Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sick cat

sandy muir
July 5th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hi, I took my cat to the vet and the vet gave me some meds for him but I gave him his meds and he immediately threw it up. So, due to his weight loss and what little he eats I'm wondering how long it takes for him to digest his food before I try the meds again. Don't want him to lose what little he eats. Thanks, Sandy:cat:

badger
July 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM
What's the name of the medication? Does it have to be administered after eating?
How quickly does he vomit afterwards?
You're right, the eating is hugely important.

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Don't know about cats, but in dogs, food starts passing from the stomach by about 2 hours. We've had food come up 10 hours later, though, so it really isn't an exact science.

Did your vet have any suggestions as to the best timing?

sandy muir
July 5th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Hi Badger, The medication is an antibiotic and he is suppose to take it with his food but as I mentioned , he just threw it all up yesterday which was his first day on the meds but today I waited a hour after he ate and he was ok. It's just that he eats only a teaspoon of soft food and he used to be such a good eater. He is eighteen and I'm afraid there is not much to be done. Bad teeth and lump in throat. Thanks, Sandy:cat:

badger
July 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Oh dear. What did the vet say?
I assume you are tempting him with as many delicacies as you can come up with. Have you tried boiled chicken?
You do have to watch for dehydration as well. If he takes a fancy to dry food, addd lots of water.
:fingerscr that the meds give him some relief.