-->

Iams Protest

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 09:39 AM
This was in our local newspaper today:

Pet food manufacturer denies cruelty to animals accusations

BONNIE MALOTT
PETER LEE, RECORD STAFF

Members of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (left to right) David Handy, Janet Tapon, Mary Potter and Allison Ezell were protesting yesterday in front of the Zehrs store on Ottawa Street at Strasburg Road in Kitchener. They were protesting the treatment of dogs and cats by the cat and dog food company Iams of Dayton, Ohio.

KITCHENER (Jul 8, 2004)

Shelly Metcalf had just bought a giant bag of Iams pet food for her cats from a local pet store in Kitchener. So when she saw protesters sitting in cages, clutching signs that accused the manufacturer of animal cruelty, she had to find out what was going on.

Skimming over a pamphlet with disturbing pictures of animals cowering at a research lab, Metcalf looked disgusted.

"Oh, my gosh!" she said. " I had no idea."

The protest, held at a busy intersection at Ottawa Street and Strasburg Road yesterday, is part of a campaign to get pet owners to boycott the company.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals say images captured on secret videotape provide details of what goes on behind the scenes at an Iams lab.

Allison Evelle, a member of the animal rights group, travelled from Indiana for the protest. She said the video shows shocking behaviour for a company that claims to be a leader in the pet care industry.

"We are holding them up to that standard," she said.

The group accuses Iams of confining animals to barren cages for extended periods without any human interaction, severing the animals' vocal cords to prohibit them from barking and subjecting them to painful procedures. Biopsies, for instance, left animals with gaping holes in their legs, the group said.

Kurt Iverson, a spokesman for Iams in Dayton, Ohio, said that the group is being "extremely misleading."

He said Iams doesn't do anything to animals in its labs that humans wouldn't readily volunteer to do themselves.

"What they don't tell you is that the person taking the videotape was supposed to be taking care of the animals," he said. "In this case, that didn't happen."

Iverson said the individual posed as an animal lover and was given the responsibility by Iams of providing socialization and enrichment for the animals, something she failed to do.

He said the animals used in the research are not treated poorly and that Iams specifically employs a panel of experts to get advice on the welfare of the animals. The animals get a minimum of 30 minutes a day of interaction.

"When they're done with the studies, they are adopted into normal homes, " Iverson said. "We treat them like they were our own pets."

Iverson admitted dogs were given biopsies to measure the way food was being metabolized, but he said the pictures shown by the animal-rights group exaggerate the size of the wounds.

"Pictures can sometimes fool you," he said, adding that the specimens taken were the size of a pencil eraser.

Iverson said the fact the area around the biopsies had to be shaved and applied with red iodine made the wounds seem much worse.

"To a layman, it may not look so good, but it's a veterinary procedure."

LavenderRott
July 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM
While I would never buy Iams, not just because they test their foods on animals but because it is not a good quality food, I am not sure about a PETA video.

PETA is a pretty extreme group that will go a long way to prove their point. I am sure that there are photography tricks that can make the smallest scratch look like a gapping, mortal wound. Heck, look at what Hollywood pumps out.

I do hope that this IAMS spokesperson doesn't have a family pet. I spend considerably more then "a minimum of 30 minutes a day" with my animals.

JKC27
July 8th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Is IAMS a poor quality food? I have heard otherwise. I know it give my cat some nasty gas mind you. My vet had no problem with my cat getting Iams as food.

Sunkist/Winnie
July 8th, 2004, 12:59 PM
I'm curious about what type of cat food you recommend. My vet was always happy with the fact that I fed my two cats Iams. She said it was much better than the grocery store brands. She never made any attempt to have me switch brands.

I'd welcome any suggestions as I want to make sure my furballs stay healthy!

heidiho
July 8th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Solid gold,nutro,royal canin..............

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Heidi is correct. All those companys make a very good cat food, as well as dog food. I would not feed Iams to my Cat or Dog.

Heather

Sunkist/Winnie
July 8th, 2004, 01:12 PM
What makes you say it's not a good quality food? What does make a good quality food? I'd just like to know what to look for when I go out and look for a substitute food for them in case I can't find the brands Heidi mentioned.

JKC27
July 8th, 2004, 01:21 PM
This thread caught my eye in particular because as I was driving home a week or so ago, someone had a sign on their front lawn about 10 blocks from my house that said something like Iams kills cats and dogs. I was like *OK.....what the?* As I said, my vet has no problem with me feeding my cat Iams.

cmt489
July 8th, 2004, 01:25 PM
FYI - Iams used to be a better food but it was bought out and, you will note, now is a grocery store food! The ingredients are not good and they conduct animal testing. No matter if the PETA video is misleading or not, the fact that they cage animals and do biopsy testing :( is enough for me to look to a pet food manufacturer that does not participate in these kinds of studies.

