closer to a happy 5 kitty home.

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2008, 09:21 PM
happy anniversary, czarina!

I know it's a tough time, ancientgirl...feels like there's no progress...but it will happen :thumbs up Look at Jim Hall's DU...she makes more progress each month, but it's been very slow for her, as well.

Oh, and we really only ever planned on 2 dogs... :o ...so I hear ya! :grouphug:

Patience, girl, patience... :D

ancientgirl
July 6th, 2008, 06:12 AM
This morning she was swatting at my feet, which I've come to realize it's a play thing with her. She likes to swat at my pajamas.

I keep telling myself she's been outside for a few years, and in her development years to boot. My gang all came to me as kittens so I've had nothing to base her behavior on other than what I read here. I'm so very thankful to have this site and you guys to help guide me.

krdahmer
July 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Happy Home-aversary Czarina!!!!

I think you guys are both doing awesome... her for trusting you more and more and you for keepin it together. It can be really hard to be patient I know... I have zero patience.... but with Czarina it is so gonna be worth all the fretting when she's finally out.

:goodvibes: :grouphug:

Love4himies
July 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Happy one month Rescueday, Czarina.

Cats can read each other much better than we can so when Vlad runs up to Czarina and wants to play, she will know it is play and not aggression, the question will be whether she is in the mood to play:D

It will take time with Czarina you have years of "unsocialization" to turn around, I have all the confidence you will do just fine.

Frenchy
July 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I swear the day that happens, I think I'll throw a party! Kitty party!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/SesshoumaruLvr/Emoticons/rightcele.gif

With lots of cat nip http://bestsmileys.com/cats2/9.gif

:laughing:

the day will come when she'll be ready to accept all her brothers and sisters :thumbs up happy one month anniversary !

ancientgirl
July 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys for the well wishes. It's hard to believe it's been a month. It feels longer! :laughing:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that by the end of this month she might be ready for me to bring her out into the living room for short periods. If not then I'll just have to keep waiting.

This morning I saw another of the strays walking in the pool area. He looks just like Maks. My heart just broke, but I told myself I can't bring another one inside. My finances are strained, and I'd be pushing the space I've got. Not to mention he's not as socialized as Czarina. :sad: I hate seeing the ones I can't help. I wish I lived in a house. At least then I could do more.

Jim Hall
July 7th, 2008, 08:33 AM
happy aneversery czarina it sounds like she is doing great
its something when a wild wary kitty decides your all right and gives you a purrr still gives me a thrill when du does that

phoozles
July 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Congrats on the one month! :highfive:
I know what you mean about it feeling longer - I brought in Ethel and her babies around the same time you brought in Czarina, and it does feel like it's been at least 2 months instead! I am also very impatient, but I'm learning that I have to be patient instead. You and Czarina are doing great!

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Oh jeez, I thought it was longer for you too. I'm learning that patience really is one of the most important things with these little ones. At least I didn't have to worry about Czarina and kittens too. You really had patience! And a great heart of course :)

rainbow
July 7th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Belated One Month Anniversary Czarina !!!

Sorry I'm late. :o

WOO HOO.....it sounds like she is slowly coming out of her shell. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks Rainbow.

I'm so happy to see that she's even interested in wanting to see more of her surroundings. Even though she seemed unsure and she hissed and swatted at Maks, at least she was curious.

I know none of the others will make any kind of aggressive move towards her. It's all up to her to allow them to get close to her and be friendly.

Vlad, I think, is very curious about meeting her more closely. He's the one who sits outside the screen the most and he's the only one who has attempted to touch her. My sweet Vlad. :cloud9: She hisses and swats at him and he keeps going back to try and be friends.