Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pooping indoors for no reason

fishystuff00
July 4th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Hello Everybody!

I have a 6(ish) year old dachy/lab. Within the last few months, he's decided to start pooing indoors, and every once in a while I've noticed urine under the blankets, too. For some reason, when he urinates, it's only under the blankets where he sleeps. Very frusterating to crawl into bed and there be a puddle!

As far as the poo goes. We'll let him go outside, he'll pee, and then come inside and poo right in front of us. I've notice that if I take him out, after he pees, if I tell him to go potty again, sometimes he will poo. Othertimes he won't, and will go indoors.

Before the last few months, his behavior in these regards was quite normal. I can't think of any changes, other than a new baby in the house. Some in the house aren't quite as understanding as I am, and are going to start to get frusterated pretty quickly if I don't get these problems figured out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Chris

BusterBoo
July 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
sounds like your little guy is bothered by some change and if the only thing that has changed is your having a baby (CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!), then that could do it!

have you had your pup vet checked? If you can rule out all medical problems, then you might have to look into other reasons why he is having accidents. Don't know, but could be a jealousy issue??? :shrug:

fishystuff00
July 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hey,

Yeah, he's been to the vet a few times. Most recent was last week, I noticed his back was starting to go out again... Wanted to catch it before he ended up paralized again. In the last 3 months he's had some very extensive tests done (he also ate a tampon, which required geriatric bloodwork, x-rays and a full physical exam).

The baby has been around for 6 months now, these problems started about 2 months ago. I'm wondering if it's the baby too, however he's really not getting any less attention than before, and enjoys playing with the baby.

-Chris

Longblades
July 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Nerve damage in his back could be the culprit. Happened to my old Lab girl in her later years and is particulary common in the long backed breeds like Dachies and Bassets. Did the Vet rule that out when you were there last week? He doesn't have to be completely paralysed, my girl wasn't, before you can notice this.

fishystuff00
July 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hi,

As far as I know nerve damage was ruled out, yes. The vet checked his reflexes, which were completely normal.

This is more of a behavioral thing, I'm thinking. It seems as if he is choosing to go in the house, and this all happened before his back went out again.:shrug:

badger
July 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Have you thought of finding a behaviourist to help you? Your vet may know one. If a good behaviourist could find his trigger, or maybe the source of his anxiety, it would be worth the money.
If you can, just try giving him more time and exercise, at least one good walk a day and more frequent bathroom breaks, see what happens.
Has he been tested for parasites? All you'd need to do is bring in a stool sample, no need to schlepp the dog.

fishystuff00
July 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
No, Leo hasn't been tested for parasites. It's been a while since his last deworm, and I have seen fleas on him, so it's a possibility. Haven't seen any in his feces, but I know that this doesn't mean he doesn't have them.

I'll check into a behaviorist, however around here I'm not sure how much luck I'll have. We're in a tiny town.

Thanks!

derektrainwreck
July 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM
sometimes when i leave my pup home alone, he pees on my stuff because he is mad that i left him alone.