Commercial foods I feed:

Petcurean Go! Natural
Wellness
Innova
Royal Canin
Nutro

There are other good foods outs there and multiple threads on this topic throughout this board. :)

Michelle

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 01:34 PM
This thread caught my eye in particular because as I was driving home a week or so ago, someone had a sign on their front lawn about 10 blocks from my house that said something like Iams kills cats and dogs. I was like *OK.....what the?* As I said, my vet has no problem with me feeding my cat Iams.

I follow my vets advice almost to a T. However, I myself have to be responsible to do the research etc., if I think there is something better out there for my animals. CMT849 has a great list of dog foods, from my research. You don't want any food with a bunch of fillers and crap in it.

GO!Natural is manufactured in Canada and if you read the list of ingredients, they are great!

Heather

Sunkist/Winnie
July 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go check out what's at the pet store tonight.

I've attached two pictures of my kids, this one is Sunkist. I'll post one of Winnie in a minute.

cmt489
July 8th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I follow my vets advice almost to a T. However, I myself have to be responsible to do the research etc., if I think there is something better out there for my animals. CMT849 has a great list of dog foods, from my research. You don't want any food with a bunch of fillers and crap in it.

GO!Natural is manufactured in Canada and if you read the list of ingredients, they are great!

Heather

Go! also makes a cat food that Nadia goes absolutely silly over! Like the dog food it is all natural and homeopathic. Cost a little more but sooooo worth it! Plus, I love supporting Canadian companies.

Oliver's breeder got me onto Go! and recommends feeding it in conjunction with a raw/cooked homemade diet. Being a good servant, this is what I do for Oliver.

My parents also just changed to Go! for their Akitas and found that their male, who was always skinny and picky just loves it (they switched from Nutro because it has glucosamine for their female who is 10)! They all look amazing on the Go!

Michelle

mastifflover
July 8th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I was horrified when I saw that video by PETA. I wrote a scathing letter to Iams to which they responded immeditatley. Then they called me, and vehemently deny the allegations by PETA and said that if I liked they would be more than happy to let me come and visit there research facility. I don't feed my dog Iams since I don't feel it is very high quality, but in the same breath it saved a Neapolitan Mastiff that I rescued that had been starved almost to death and was literally living off his organs since he had no body fat. The rep from Iams was at the pet store when I went to get food for him and when she saw him she almost broke down and cried she then gave me two 40 pound bags of Iam large breed puppy food for nothing and asked me if I would mind updating her on his progress. This food actually worked very well for him and gained 18 pounds the first 2.5 weeks. This dog would fall over if you knocked him by accident. So I really won't be bashing Iams and I do believe that PETA is a bit extreme although I do like what they stand for. Also the rep from Iams said that that video has been around for a while and had been edited to look a lot worse. She said she has been to the facility in the states and saw nothing like that there and would not work for them if she felt any of these things were going on.

Sunkist/Winnie
July 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
This has a picture of Winnie and Sunkist- I can't find one that just has her that is wuithin the size constraints for posted pictures.

While they look all calm and cute they were chasing each other around the house within seconds of this picture being taken!

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I don't always believe everything I read. There are always competitors out there that try to flame others etc. Most of them have sh** disturbers working for them to bad-mouth the competitor. With Iams, I just don't like their food, period. Its full of crap and just is not something I want to feed my animals. I have heard that Iams is linked to cancer in Goldens. Why? I don't know, but I don't want to find out either!

I am very happy with Nutro for my 3 girls, but if I wanted to switch, it would be to Go!Natural. I also feed cooked human food to them regularly to supplement their dry, old kibble.

Heather

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Excellent Pictures!!! Love them!!

Heather

MBRA518
July 8th, 2004, 02:02 PM
What makes you say it's not a good quality food? What does make a good quality food? I'd just like to know what to look for when I go out and look for a substitute food for them in case I can't find the brands Heidi mentioned.

The biggest problem with Iams is corn.... corn is a filler and is often the first (AKA highest percentage) ingredient on the list on the side of the package of department and grocery store brands of pet food. The best way to look for a higher quality food is to learn to read the ingred list - the ingredients are listed according to amount with the highest percentage ingredient first - what you want to see is meat as the first ingredient and corn no higher than third. - that's a pretty safe guideline.

LavenderRott
July 8th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Most vets have a semester of nutrition training. Dogs and cats can't digest corn very well, brewer's rice is garbage. Meat by-products are often remains of animals that can't be sold as human grade food, up to and including euthanized animals that have been sold to rendering companies. (Yes, dogs and cats from the local shelter.) Chicken by produts often include feet, beaks and feathers. Beef by-products are the parts that no one wants either.

While I have done a lot of research before deciding on a raw diet for my pets, Iams, Eukanuba and Science Diet are only 3 of the different foods I would NEVER feed in my house.

