Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

JanM - How's Bobby?

Ford Girl
July 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hey JanM, since there have been other requests for updates, it made me think of Bobby. :angel: How's Bobby doing with his new treatment and daily routine?

And of course, Amber. :crazy: How's that crazy girl doing?

Any new pictures? :shrug: Broccoli adventrures? :D

JanM
July 4th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Hi there and thanks for asking! Bobby is doing quite well actually but the poor guy got a Urinary Tract infection a while ago. I tried the cranberry and acidophilus but it didn't seem to help so I broke down and put him on antibiotics. Had another urinalysis done yesterday to see how things are and the infection has cleared - but he is still incontinent. I'm kinda wondering if the Purina Hypoallergenic food could have caused the incontinence - I just don't know. He is now on First Mate Hypoallergenic food and is (so far) tolerating it well. The vet wants to put him on another medication for the incontinence but I want to wait a few days to see how he does before jumping into more meds.

Other than that, he is moving really well but I've restricted his exercise to a maximum of 1 hr - just walking -in the morning. Today, though, he really wanted to go out in the afternoon so we took a leash walk - he went about 10 minutes before he flagged and I brought him home. He looks good and his face has softened so very much - he smiles now too! Gotta love it..

Amber - well, Amber is her usual dynamo self. She is such a good girl - most of the time! We had another period of her being aggressive - in two fights in a week so it was back to the drawing board with her. I got pretty sloppy in her handling and saw she was doing some things that should be stopped but I just didn't do it - things like doing a perimeter check of the yard before and after our outings. I've stopped that and am doing a couple of other things with her and today we met two new dogs with no problem. I've registered Amber for agility training - we start at the end of this month. She'll be awesome at it! I started a week ago with the "Over" and "Under" and she's got them aced! It'll be a fun time for us.

No new pictures - I should have taken a couple today because I groomed them both and for about 5 minutes they both looked absolutely great :)

Hope Dazy is well and happy!

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Jan, I forget--was Bobby put on pred as well as the HA?

Amber in agility! Awesome! :thumbs up

Frenchy
July 4th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I think FG forgot to mention , she wanted pictures updates too :p

That cool about the agility classes ! I'm glad Bobby is doing better :goodvibes:

JanM
July 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Jan, I forget--was Bobby put on pred as well as the HA?

Amber in agility! Awesome! :thumbs up

I did not go with the prednisone (sp?) - just glucosamine. I'm not one to take meds myself and when I learned all the scary stuff about prednisone I just couldn't go with it. If things change for the worse I'll rethink that of course but for now, the glucosamine has done wonders for him!

I've been somewhat wrapped up in handling Bobby's latest problem so I sure haven't been posting much at all but I definitely will fill everyone in on Amber's Agility Training - I'm really excited about it myself...

JanM
July 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I think FG forgot to mention , she wanted pictures updates too :p

That cool about the agility classes ! I'm glad Bobby is doing better :goodvibes:

Pictures will come soon - I'll be in Edmonton for a couple of days so when I get back I promise I'll get some new pics!

Frenchy
July 4th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Pictures will come soon - I'll be in Edmonton for a couple of days so when I get back I promise I'll get some new pics!

ok then , hurry back :yell:

:D

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I did not go with the prednisone (sp?) - just glucosamine.

I was just wondering, because pred can cause increased urination. I hope you figure out what's going on soon! :fingerscr

Ford Girl
July 7th, 2008, 03:28 PM

WHAT? And you didn't bring them here for me to dog sit while you are up there? Only 3 hours away Jan!!! :yell: :sad: :shrug: :laughing:

Glad he's doing ok, I do think about him, such a kind soul in a very cute furry body. :angel: Keep us posted, we want updates regularly, and of course pictures. :cloud9:

Amber reminds me so much of Dazy, and I agree, it's when us humans slack off or forget to do our part that they then seem to step up to leader or revert back to their own ways...and once you realize it's your slack, and get back at it, they really do follow whats expected of them. Some dogs are just alwasy ready and willing to be the boss. :shrug: Dazy and Amber are cut from the same cloth...beautiful shiney naughty gold cloth. :lovestruck: She will like agility, you will too, we enjoyed it alot. They really are built and equiped to do sports like that, a tad on the goofy side to take it seriously, but enjoy it none the less. :thumbs up

rainbow
July 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hi there and thanks for asking! Bobby is doing quite well actually but the poor guy got a Urinary Tract infection a while ago. I tried the cranberry and acidophilus but it didn't seem to help so I broke down and put him on antibiotics. Had another urinalysis done yesterday to see how things are and the infection has cleared - but he is still incontinent. I'm kinda wondering if the Purina Hypoallergenic food could have caused the incontinence - I just don't know. He is now on First Mate Hypoallergenic food and is (so far) tolerating it well. The vet wants to put him on another medication for the incontinence but I want to wait a few days to see how he does before jumping into more meds.

I don't think the food would cause the incontinence. Since you aren't a fan of the meds here is some info for herbal treatment options for incontinence from the dog aware website (about 1/3 down the page) .....

http://www.dogaware.com/incontinence.html

Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

JanM
July 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think the food would cause the incontinence. Since you aren't a fan of the meds here is some info for herbal treatment options for incontinence from the dog aware website (about 1/3 down the page) .....

http://www.dogaware.com/incontinence.html

Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

WOW - thanks for the link, Rainbow. - Lots of excellent information there. I was particularly interested to read that Steroids can cause Incontinence - he was on them for a short while and it was after we stopped them that I noticed his incontinence. I'm just back in town today and the sitter hasn't noticed any problems and I haven't seen any either so maybe, just maybe, it has taken that time for the Steroids to work out of his system and the Incontinence to clear up. I'll sure keep that link though - great, in-depth, easy to understand information!

Thanks again!

JanM
July 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=Ford Girl;619224]WHAT? And you didn't bring them here for me to dog sit while you are up there? Only 3 hours away Jan!!! :yell: :sad: :shrug: :laughing:

Couldn't take the puppies on the Air Canada flights or I would have :laughing:

Glad he's doing ok, I do think about him, such a kind soul in a very cute furry body. Keep us posted, we want updates regularly, and of course pictures.

He truly is a kind soul - I'll get pictures as soon as I can. Tomorrow Amber goes out for her wilderness walk with the pack of dogs and Bobby and I will just do the Beach but I'll see what the afternoon brings for getting pictures..

Frenchy
July 9th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Bobby and I will just do the Beach but I'll see what the afternoon brings for getting pictures..

yesssss :goodvibes: