Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chihuahua (Short Coat) - Need Help

gwako
July 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Hey Guys,

I am brand new to this site. My girlfiriend an I have decided on getting a Chihuahua. can you guys help me in finding a reputale breeder. I am located in toronto, Ontario. Also would you guys recomend a male or a female?

Any Input would be appreciated.

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Hello! Here is the Chihuahua Rescue of Canada website. I would start with them. They are based out of Ottawa, however, they have contacts all over Canada, like most Rescues.

http://www.ccrt.net/

Heather

Lucky Rescue
July 8th, 2004, 12:13 PM
HI and welcome to the board!:)

Have you done research on this breed? Many Chis are dumped because they can be very hard to housetrain.

If you do decide to go to a breeder, make sure it's one who has health tested her breeding dogs against all genetic defects known to the breed.

If the breeder uses any words like "rare", "unusual", or "teacup" - keep looking!

Never buy a dog at a petstore, or from a backyard breeder who does not health test or show.

Good luck! My sister in law got an adorable Chi from a rescue.:)

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 12:16 PM
My sister-in-law has a long-haired one. The sweetest thing on earth! She is completely litter trained and just a joy!

Heather

Lucky Rescue
July 8th, 2004, 12:25 PM
OH good point about the litter training, GM!

If you want to train your Chi to use a litterbox, get a female dog. (no leg lifting!) :)

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 12:39 PM
OH good point about the litter training, GM!

If you want to train your Chi to use a litterbox, get a female dog. (no leg lifting!) :)

Even better point! LOL
I wouldn't have thought of that. Me, I am a female animal lover. There is just something about rubbing that nice flat belly!

Heather

gwako
July 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Is their any specific breeders you guys would recommend.

Lucky Rescue
July 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
You can go here to get a list of breeders and information about Chis. I have no idea if they are good or not.

Chihuahua (http://www.dogs-in-canada.com/breeds/chihuahua_(short_coat).html)

I would stay away from this one:

Chin-Cha Perm Reg'd, Gary Rayburn. Home raised with love. Puppies from champion stock usually available or expected. Champion stud service. 5 Robert St, Barrie, ON L4N 3H2. (705-737-4940).

If they have so many dogs that puppies are usually available or expected, they sound like a puppy mill!

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Here is another good site.

http://www.canadogs.com/BreedChihuahuaSht.htm

If I were you, I would contact the Chihuahua Club of Canada and ask for a list of breeders.

Heather

LavenderRott
July 8th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Please do not base your decision on a web site! Don't buy from someone who has to ship a dog to you. That just screams puppy mill.

Make sure you do all your research before you go looking for a pup. What genetic problems to chi's have? How are those problems tested for and how do you know what the result are?

For example: rottweilers are prone to hip dysplasia, elbow problems and a heart condition known as SAS. All three of these issues can be tested for - x-rays for the first two and a cardiologist for the third. Vets results are sent to OFA (in the States) and rechecked and certified.

Shae
July 8th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I personally choose to not purchase from breeders while the pet population is so out of control. Some wonderful special animals(prebreds and X breeds) are so desperate for families. I tell clients that at the animal hosp often, encouraging to look at the shelters and rescues. If, you are determined that you want a purebred chihuahua, yes, as someone mentioned please look at the chihuahua rescue. Way too many on death row right now. So, yes, I'd suggest checking out some rescue orgs. Are you in Canada? I can check at the clinic for chihuahua rescues for you if you would like.(p.s.....steer clear of pet shops too and be wary, a lot of puppy millers out there claiming to be reputable breeders)
Have a super day :)

gwako
July 9th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Have you guys ever heard of ELLIOTTHAUS www.tinypals.com

and I was wondering if they were reputable.

Thanks

LavenderRott
July 9th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Looks like your typical puppy mill to me. Why, why, why would you pick a pet that you will probably have for 15 years or more from a website!?!

My mom bought a chihuahua puppy from a pet store. It has mange and needs to be dipped every other week to the tune of $50.00. Because of the type of mange that it is, it may need to be dipped for it's entire life.

Lucky Rescue
July 9th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Here is a guide to tell you the difference between a responsible breeder, and a "backyard breeder". A responsible breeder breeds ONLY for the betterment of the breeder, or when the breeder needs another dog for comformation showing, performance or to carry on a good line.

A backyard breeder breeds to CREATE PETS to MAKE MONEY ONLY. The term "backyard" doesn't really mean the dogs are in the backyard. They can be anywhere. Each time someone buys from a person like this, or from a pet store, they are encouraging and rewarding these people for pumping out more puppies while thousands of dogs die in shelters.

However, some breeds of dogs are not commonly found in rescues and shelters and a breeder may be the only way to go. As laura05 says, go to dog shows or contact the CKC to find good breeders who show their dogs, health test, etc. Also, a GOOD breeder will NOT get angry and defensive if you ask about health testing, etc. They will be proud to tell you all about it!

Responsible VS. Backyard Breeders (http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html)

mastifflover
July 9th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Do the rescue thing. My last three dogs have been rescues and were the best dogs. They love you so much and will do anything to please you. You also realize that you are looking at a breed that is not the easiest to train, and must be socialized all the time so you don't end with a dog who is aggressive. I have seen more aggressive chi's than pit bulls but because of there size no one bothers to mention this point.

Spoiled
July 9th, 2004, 12:01 PM
If you want to train your Chi to use a litterbox, get a female dog. (no leg lifting!)

Some female dogs lift their legs! My bf has one who does. :)

Lucky Rescue
July 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Some female dogs lift their legs!

Yeah, I know! :p Some very dominant bitches will leg lift and some males never do.

But the odds of getting a female who does not lift a leg are greater than they are of getting a male who does not.

b1dqee55
August 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I have three freinds in my buildings with tiny male breeds and they all trained them if they cant get out because of cold or bad weather to use what is now on the market a small hydrent that is placed in a corner and a plastic guard is placed around that area ( they use plexiglass that you get at the hardware store and they just wipe them downwith a disinfectent there is a rewashable pad you can get a some pet shops that also work well
Heather Norton