Oh, if your vet sells it, he is making a profit on it, so of course it makes a good meal for your pet.

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 02:31 PM
While I have done a lot of research before deciding on a raw diet for my pets, Iams, Eukanuba and Science Diet are only 3 of the different foods I would NEVER feed in my house.

Funny you should say this! I feel the exact same way. These 3 foods I would NEVER feed my animals, ever! People say "oh, my vets says Science Diet is the best food out there" I think the name alone gets people!

Heather

LavenderRott
July 8th, 2004, 02:34 PM
My mom just told me last night that she is going to start feeding Iams or Science Diet because she thinks the Solid Gold is too expensive! I told her that if she wanted to save money that way, she might as well just buy a bag of Ole' Roy and have at it.

My mom makes me soooooo mad!

JKC27
July 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM
So is it the filler (corn?) in my IAMS kitten food that give my kitty that nasty farts that he gets? Sounds funny, and is, but he stinks! ;)

I plan on finishing this bag of Iams I have, and then maybe make a switch to something better. How is the cost comparison to an Iams type food, versus the Go!Natural, etc?

Goldenmom
July 8th, 2004, 02:40 PM
My mom just told me last night that she is going to start feeding Iams or Science Diet because she thinks the Solid Gold is too expensive! I told her that if she wanted to save money that way, she might as well just buy a bag of Ole' Roy and have at it.

My mom makes me soooooo mad!

Can you educate her?

THere is a happy inbetween for Solid Gold and Iams. Nutro is one of them

mastifflover
July 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Don't look at the basic cost difference you will see a bigger difference in the cost of vet bills and what you don't spend on preventable illness. It is more of a long term savings in using high quality food.

LavenderRott
July 8th, 2004, 02:50 PM
You know, GM, I used to think that my mom was the smartest woman in the world when it came to dogs and their care and training. It seems like the older she gets the more I want to strangle her. Either she has some kind of strange Alzheimers that only makes her forget her dog knowledge or she is doing a lot of stupid things to tick me off.

At Christmas time she bought a puppy from a pet store in the mall. Knowing how I rant, rave, write, scream and everything else I can do to shut down puppy mills - she goes and buys a puppy mill pup. But she "had to save it" she tells me. I asked her if she wanted to see what type of environment it's parents were kept in, she told me she didn't want to know about any of the bad stuff.

Then she procedes to tell me that she AGREES with the BSL in her town!! WTF! Like I don't spend enough time trying to educate stupid people about why it won't work, now I have to try to explain it to her. Oh, wait, she doesn't want to hear the bad stuff.

Now this dog food thing.

I swear she is going to drive me CRAZY!!!!!!!

Shae
July 8th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I am of course, totally and completely against IAMS. I volunteer for many animal AR/welfare groups. Basically just peacefully letting public know what is really going on. I dont think Peta's video is staged at all. This type of thing, regrettably, happens all the time. Not just our pet food, but makeup,hair products,etc. I hardly think this type of animal testing is necessary or acceptable.
Here is something I posted at the Animal Right Cafe discussion forum.

IAMS...Lying

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell Iams That You’re Not Buying!

In typical misleading fashion, Iams is trying to fool people into believing that it is no longer conducting laboratory tests on dogs and cats. This is not true!

Iams continues to keep dogs and cats confined to cages in order to conduct cruel tests on them. The animals suffering in Iams’ laboratories spend days, months, and even years living in fear, pain, isolation, and loneliness—all so that Iams can test dog and cat food.

What makes this abuse even more outrageous is that these tests are not necessary and are not required by any law or regulation.

Please e-mail Iams President Jeffrey Ansell at Ansell.jp@pg.com and tell him that you’re not buying Iams’ distortions and half-truths. Iams must immediately end all laboratory tests on animals.

Almost 40 companion-animal food companies rely on tests conducted in homes or veterinary clinics using dogs and cats who have been volunteered by their guardians, as well as other humane methods of testing their products, and Iams needs to do the same.

Please be sure to forward this e-mail message to your friends and family.

For more information about Iams’ cruel tests on dogs and cats, visit IamsCruelty.com.

Thank you for all you do for animals!

Shae
July 8th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Another article I posted at A R C....

Animal Shelters Give Iams the Boot
Animal shelters and sanctuaries from across North America are joining PETA’s boycott of Iams products because Iams confines animals to cages to conduct cruel laboratory tests on them.

While the very wealthy national group the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is taking money from and supporting Iams, making it possible for the company to continue laboratory tests on animals, local shelters and SPCAs that often operate on a shoestring budget are taking a stand against Iams’ cruelty.

These shelters understand that the dogs and cats in Iams’ studies are the same as the animals they adopt out to loving families every day. They also know that it is wrong for an organization whose mission is to prevent animal abuse to take money from or support a company that abuses animals.

Many shelters have written letters to Iams CEO Jeffrey Ansell about Iams’ cruelty, and several have gone so far as to return Iams “starter kits” (company-sponsored kits that shelters hand out to new animal guardians that contain free food, coupons, and care tips) back to the company in protest of Iams’ abuse of dogs and cats.

The boycotting shelters are located in every corner of North America and represent both urban and rural areas. Below is a list of shelters that have joined the campaign (as of May 23, 2004):

1. Progressive Animal Welfare Society (Lynnwood, Washington)
2. Assisi Animal Foundation (Chicago, Illinois)
3. Marin Humane Society (Novato, California)
4. St. Tammany Humane Society (Covington, Louisiana)
5. Humane Society of Dorchester County (Cambridge, Maryland)
6. Felines, Inc. (Chicago, Illinois)
7. Lake Shore Animal Shelter (Chicago, Illinois)
8. Clayton County Humane Society (Jonesboro, Georgia)
9. Humane Society of Southern Arizona (Tucson, Arizona)
10. Milo Foundation (Willits, California)
11. Chenango County SPCA (Norwich, New York)
12. Animal Welfare Society (West Kennebunk, Maine)
13. Worcester County Humane Society (Ocean City, Maryland)
14. North County Humane Society (Atascadero, California)
15. Sequoia Humane Society (Eureka, California)
16. Home At Last Animal Sanctuary (Salvisa, Kentucky)
17. Hearts United for Animals (Auburn, Nebraska)
18. Hillside SPCA (Valley View, Pennsylvania)
19. Orphans of the Storm (Riverwoods, Illinois)
20. Citizens for Humane Action (Westerville, Ohio)
21. The Ark (Cherryfield, Maine)
22. Jethro’s Place Animal Sanctuary (Richmond, Michigan)
23. Humane Society of Morgan County (Berkeley Springs, West Virginia)
24. Animal Abuse Prevention Agency, Inc. (Huntington Beach, California)
25. Petersburg-Colonial Heights SPCA (Petersburg, Virginia)
26. Asians for Humans, Animals & Nature (San Francisco, California)
27. Stevens-Swan Humane Society of Oneida County (Utica, New York)
28. Heart and Soul Animal Sanctuary (Santa Fe, New Mexico)
29. Palo Alto Humane Society (Palo Alto, California)
30. Last Post Animal Sanctuary (Falls Village, Connecticut)
31. Animal Ark (Hastings, Minnesota)
32. Adirondack Save a Stray (Corinth, New York)
33. Queens SPCA – Liverpool (Nova Scotia, Canada)
If you work or volunteer at a shelter and would like more information about how to get involved in our campaign, please contact us.

chico2
July 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM
My vet here in Oakville had just come from an Iams promotional conference and was very interested,when I mentioned the Peta video(which I personally could not watch!),she already would not recommend Iams for my cats and I know she forwarded the video to other vets.Hopefully all these protests will do some good for those unfortunate tortured animals.
As for cat-food,sometimes what I like my cats to eat,they don't always agree with even if it is good for them,finicky little buggars :D
I have 3 cats and one would like Nutro Healthy Choice,the other two something else.
Now,all of them like "Chicken-soup-for petlovers soul" and I've also started buying Wellness and sometimes Royal Canin.They also get a Tbsp of canned food each,morning and night.If I were a cat,I would not want to live on dry food only.

chico2
July 8th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Sunkist/Winnie,Your kittens are simply beautiful,here are my three..

glasslass
July 8th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Beautiful kitties! Is the white one deaf? I've always heard white ones with blue & brown eyes are usually born deaf. Don't know if it's true?

melanie
July 8th, 2004, 05:41 PM
it does not matter if the video was staged or not. no animal should be subject to any form of testing at all and these mongrels have no right to kidnap these animals and torture them (even if it just for aromatherapy products, it is still torture).
Lavender rott, i so know what you are saying. i tell mum she is haveing heaps of senior moments (my way of saying going crazy). nothing worse than working so hard for the environment or animals and have our own families do the wrong thing, like my mothers refusal to recycle, it totally kills me, she did it all my life but has now stopped, ahhhh. oh not to mention the pup she just brought of a BYB, forget the ugly ones at the rescue, get a cutie BYB one instead, it hurts my mind. if i am like that one day, i will take myself up the back padock and shoot myself between the eyes, truly i will do it..
and bugger off to iams, stop your nasty crap and just be normal with us, what a total bunch of freaks. it just makes you wonder who works there, what sort of people would work in such a place, i know i would rather starve.

chico2
July 8th, 2004, 06:34 PM
No Glasslass,he's not deaf,usually it's white cats with two blue eyes,Vinnie is an oddity in more ways than one :D but not deaf!! The youngest of the bunch at 2yrs.

glasslass
July 8th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Oh good! Then I won't feel guilty about admiring the effect! It's soooooo cute! :D